• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

lokobo

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
not unless it was boring because you didn't work directly with patients... and even then you can work with patients in radiology

About the Ads

nutcancer

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
pathology is a very cellular and biochemical field. the kinds of gross pathology on imaging i would imagine has very little to do with reading pathology out of robbins! i guess both fields are related to the structural progression of disease.

DCMDtobe

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Agree with above: it depends on why you didn't like Path. If it was purely the micro stuff, that's one thing. If you disliked some of the pathophyst, the encyclopedic requirements, the minutiae, that might be another. (Not that rads is all minutiae, but you'll have to go through a lot of it before you become full fledged.)

Maybe read through this rad-resident message board. It might give you a good, though indirect answer to your question:

http://www.auntminnie.com/forum/m.aspx?m=18054&mpage=1&key=

(may have to create a log in)

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
would I also find Diagnostic Radiology boring?

If you studied really hard for histology would you do well on a gross anatomy exam?

Apples and oranges, my friend.

DCMDtobe

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The word of Hans is usually golden, so how about a clarification of the studying-for-the-wrong-test thing.

If I really disliked training for that marathon, should I take on the challenge of training for a triathalon?

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I dont think thats a fair analogy, one sport IS, by definition, RUNNING and the other also includes RUNNING, so of course if you hated one you would hate the other. Even so, if an athlete hates running long distances, it doesn't mean he can't enjoy being a sprinter.

My analogy was meant to illustrate that pathology involves studying disease at the cellular level verus radiology which studies disease at the anatomic level. I, too, do not find cellular pathology all that interesting. Sure, I can point out lots of mitotic divisions in a cancer, but otherwise the cells all look pretty much the same to me.

Radiology, OTOH, is fascinating to me. I am fascinated by the structural relationships between the organs. (Incidentally, I also happen to be interested in modern architecture and maps).

Its analagous to medicine versus surgery. Treat a disease at the molecular level with some receptor-inhibitor or anti-body or channel blocker or treat a structural disease by operating. Its a totally different scale and approach. Likewise, if I had to choose between medicine and surgery, I'd probably pick surgery.

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
would I also find Diagnostic Radiology boring?

It depends on why you find path boring? Is it because of no interaction with patients? Then probably.

MD Dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
It's not so much the lack of interaction with the patients.

When I was in Path, I found it interesting, for a week or two, but then I began getting really antsy. I couldn't handle being behind the microscope, constantly looking at slides and trying to detect anomolies, the slow pace, being confined to the limited space of the path lab, etc.

I see some of these same qualities in Radiology and I wonder if I would get antsy in the reading room as well. What do you think?

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2001
West of the Haight
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's not so much the lack of interaction with the patients.

When I was in Path, I found it interesting, for a week or two, but then I began getting really antsy. I couldn't handle being behind the microscope, constantly looking at slides and trying to detect anomolies, the slow pace, being confined to the limited space of the path lab, etc.

I see some of these same qualities in Radiology and I wonder if I would get antsy in the reading room as well. What do you think?

As a resident in pathology (and usually as an attending in private practice), the days that you are strictly stuck behind a scope are few and far between, IMO. I don't think med student rotations do it justice (just as rads rotations for med students probably don't mimic residency either). I had a difficult time deciding between the two specialties, but ended up choosing path. Carry on.

medinah

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How did you decide between Radiology and Pathology? I too am going thru that very same predicament. Can you be specific please...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.