if my dad is reading this...and you know who you are...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UnskinnyBop said:
Ugh, my dad kills me.

When he sees me studying for the MCAT, he's like, "I can't believe you're studying for that. I never studied for the MCAT, and I got blah blah, you obviously don't know what you're doing..."

Then, when I tell him I'm going out or doing something fun, he's like, "You know, you really aren't taking this MCAT seriously. Other people have been studying for this test for years, and you treat it like a joke..."

I can't win either way. :confused: :confused: :confused:

You just described what my dad has been like ALL my life with ALL academic-related stuff. When I'm studying, he says I should go out and have more fun. WHen I DO go out, he accuses me of slacking off. :rolleyes:
Dads. He's a physicist, yet he is so irrational when it comes to parenting.

Members don't see this ad.

my mom is great. listens and doesn't give too much advice, offers just the right amount of help. supports my goals but isn't pushing me to become a doctor.

my dad is clueless but supportive and thinks i'll be a great doctor. he is pretty funny actually. he referred to the mcats as "your med-boards" no matter how often he was corrected. now he keeps lists of my status at various schools but doesn't really understand how the whole process works. no matter how many times i tell him, he can't seem to grasp the difference between a pre-interview hold and being waitlisted. it's all good, though.

i am grateful for both of my parents, especially after reading what everyone else has to say about theirs!

i completely understand why my parents are so concerned. they're getting ready to retire and just want to make sure that their kids have careers, are earning money, completing the circle of life, etc. but it's so dang annoying because there is nothing i can fricken do about this situation. i can't put all the dean's in a headlock until the let me in (hmm...or can i?)
in a way, i feel guilty for putting my parents, my husband, my friends, my family, etc. through this. now i feel like i should have just applied and not told anyone. i mean, everyone seems so invested in my situation. it's the first question everyone asks me..."any interviews?" or "have you been accepted anywhere yet?"
i guess i'm just feeling a great deal of guilt right now. and about what i was saying with my mom and her MS...if i don't get in at any of the 26 schools i've applied to, that will potentially send her into some major depression.

Members don't see this ad :)
saki0005 said:
i guess i'm just feeling a great deal of guilt right now. and about what i was saying with my mom and her MS...if i don't get in at any of the 26 schools i've applied to, that will potentially send her into some major depression.

awww...I can also relate...everytime I get put on another waitlist (3 last year and 2 so far this year), I can literally feel my dad's serotonin levels changing for the worst...

I am the only one in my entire family even remotely interested in science...my dad just doesnt understand that applying to medical school is not the same thing as trying to get business..."While in NYC next weekend, why not just knock on the admission's office door and introduce yourself..."...right dad, as if that won't promote the stereotype of the neurotic medical school applicant...the worst though is whenever I get an interview he somehow finds a friend of a friend of a friend who is a physician in that city and endlessly nags me to call them up...dad, LA is a big city...

its nice to know he cares though..:)

My father is a doc and during the course of my life has always told me to avoid being a physician. It worked for a long time. Now that I have been accepted, he has been supportive and it is a plus to have his input based on his experience.

drguy22 said:
o man...my mom is the worst...

b4 i got into the BA/MD program...my mom made me fill out all carribean school apps.

MOM: Your gonna be a doctor and thats it! I have always given what you want...you want to be a doctor?

ME : Ya of course...

MOM: alright then....here are carribean apps....

ME: mom!!! how the hell did u get carribean school apps!!!!??

MOM: I called them...

ME: Whaaaaaa! o man! mom..im not leaving the states....

MOM: you have to..im kicking you out of the house... if you dont get into a med skool in the states......

but i got luck :) :D i still love my mom though...i dont think i would be in this position if it werent for her.

She gets you a Carribean School application? WOW! Still lucky!.My mom got me a "medical technologist" application even during my sophomere year in college!

Mom: Beta guddu, get done with school in two years! and then we'll get you married to a nice desi guy. Medicine is tooo long and I don't think you'll be able to handle it!!!

Nothing against medical technology or whatever it is called , I enever looked at the application, but it feels yucky to be discouraged when I am excited about something else :rolleyes:

I still love her though :oops: :love:

priyanka said:
Nothing against medical technology or whatever it is called , I enever looked at the application, but it feels yucky to be discouraged when I am excited about something else :rolleyes:

moms are so funny sometimes. But i think you'll make an awesome docotor pri :love:

I took a semster off in college to "re-evaluate" my life. My parent flipped and thought it was the end of the world and that I was f'in my life up.

Transferred to great school, kicked ass, was an I-Banker for a few yrs, swam in dought, my parents were like, "whoa, how did my pot-head son become this person" (never said it, but they were clearly dumbfounded a bit).

Out of knowhere (as far as they knew), I told them I'm quitting to go post-bacc and on the med school 3yrs into my career. They were like "WTF, ur 26 yo. are you out of your mind!?, all your work down the drain)

Since then, throughout the process, dad was like "don't worry", "Grenada and Dominica are fine", and "don't be over confident, if Bighamton campus is easier to get into, don't choose Syracuse" (for SUNY Upstate).

When I got my MCAT scores back, my dad was like, "wow, I don't know anyone with that high of a score" (not incredible by any means).

Now I'm in and they couldn't be "prouder"/happier for me. Though they do constantly ask me about in-state waitlist vs. leaving NY for Florida. "I told you that you should have been a Dr. in HS, if you listened to me you'd be younger and wouldn't have wasted time", he says jokingly.

Reflecting back, I think that my immigrant parents struggled with being poor and worrying about financial security and making it in the US, all of which shaped their opinions. They have finally began to appreciate the opportunities they dreamt about for their children when they came here. It took a rebellious and hard headed son (I just realized I can't spell anymore) to remind them. And the best part is that I have moved from a clueless, self-centered, undisciplined, plan-less, fly by the seat of my pants type of son that they don't "get", to someone who is very much in control of his life and moving on to something he loves.

This is the land of opportunity and possibilities, I have lived it, witnessed it, and now have embraced it for myself. Best wishes to all - never forget why you became a physician. Remind yourself often throughout the grueling years to come. And smile.

My mom found out I got waitlisted at my parents' alma matter so she got on the horn and tore the secretery's head off. The dean called my dad back and he had to spend the first 5 min apologizing :eek:

skoaner said:
My mom found out I got waitlisted at my parents' alma matter so she got on the horn and tore the secretery's head off. The dean called my dad back and he had to spend the first 5 min apologizing :eek:

at least their type A personalities get you somewhere! a 2 hour coversation about why i have heard nothing but rejections so far is a little pointless :thumbdown:

skoaner said:
The dean called my dad back and he had to spend the first 5 min apologizing :eek:

The dean, or your dad? :p Funny either way....

tinkerbelle said:
moms are so funny sometimes. But i think you'll make an awesome docotor pri :love:

thanks tinks :love: And you know you will tooo:)

when people in india get accepted to med/professional school they give sondesh/sweets to their friends :thumbup: where's mine? :laugh:

flash said:
I took a semster off in college to "re-evaluate" my life. My parent flipped and thought it was the end of the world and that I was f'in my life up.

Transferred to great school, kicked ass, was an I-Banker for a few yrs, swam in dought, my parents were like, "whoa, how did my pot-head son become this person" (never said it, but they were clearly dumbfounded a bit).

Out of knowhere (as far as they knew), I told them I'm quitting to go post-bacc and on the med school 3yrs into my career. They were like "WTF, ur 26 yo. are you out of your mind!?, all your work down the drain)

Since then, throughout the process, dad was like "don't worry", "Grenada and Dominica are fine", and "don't be over confident, if Bighamton campus is easier to get into, don't choose Syracuse" (for SUNY Upstate).

When I got my MCAT scores back, my dad was like, "wow, I don't know anyone with that high of a score" (not incredible by any means).

Now I'm in and they couldn't be "prouder"/happier for me. Though they do constantly ask me about in-state waitlist vs. leaving NY for Florida. "I told you that you should have been a Dr. in HS, if you listened to me you'd be younger and wouldn't have wasted time", he says jokingly.

Reflecting back, I think that my immigrant parents struggled with being poor and worrying about financial security and making it in the US, all of which shaped their opinions. They have finally began to appreciate the opportunities they dreamt about for their children when they came here. It took a rebellious and hard headed son (I just realized I can't spell anymore) to remind them. And the best part is that I have moved from a clueless, self-centered, undisciplined, plan-less, fly by the seat of my pants type of son that they don't "get", to someone who is very much in control of his life and moving on to something he loves.

This is the land of opportunity and possibilities, I have lived it, witnessed it, and now have embraced it for myself. Best wishes to all - never forget why you became a physician. Remind yourself often throughout the grueling years to come. And smile.

Very similar to my story. I guess most immigrants have it tough especially with overly worried parents who leave a very settled life at homeland just for their kids' better future. Starting from scratch $0 in US is no joke. You truly deserve the acceptance :thumbup:

priyanka said:
Very similar to my story. I guess most immigrants have it tough especially with overly worried parents who leave a very settled life at homeland just for their kids' better future. Starting from scratch $0 in US is no joke. You truly deserve the acceptance :thumbup:

Very similar to my story as well, 2nd gen, post bacc after 3 years of business...

but in my case, my dad was alittle bit better off. He walked off the plane in NY's JFK airport with 80 US $ in his pocket and an acceptance to a College in St. Lawerence NY (near the canadian border), he didn't find out how far this was until a good samaritan took him to the NY public library to look up the actual location of the college. (he ended up not going there..)

sigh.. the days before mapquest...

My parents have been really supportive the whole way. When I went to take the MCAT my Dad drove down with me. He even made a sandwich for me during lunch time. It was really cool because when I was having trouble in school four years ago they still supported me and encouraged me. They never cast doubts on my desire to get into medicine even when I was doubting myself. Having my Dad there at one of the most important tests I had ever taken just made sense. I'm so grateful.

Medikit said:
My parents have been really supportive the whole way. When I went to take the MCAT my Dad drove down with me. He even made a sandwich for me during lunch time. It was really cool because when I was having trouble in school four years ago they still supported me and encouraged me. They never cast doubts on my desire to get into medicine even when I was doubting myself. Having my Dad there at one of the most important tests I had ever taken just made sense. I'm so grateful.

:thumbup: my parents have basically been extremely supportive too. However they do question me often "are you sure you'll be able to handle being a doctor?" after i almost passed out visiting my grandmother in ICU or "Maybe you should choose a field where you don't have to witness dying patient; it might bring back very bad memories for you and maybe you won't be able to handle it" or "i know how compassionate you feel, being a doctor is going to break your heart."

bidster said:
The dean, or your dad? :p Funny either way....
Ahh both actually.. The dean started then my dad for my mom

bonez318ti said:
Very similar to my story as well, 2nd gen, post bacc after 3 years of business...

but in my case, my dad was alittle bit better off. He walked off the plane in NY's JFK airport with 80 US $ in his pocket and an acceptance to a College in St. Lawerence NY (near the canadian border), he didn't find out how far this was until a good samaritan took him to the NY public library to look up the actual location of the college. (he ended up not going there..)

sigh.. the days before mapquest...

my poor dad came to the US with a couple bucks and a suitcase, so he could attend university. the guy who was supposed to pick him up at the airport never showed. he didn't remember this guy's phone number, but he remember his brother's #. he gave him a call and the guy apologized for his brother and picked my dad up. he dropped him off at my dad's new apartment and told him that he had to go to work, but he would be back in two hours to take him to the grocery store and show him how to buy things and what to buy, etc.
my dad waits for 2 hours and he still doesn't show up.
my dad waits for 3 hours and he still doesn't show up.
my dad waits for 2 days and this guy still doesn't show up.
so, being hungry, he left his apartment in search of food. any food! as long as it was edible.
he noticed all of these students leaving campus and walking in the same direction. he figured "it's mid-day. it's about lunch time. they all must be going out for lunch. i'll follow them."
so he followed this crowd for a couple of blocks and finally arrived at the big golden arches. he couldn't speak english so he got in the back of the long line and decided he would listen to the person in front of him and order whatever he ordered.
when the guy in front of him ordered, all he heard was "coke". he didn't understand why they called coca-cola "coke" in this country. he was confused and he hadn't heard the rest of the order so he got in the back of the line.
he kept doing this for quite a bit of time. and 2 hours later, he had a coke, fries, and a big mac :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

saki0005 said:
so he followed this crowd for a couple of blocks and finally arrived at the big golden arches. he couldn't speak english so he got in the back of the long line and decided he would listen to the person in front of him and order whatever he ordered.
when the guy in front of him ordered, all he heard was "coke". he didn't understand why they called coca-cola "coke" in this country. he was confused and he hadn't heard the rest of the order so he got in the back of the line.
he kept doing this for quite a bit of time. and 2 hours later, he had a coke, fries, and a big mac :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That story makes me smile every time I think about it :laugh: :thumbup:

saki0005 said:
That's gotta be a long line if he waited for 2 hours total, despite going through the line several times :)

Medikit said:
man, mine always have too much stuff to do to do that kind of thing for me