If I don't get in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee4drug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Now I am starting to worry that I might not get into any pharmacy school this year. In case that happens, do you have any suggestion as to what I should do before applying again? Should I try to find a job at a pharmacy and work at there for a year, or should I land a research position in my professor's lab to gain some research experience? Or is there any other option (biotech, maybe) for me to avoid idling for a full year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

coffee4drug said:
Hi folks. Now I am starting to worry that I might not get into any pharmacy school this year. In case that happens, do you have any suggestion as to what I should do before applying again? Should I try to find a job at a pharmacy and work at there for a year, or should I land a research position in my professor's lab to gain some research experience? Or is there any other option (biotech, maybe) for me to avoid idling for a full year? Thanks!

Hello,it is not just you.Life must go on.Just occupy your time with some more classes and work.What schools did you apply to.

coffee4drug said:

Don't lose hope yet. I know the waiting game is difficult, but hang in there. :) In case you don't get in this year, you should do things that would make you a more competitive applicant for next year. When you reapply again, some schools may ask how you had improved within the past year. If it's GPA that you need to raise, work on that. If it's extracurricular or work experience, work on that. Basically, do whatever it is that you think will make you a more competitive applicant than the previous year. But this of course is the worst case scenario. Don't lose hope :) . You have yet to hear the responses from some of the schools that you have applied to. Just think- at least you had made it as far as the interview process. Some applicants didn't even get as far as you. Best wishes in all that you do. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the cheers. I over-estimated myself and applied to only three schools: UCSF, SD, and USC. Now, all my stakes are on UCSD, the result from which will be revealed hopefully this week.

hey, im a perfect example. i was feeling hopeless like you are right now. the first yr i applied i was denied cos i didnt have a degree. but look at me now, i got accepted to USC and not have to be on the waitlist.

my secret was, after being denied, i worked for an @sshole pharmacist, at Verdugo pharmacy somewhere around glendale (dont work for him, btw) for about 4 months, finished up my prereqs and madeup my biolab final exam from UCSD in dec to get my BS of pharm chem

there's always hope, keep that in mind!

looks like u still have a good chance w/ ucsd. it's not over until u receive that dreadful letter. but it's good that you're planning ahead. i think it's best to devote yourself completely to pharmacy, ie increase ur chances. get a tech license, work as a pharm tech, perhaps for a hospital and a retail. retake any classes u didnt do too well on and get As in them. just do whatever to show that you took this seriously and you've done everything to improve urself. but ya gl. those are tough tough schools.

Waiting sucks....I admit it. But, I remind myself that it isn't over until it really is.

If I was in your shoes, I would get my pharmacy tech license (which I hear isn't too hard to get....check the govt. site and see if you can just submit your transcripts. I wish I did it.) That experience is valuable since you will be familiarizing with drugs you'll be learning in pharmacy school.

Don't worry until the end. You'll be fine.

coffee4drug said:

Hey...I'm in the same situation....I just got rejected from my first choice....but I'm still waiting for three other schools. Although I haven't heard anything from them yet, I'm also starting to worry that I might not get into pharmacy school this year.
So I was starting to think of a back-up plan in case I don't get in...and I really have many options.

1. I can get my bachelors in biology this summer, and find a job with that...or
2. I can just stay at Montclair and take more classes (like Biochem and Immunology)
or
3. I was thinking of graduating....taking the GRE....and applying to grad school....even if I don't finish my masters before applying to pharmacy school...it will still make me a more competitive applicant.

I have worked in retail for almost 5 years...so that's really all I know..and I enjoy it...but recently I started thinking about research. I talked to a pharmacist that works for BERLEX, and he said that most of the people in research have both a PharmD and a PhD. So I'm thinking now that grad school might be a really good idea.

I think that before you apply you should definitely take more classes, even if its just one class...it can only increase your knowledge...so its worth it.
Also find a new job. Even if you have a job now...can you really learn anything new from it?

Well, good luck, hope this helps!

Contact your schools of interest and ask them why you didnt get accepted. That will shed a little light on your what you need to work on. If you dont have a degree, get one, if you have a degree take some advanced classes. Get better or more relavent letters of recommendation. Work or volunteer in some pharmacy related field. Volunteer in the community. Practice your interview techniques.

I've read that if you don't get in this year, you should first do what you must to get a B.S. Then if you have done that, you should consider taking some graduate courses, to show that you're serious about your education, and pharmacy experience always helps too. I don't know your situation, but this is what I would do. Good luck with everything!