if my dad is reading this...and you know who you are...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saki0005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so we were driving home last night and my dad busted out with "what's your science gpa?" WTF! where did this come from? why is he asking me this late in the process? so i told him and he was like..."that's bad. shouldn't it be well above a 3.5?" apparently he's been doing research on the internet (i'm 99% certain he frequents this site as he has recently added "troll" and "gunner" to his vocabulary) and his concern in my ability of getting into med school is growing.

HEY DAD: if you are reading this post, PLEASE stop screwing with my nerves! i don't need you making me feel worse about a situation that is now completely out of my control (aside from bribery of admissions committe members, but don't worry. i'm all over it.)

Members don't see this ad.

Luuuuuuuuuuke......

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO, moms are worse trust me! "why havent you heard any news yet", "schools are stopping interviewing in february", "have you started applying to grad schools" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: they have such a knack for saying things that make you explode, then cry :oops:

yeah I"ve stopped updating my parents on the whole process...

You can't be serious...

i think "whats your science gpa?" is better than the crap my parents ask me. i cannot possibly count the number of times ive outlined the 'primary application, secondary application, interview, decision' scheme and they still dont know what is going on.

Im really hoping to not inform them at all about the process, except about how slim my chances are. (regardless of my chances). this, of course, means ill have to pay for it on my own

whenever i see my family, they want to know two things:
1) what kind of questions do I get asked in interviews, and
2) what are my answers?
man, mock interviews were great before i started this process, but by now the last thing i want to do on my offtime is relive them!!! :scared:

My parents know nothing about the application process, and they don't seem to really care to learn much about it either. They are supportive, but in their eyes this is my thing and they don't feel the need to get involved.

wends said:
LMAO, moms are worse trust me! "why havent you heard any news yet", "schools are stopping interviewing in february", "have you started applying to grad schools" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: they have such a knack for saying things that make you explode, then cry :oops:

"Have you thought about applying to the Carribean? There's this Dr I work with and he has his degree from down there....."

Thanks Mom.

Members don't see this ad :)
o man...my mom is the worst...

b4 i got into the BA/MD program...my mom made me fill out all carribean school apps.

MOM: Your gonna be a doctor and thats it! I have always given what you want...you want to be a doctor?

ME : Ya of course...

MOM: alright then....here are carribean apps....

ME: mom!!! how the hell did u get carribean school apps!!!!??

MOM: I called them...

ME: Whaaaaaa! o man! mom..im not leaving the states....

MOM: you have to..im kicking you out of the house... if you dont get into a med skool in the states......

but i got luck :) :D i still love my mom though...i dont think i would be in this position if it werent for her.

oh man; my family sucks throughout this. My parents get the mail everyday so it's hard for me to keep them out of what's going on in the process. They just dont realize that its not in my hands anymore. Then they go on about how they know this person and that persons son/daughter and how they got in to school x,y,z. Im def. gonna hear it about this UCLA reject i just got. They make me feel hella bad about it, esp. b.c i applied kinda late....I think im going to change my contact info to my work address

Whew! Glad I don't have to dodge those parental bullets. You see, whenever my parents turn on the computer at home, they get a friendly message...

ATT68642.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:

crimsoncash said:
Whew! Glad I don't have to dodge those parental bullets. You see, whenever my parents turn on the computer at home, they get a friendly message...

ATT68642.jpg

:laugh: :thumbup:

I feel your pain....concerned parents and the internet are not an ideal combination. This past summer, I was trying to make flight arrangements for a research trip abroad, when my mom piped up with, "Make sure you come back before August 14th!" I asked her what was special about August 14th, and her reply: "Well, that's when the August MCAT is, isn't it?" It turned out she had Googled the MCAT and AAMC....and this was BEFORE I even got my April score back!!!!!!! :eek: :mad: I miss the days when parents simply paid for home internet access but didn't bother to use it (oh the 90's) :p

I am SO lucky. Being a non-trad does have its perks -- like your husband and your parents both agreeing that med schools must be absolute idiots because I don't have an interview or acceptance yet.

In my dad's latest email, he closed with "I hope the medical school admissions aren't being as stupid as I know they can be". I love my dad! :love: :love:

crimsoncash said:

ATT68642.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that is damn funny.

How about you SDN's with indian parents?

Yea, that's why i don't tell my mom anything, except when it's good news. Or when I'm explaining why i have no money.

Eh at least your parents care... I call my parents once a week to let them know I am alive and haven't died yet. Other than that I don't really talk to them, kind of sad but hey thats life.

For the first few years of college (I goto WashU), my mother would just make random comments about me going to medschool like "oh, well I think going to WashU med school will be fine. It's far from home but...I think it's okay."

After a while, I just couldn't hold it in anymore and started yelling at them about how hard it is to get in to any medschool and not to talk about WashU like some backup school anymore. ::sigh:: parents.

leiface said:
For the first few years of college (I goto WashU), my mother would just make random comments about me going to medschool like "oh, well I think going to WashU med school will be fine. It's far from home but...I think it's okay."

After a while, I just couldn't hold it in anymore and started yelling at them about how hard it is to get in to any medschool and not to talk about WashU like some backup school anymore. ::sigh:: parents.

I've had to give my mom the "beggers vs choosers" talk several times.

i love my mom
sadly my dad has been a pain and not supportive
hes totally cynical
and you would think going through the process himself would have taught him some apathy
this is why docs have bad reps...
you have my sympathies OP
if your dad is reading this : cut it out and get some support hose or something - this is probabbly the last time we will need you and we dont forget these things with chocolate bars anymore- because we arnt 5...also buying us off later wont work - we wont say no to the gifts but you are not getting off the hook.

saki0005 said:
i'm 99% certain he frequents this site as he has recently added "troll" and "gunner" to his vocabulary
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ross434 said:
Im really hoping to not inform them at all about the process, except about how slim my chances are. (regardless of my chances). this, of course, means ill have to pay for it on my own

aren't you the gunner who claims to be the smartest one in his school? why would your chances be slim?

I purposely teach my parents little/nothing about computers or inform them about school. You know what they say, knowledge is power, and at this point its better that I'm in power. I still want their money ...

Docta "O" said:
I purposely teach my parents little/nothing about computers or inform them about school. You know what they say, knowledge is power, and at this point its better that I'm in power. I still want their money ...
Good grief
Do I have the savviest parents?
They email they chat they buy tickets my mom even keeps weekly touristy screensavers…shes also downloads, rips, burns, uses a jump drive, edits photos, uses a scanner and dig cam and never need the clippy in ms-word.

Only joy I get is the terror-look on my dads face when he gets a popup – he screams VIRUS and calls IT

since this is the parent gripe thread, i'll contribute. i'm in at one cali school, waitlisted at 2 others, and rejected by another. told my parents about the latest situation and my mom was like, "you only got into one cali school...you're not a very good applicant are you." i have 6 acceptances in my hand and in one sentence she made it all of my hard work seem like crap. ugh, i hate how i let what they say get to me. and i'm so thankful for sdn. this is where i find encouragement and support. thank you guys!

Ugh, my dad kills me.

When he sees me studying for the MCAT, he's like, "I can't believe you're studying for that. I never studied for the MCAT, and I got blah blah, you obviously don't know what you're doing..."

Then, when I tell him I'm going out or doing something fun, he's like, "You know, you really aren't taking this MCAT seriously. Other people have been studying for this test for years, and you treat it like a joke..."

I can't win either way. :confused: :confused: :confused:

opinionkitten said:
i cannot possibly count the number of times ive outlined the 'primary application, secondary application, interview, decision' scheme and they still dont know what is going on.

"Christ mom, Davis *just* sent me their secondary!"

"So then what day are you interviewing, 'cause your car needs gas."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

LionKing said:
"Have you thought about applying to the Carribean? There's this Dr I work with and he has his degree from down there....."

Thanks Mom.

My mom wanted me to apply to some school in Guadalajara because her friend's son goes there. :rolleyes:

Psycho Doctor said:
aren't you the gunner who claims to be the smartest one in his school? why would your chances be slim?
That's the one. I was trying to remember what he'd been trolling earlier this week, but you reminded me. :D

crimsoncash said:

ATT68642.jpg

seriousbusiness3fa.jpg

UnskinnyBop said:
Ugh, my dad kills me.

When he sees me studying for the MCAT, he's like, "I can't believe you're studying for that. I never studied for the MCAT, and I got blah blah, you obviously don't know what you're doing..."

Then, when I tell him I'm going out or doing something fun, he's like, "You know, you really aren't taking this MCAT seriously. Other people have been studying for this test for years, and you treat it like a joke..."

I can't win either way. :confused: :confused: :confused:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: sorry, i feel badly for you but it sounded funny :thumbup:

TheProwler said:
That's the one. I was trying to remember what he'd been trolling earlier this week, but you reminded me. :D

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Both my parents are French Canadian so they have absolutely no clue on this whole AMCAS process. The only med school they want to know about is McGill and I hear about it every time I call them.

Since I was so broke at Christmas from this insanely expensive process, I decided to put a copy of my first and only acceptance letter so far in a card. I was accepted to my state school, which I am happy with but am hoping to go somewhere else. At least my parents know that much.

Anyway, when they received the envelope and opened it, they were so confused. I wish I had been there to see it. Apparently, they just kept arguing trying to figure out what the letter was for. They must have missed the CONGRATULATIONS right at the top in 72 font. My sister, after 5 mins of this, told them that I was accepted to med school. The reaction from my mom was something like this: "Well, she doesn't even want to go there so why is she celebrating?" Thanks mom! At least I am going for sure. It may not be Harvard, but I'll still have MD after my name!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon yet, but here goes. My dad was supportive of my application during both app cycles in which I applied. Never said anything negative, never questioned whether I was spinning my wheels when I was doing things to make my application more competitive.

Now that I got in to several schools, he suddenly becomes some kind of financial guru. All I get from him are questions about the aid packages and tuition of the different schools I could go to. Everytime I talk to him he mentions a number of different scholarships I could apply for if I sign a contract to work for the govt. after residency. It's like he's expecting to be paying for all of this himself, when he hasn't had to help me financially at all since I was a freshman in undergrad.

Not sure what it is about this process, but somehow it turned my recovering hippy, social worker dad into Donald Trump. :confused:

My parents don't care.
My mom's little mantra has always been "whatever makes you happy, dear!"
Most of the time I like this, but sometimes it's kind of frustrating not to get any direction or advice out of your parents.
Although, on a side note, whenever I get a bad grade and start to mention something about the Carribean, my mom gets this twinkle in her eye, like oooooo retirement spot....niiiiiice.

TheProwler said:
my parents don't know anything about the process, so I'm all good ;)

ditto.

DoctorFunk said:
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon yet, but here goes. My dad was supportive of my application during both app cycles in which I applied. Never said anything negative, never questioned whether I was spinning my wheels when I was doing things to make my application more competitive.

Now that I got in to several schools, he suddenly becomes some kind of financial guru. All I get from him are questions about the aid packages and tuition of the different schools I could go to. Everytime I talk to him he mentions a number of different scholarships I could apply for if I sign a contract to work for the govt. after residency. It's like he's expecting to be paying for all of this himself, when he hasn't had to help me financially at all since I was a freshman in undergrad.

Not sure what it is about this process, but somehow it turned my recovering hippy, social worker dad into Donald Trump. :confused:

Oh, I've experienced that phenomenon alright. All I hear is FAFSA, loans, blah, blah. I know it's important to get that figured out, but he's stressing me out about it a little! And he swears that Stanford rejected me because they know I can't afford to go there! (could that be true? :laugh: )

hy guys. OP here, and can't believe other people's parents are as nutty as mine.
i didn't even get to the part about my mom :D
she has MS, so cognitively/mentally she's not 100% there. sometimes she sounds like a broken record player...

mom: this woman from my MS group has a niece who got into a med school in Wisconsin. Now what was the name of that school...?

5 minutes later...

mom: this woman from my MS group has a niece who got into a med school in Wisconsin. Now what was the name of that school...College of Med...School of Wis...Medical Wis...?

3 days later...

mom: this woman from my MS group has a daughter who got into a med school in Wisconsin and she said it was really easy to get into. Now what was the name of that school...Medical School Wis...Wisconson Col...

oh man, sometimes you just have to laugh

saki0005 said:
hy guys. OP here, and can't believe other people's parents are as nutty as mine.
i didn't even get to the part about my mom :D
she has MS, so cognitively/mentally she's not 100% there. sometimes she sounds like a broken record player...

mom: this woman from my MS group has a niece who got into a med school in Wisconsin. Now what was the name of that school...?

5 minutes later...

mom: this woman from my MS group has a niece who got into a med school in Wisconsin. Now what was the name of that school...College of Med...School of Wis...Medical Wis...?

3 days later...

mom: this woman from my MS group has a daughter who got into a med school in Wisconsin and she said it was really easy to get into. Now what was the name of that school...Medical School Wis...Wisconson Col...

oh man, sometimes you just have to laugh

..or cry. that's really sad; i'm sorry. :(

this may be a dumb question, but is MS..........multiple sclerosis????

Dr. Guy,

I know what you mean about indian parents. My parents are the same way.

To the original poster,

My dad pops up with the what is your gpa question all the time if I am in the car with him, so now I hate to even talk to him, because then he gives me this spiel about how he went to a school that is quite a bit harder than even MIT. This was in india, IIT.

He then goes on to make me feel like a total idiot, so I just ignore him and don't call home anymore, so I don't have to have this conversation with him. He really makes me feel uncomfortable talking to him about anything. So know that you aren't alone.

I wish my parents were like the prowler's. That would be nice.