If I've taken and done well on both Step 1 and 2, do I need to upload COMLEX to ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Or can I save the $80 COMLEX processing fee that ERAS charges. I'm not applying to any former AOA programs.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you prove that you will graduate medical school? USMLE is not a graduation requirement for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish there were a sneaky workaround where your school can put scores on your MSPE
If you have both scores people won’t care if COMLEX is lower for the most part. What are your score breakdowns?

Or can I save the $80 COMLEX processing fee that ERAS charges. I'm not applying to any former AOA programs.
Under the terms of the NRMP Match Agreement, programs could argue that you're committing a Match violation by not submitting your COMLEX results. The Match Agreement for Applicants (section 6.3) states:

Applicants who submit incomplete, misleading, false, or plagiarized information may be deemed to have violated this Agreement. The omission of any information pertinent to a program’s decision to rank an applicant may be deemed a violation of this Agreement. The applicant is responsible for disclosing any information regarding, among other things, the ability to satisfy program requirements; circumstances that may delay or adversely impact an applicant’s ability to commence training with a matched program on the program’s start date; or information relevant to licensure status or visa status.

A program could reasonably argue that by not submitting COMLEX results, you're withholding information that they would consider pertinent to how they might rank you.

• Love
Under the terms of the NRMP Match Agreement, programs could argue that you're committing a Match violation by not submitting your COMLEX results. The Match Agreement for Applicants (section 6.3) states:

A program could reasonably argue that by not submitting COMLEX results, you're withholding information that they would consider pertinent to how they might rank you.

DO students already don't have to submit USMLE scores

DO students already don't have to submit USMLE scores
ERAS does not require DO students to disclose USMLE scores, but the NRMP takes a different view. There is a theoretical risk that a program that discovered that a DO applicant that they matched had withheld USMLE scores could successfully ask NRMP to invalidate the match on the basis that the applicant did not disclose the scores. At that point, it's likely more effort than it's worth for the program, but the risk exists under the terms of the Match agreement.

There's also an argument to make that programs could interpret a DO not releasing COMLEX scores as an effort at hiding something. Programs will generally know that DOs take COMLEX, or at least will see that other DO applicants have provided COMLEX scores. So they may see a DO who is not releasing those scores as someone who's trying to hide a low or even a failing score. That potentially could screen an applicant out. 59.4% of program directors across all specialties indicated that a failing COMLEX score is a factor they consider when selecting applicants to interview. They could reasonably assume a DO applicant not submitting COMLEX scores was trying to hide something and just move on to the next application without wanting to take a risk on someone who potentially had a failing COMLEX score.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Most likely what would happen is programs would consider your application incomplete and you’d never get reviewed.

Rule of thumb when applying to residency is you don’t want to be the person that stands out in a bad way. Not having a COMLEX score report when everyone else does falls under that category

This is asked all the time. The programs that care about usmle don’t care what your comlex scores are. Yes you need your comlex scores uploaded because you have to pass them to graduate. Don’t do something stupid and tank your application for $80, it’s incredibly short sighted.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for giving me a reality check. I will bite the bullet and pay the $80.

So I have a lower COMLEX Level 2 score. I have been doing well on Step 2 practice exams and am planning to rely on my Step 2 scores. Do I even need to assign my COMLEX scores to programs? If they see my lower Level 2 score will that affect me negatively if I have a high Step 2 score?

Use it as a badge of honor
So I have a lower COMLEX Level 2 score. I have been doing well on Step 2 practice exams and am planning to rely on my Step 2 scores. Do I even need to assign my COMLEX scores to programs? If they see my lower Level 2 score will that affect me negatively if I have a high Step 2 score?

Programs will view you as incomplete without a COMLEX score, your app won’t even be looked at

For the love of god, yes. Please submit the scores of the board exam YOU'RE REQUIRED TO TAKE TO GRADUATE AND BECOME A PHYSICIAN.