If Im doing a Masters, when should I apply to D school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laugh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning on re-taking the DAT this summer. Im also starting a Masters program in the Fall. Its a 1 year masters program. So... should I apply this up coming cycle or wait till I complete my masters degree? If I apply this up coming cycle D-schools wont get my grades till Dec when I update them on AADSAS. The whole point Im doing a masters is to make up for my sub-par GPA (3.21). So should I still apply this up coming cycle? How will D-schools know Im starting a MS program? Im planning on saying something about it in my personal statement. At least I think I will, not sure though. Any thoughts? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation as you. Going to start a 1-year masters this fall. I am definitely going to apply this upcoming cycle for fall 2010. I will use the future coursework section to indicate the classes I will be taking in the fall and then update schools/AADSAS with a transcript in december. Hopefully my recent postbac work and DAT scores will land me an interview or 2. I'm also debating whether to state something about my masters program in my personal statement. I think if I get to a point where I'm going to talk about challegning myself academically then I will include it in there , otherwise they will know when they see my transcripts on AADSAS. good luck

Wow. Nice DAT score. Very nice! How did you get a 23 TS? How long did you study for? What Masters program are you doing, if you dont mind me asking? I think I too will apply this cycle and somehow let schools know Im in a Masters program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the compliments. I studied like crazy for a little over 2months, almost 9-10hour days of good studying . I used a lot of resources (princeton review hyperlearning mcat series, ap cliffs biology, dat destroyer, achiever, topscore, kaplan subject tests, crack dat pat, crack dat math (not that great imo), princeton review SAT II math workbook) below is a link to my DAT breakdown so hopefully that can help you out some more.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=562983&highlight=DAT+done+frapped

I'm thinking of applying to the UMDNJ -MBS program, where you have the option of taking 2 dental school courses with the dental students. Its close to my house and since I'm instate its cheaper (18k) compared to BU and Tufts (40k) I figure if I live at home I dont have to spend money on room/food etc. I think im still going to send out an application to BU and Tufts just incase if i don't get into UMDNJ.

I applied before entering my one year master's program (applied in May, started masters in August) Just make sure to mention that you are in the program and what classes you will be taking. However don't be surprised when they put your application on hold to see the fall grades. I got two more interviews this year up from one last year and one acceptance and a waitlist so in a ways I think sometimes showing the extra effort is all they need. I am hoping that more comes after I submit grades.

Albuterol, I am in that UMDNJ - MBS program right now. I really enjoy it here - well except for the fact that it is Newark (but it is really close to NYC) & the administrations of the master program is slightly disorganized.

I applied in May 2008 and started the program in August, and I got accepted. So I say apply in May, because you never know you could get in & then you can just finish the masters program in a year.

Albuterol, if you have any questions about the program or anything, let me know.

lily- thanks so much, all the info about the umdnj-mbs program on the threads is stuff I could find on the website. I'll definitely be shooting over a pm to you.

laugh where are you doing your masters?

are you accepted to any masters program already?
I have been studying masters program since fall 2008 and it's one year program. you'd better go to school that has a dental school if your stats are not competitive. Please PM me if you have further questions. I can share more about my program.

Im planning on re-taking the DAT this summer. Im also starting a Masters program in the Fall. Its a 1 year masters program. So... should I apply this up coming cycle or wait till I complete my masters degree? If I apply this up coming cycle D-schools wont get my grades till Dec when I update them on AADSAS. The whole point Im doing a masters is to make up for my sub-par GPA (3.21). So should I still apply this up coming cycle? How will D-schools know Im starting a MS program? Im planning on saying something about it in my personal statement. At least I think I will, not sure though. Any thoughts? Thanks

Do you know when the umdnj ms program's application comes out and when the deadline is to turn it in? I found an application on the school's website but I'm not sure if it's this year's or last's.

The application is the same every year. You just indicate which Fall semester you are applying for by writing in the year. The deadline to turn it in is June 1st. I think if you turned it in between feb-march you'd have a real good shot of getting in. My health advisor said this program is getting more competitive each year.

The application is the same every year. You just indicate which Fall semester you are applying for by writing in the year. The deadline to turn it in is June 1st. I think if you turned it in between feb-march you'd have a real good shot of getting in. My health advisor said this program is getting more competitive each year.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

I found myself in the same situation as you and decided to wait until after I had completed my Masters program. The whole point of doing the masters is to prove that you can hang at the graduate level right? So I wanted to have the grades to show them so that there would be no doubt about my skills - ALSO applying was such a strenuous and time consuming process that if I was going to school full-time (and working full-time) I would have had about ten meltdowns during the process. Just my two-cents - but do what you feel you need to - GOOD LUCK TO ALL! ;)

where did you complete your MPH from?

Hey guys, I am graduating in May and just recently realized I want to pursue a career in dentistry. My GPA is 3.6 overall, 3.5 science (biology major). I was thinking about doing a 1 year masters at a school that also has a dental school on the same campus (I will be in-state). I was going to study for the DAT this spring and take it as soon as I feel prepared. Do you think I will be able to get interviews before I finish the first semester of the masters program and update my grades? Ideally, I'd love to know that I am in next December 1st and not have to stress out about the rest of the Masters program. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or has been in my position before, I'd love to get some feedback. I wish I would have realized I wanted to pursue dentistry sooner and applied for next years entering class. If I knew I could get in without doing a masters program, I would just get a job and work for a year while applying, but I figured it'd look much better and greatly approve my chances if I did the masters program...thoughts?

A few friends mentioned this site to me, and it seems like a great resource, I wish I would have known about it sooner.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

dental guy
you have a great gpa- masters is generally for someone with a low gpa.
focus on doing well on the DAT and getting the highest possible score. With your gpa I'd aim for atleast 20s across. Good luck.

Thanks Albuterol, if masters programs are better suited for people with lower GPA's what would you or anyone else here recommend I do? I personally think that doing the masters program will show them that I am dedicated and increase my chances of getting in next cycle. I plan on studying for the DAT over christmas break and during the spring semester and taking it in april or may before I start to apply in may. I just want to be as sure as possible that I am going to have to go through this process once, even if it means doing a masters program. I really am not sure what other options are out there besides a masters program.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

With your stats, I wouldn't even consider doing a masters. As the other poster noted, masters is generally for those with a lower GPA. In my opinion, I would just get a job, but in this economy I don't know how easy that will be. You may be able to find a job as a dental intern or something. Instead of doing a masters, try a post-bac or summer program to keep you busy. Also, another thing to consider is cost. Do you really want to put on any extra debt before enrolling in dental school? Plus, if you do enroll in a masters, you'd have to miss classes to go on interviews, etc. Just do well on the DAT (at least a 19, but shoot for a 20). Apply in late May/early June as well, since dschools have a rolling admissions process. Just my 2 cents.