If I want to do GI.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigchen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still can't decide my rank list. Given that I really want to do GI (prefer in Cali), how should I rank UW, UCD, USC, Cedars, UCI, Mayo, U Chicago?

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the programs that you mention are great IM programs. Let me offer that USC is often overlooked, but has a great GI department. Most of the faculty trained under THE Yamada. Some pretty impressive people work at USC including Dr. Laine. They take 5 fellows a year and nearly all are USC residents. If you can stomach the old county hospital (no pun intended) I'd say rank them high. And the new hospital will be open by the time you are a fellow. Hope this helps.

cadoc said:
Many of the programs that you mention are great IM programs. Let me offer that USC is often overlooked, but has a great GI department. Most of the faculty trained under THE Yamada. Some pretty impressive people work at USC including Dr. Laine. They take 5 fellows a year and nearly all are USC residents. If you can stomach the old county hospital (no pun intended) I'd say rank them high. And the new hospital will be open by the time you are a fellow. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your input. Cedars had put many residents to GI (20 over the past 5 yrs, I think). But I dont' know where though. Unfortunately they don't have their own GI fellowship. Do you have any suggestions? Do you still think USC might be better? THANKS AGAIN!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
pigchen said:
Thanks so much for your input. Cedars had put many residents to GI (20 over the past 5 yrs, I think). But I dont' know where though. Unfortunately they don't have their own GI fellowship. Do you have any suggestions? Do you still think USC might be better? THANKS AGAIN!!!

of the programs you listed, uw and mayo have the best national reputations and would likely help you get into a good gi program somewhere.

of the california programs, cedars boasts of a great overall gi department. the inflammatory bowel disease center is top-notch. but they only have 1 internal spot, and that doesn't necessarily go to a cedars resident.

i thought usc only had 3 gi spots per year. their residency classes tend to be good, with a mix of strong fmgs and us grads that like the grueling county training. 2/3 gi spots last year went to usc residents, i think.

good luck. :)

IMO and many others, U Chicago and Mayo have two of the best GI departments in the country. There are many big names at those places; Sanborne (Mayo) and Hanauer (Chicago) to name two specifically. Remember, letters of rec from "big-wigs" are huge for getting a fellowship.

Pigchen,
UW and UChicago in whatever order you choose. End of discussion. Train at the best program that will give you the best skills and their reputation nationwide speaks volume even for the top Cali GI programs like UCSF, Stanford, and UCLA. Good luck. :thumbup:

pigchen said:
Still can't decide my rank list. Given that I really want to do GI (prefer in Cali), how should I rank UW, UCD, USC, Cedars, UCI, Mayo, U Chicago?
Based on reputation:
1)UW (breaks the tie with U Chicago if you want to practice in Cali)
2)U Chicago
3)Mayo
4)Cedars
5)USC
6)UCD/UCI (don't know about these too much)

can't go wrong with any of them, but most of the best and well-reputed GI docs trained at Mayo for residency and/or their GI fellowships.

Mayo residency while excellent cannot rival UW and UChicago. Mayo fellowships on the other hand can hold its own with any program in the nation. Would still recommend UW numero uno as cardsman suggested.

A big thanks to all of you! As of this moment, I am ranking UW (Cat and PC)>UC Davis> U Chicago> Cedars> Harbor-UCLA> Mayo.

** UC Davis is higher than others due to location....

One quick question - am I in a disadvantage for GI if I am in primary care track at UW vs. categorical elsewhere?