If I fail Level2CE but do well on Step2CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heychloe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my Level2 and Step2 scheduled back to back: Step2 upcoming Friday and Level2 the next day(saturday).
I've been concentrating on Step2 CK and looks like I will easily score above 240 based on my UWSA score.
I plan on cramming OPP on Friday evening right after my Step2.

I figured it would be fine because my #1 choices of residencies are "Step required" places and won't care too much for my level.
I had similar strategy for Step1 and Level1, but I had 1 whole day to study for OPP (ended up studying only half day anyway) and scored above average w/ comfortable margin in both exams. Never even touched the Combank or Comquest, but my OPP score was shockingly right on 'average' on Level1. (I usually just barely pass my school's written OPP exams )

At least one day in between Level 2 and Step2 would have been ideal too, but there's just no opening. (You know how prometrics are so full!)
I don't want to take the darn comsae b/c I think I'd rather use that 4 hours to study OPP, and those are such a waste of time since it has a terrible predictive value, and you can't review wrong questions. But again, I haven't done any combanks for level 2 either lol. I plan on doing some OPP combank the evening after the Step2.

But now, with few days left from exam date, I'm freaking out and hope you guys can calm me down lol.
Given my good general knowledge of medicine based on UWSA score, I should be fine even if I guess half the OPP q's right???
What if I fail Level 2 CE?
What if I really barely squeak by w/ 400?
It's not that bad, given my good Step 1&2 scores and my choice or residency programs, right?
Right guys? Please say yes lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you think you can pass step II, then you basically pass level II by default. I think I studied the DO stuff for a solid 30 minutes before the test. It won't make or break anything. Back to back days will be pretty draining on you though, but I'd bet you won't affect the end result.

Reactions: 1 users
If you think you can pass step II, then you basically pass level II by default. I think I studied the DO stuff for a solid 30 minutes before the test. It won't make or break anything. Back to back days will be pretty draining on you though, but I'd bet you won't affect the end result.

Thank you!!! :kiss:
Your words are sweeter than nectar to my ears. Lol
I hope this helps me sleep tonight :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to play devil’s advocate- I’d put off Level 2 so you have a little bit of time for Combank and OPP (which isn’t likely fresh in your head from in-house preclinical exams anymore). You’re right that residencies probably care more about your USMLE score, but you need to pass COMLEX to graduate and get a license. I agree COMLEX is easier, and chances are decent your plan could work out, but if exhaustion and having forgotten all your viscerosomatics and whatnot make you fail, you’ll be between a rock and a hard place. It would suck to be sitting on a baller USMLE score but be off schedule because of COMLEX.

Just wanna give you guys an update now that I got my score back

Approaching the exams, these were my assessment scores (in chronological order)

NBME 198
nBME 213
Uwsa1 237
Nbme 218
Uwsa 242

I stuck with the plan and took my Step2CK on 29th and Level 2CE the following day (30th). I didn’t sleep well the whole week so it was definitely rough doing it back to back.

Step2CK really freaked me out because the stem was so much longer and complicated than any of the Nbme exams I took. I barely had enough time to finish the exam. I also had the unfortunate luck of starting my period in the middle of the exam so that was distracting and took away extra time.

After step2 I went back to campus, went for a run then started studying. I basically did the Combank’s OPP section and the bioethics section for ~4 hours. That was the full extent of my prepping for comlex2CE.

During exam, I had about 50% OPP, and 15% legal questions about lawsuits. The real medical questions were far and between but easy peasy. I was given 4 hours for the first 4 blocks but finished in 3 hours. Instead of taking lunch break, i let the exam clock run and took a nap for about 30 min in front of the computer. Then took a lunch break and slept some more. I was sleepy to say the least.

My step2CK score 248, 11pt higher than step1

Level2CE is 526, 70 points lower than Level 1(I had given myself 1 whole day break in between step 1 and level1)

I scored borderline on OPP, diagnostic technology and peds.

I am satisfied with the result and doubt that my Level2CE score would have been much better even if I had given it an extra day of study. But man, back to back was exhausting indeed. Thank goodness for the naps

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanna give you guys an update now that I got my score back

Approaching the exams, these were my assessment scores (in chronological order)

NBME 198
nBME 213
Uwsa1 237
Nbme 218
Uwsa 242

I stuck with the plan and took my Step2CK on 29th and Level 2CE the following day (30th). I didn’t sleep well the whole week so it was definitely rough doing it back to back.

Step2CK really freaked me out because the stem was so much longer and complicated than any of the Nbme exams I took. I barely had enough time to finish the exam. I also had the unfortunate luck of starting my period in the middle of the exam so that was distracting and took away extra time.

After step2 I went back to campus, went for a run then started studying. I basically did the Combank’s OPP section and the bioethics section for ~4 hours. That was the full extent of my prepping for comlex2CE.

During exam, I had about 50% OPP, and 15% legal questions about lawsuits. The real medical questions were far and between but easy peasy. I was given 4 hours for the first 4 blocks but finished in 3 hours. Instead of taking lunch break, i let the exam clock run and took a nap for about 30 min in front of the computer. Then took a lunch break and slept some more. I was sleepy to say the least.

My step2CK score 248, 11pt higher than step1

Level2CE is 526, 70 points lower than Level 1(I had given myself 1 whole day break in between step 1 and level1)

I scored borderline on OPP, diagnostic technology and peds.

I am satisfied with the result and doubt that my Level2CE score would have been much better even if I had given it an extra day of study. But man, back to back was exhausting indeed. Thank goodness for the naps
50% OPP??????????????????????????????????????????????????? is savarese good enough for that part in comlex 2?

50% OPP??????????????????????????????????????????????????? is savarese good enough for that part in comlex 2?
A friend who spent a whole week studying opp and sarvarese thought sarvarses don’t help much. But I wouldnt know since I hardly studied for opp

A friend who spent a whole week studying opp and sarvarese thought sarvarses don’t help much. But I wouldnt know since I hardly studied for opp
were the comlex 2 opp questions not the same type as comlex 1 opp questions?

Anyone know how a 40ish point drop on level two will look to PDs? Both comlex still above 600. Step 1 low 240s, step 2 8 points higher.