If my GPA is low, should i take 6 classes to prove that i can handle opto school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 science classes (2nd yr, all with labs) 2 arts classes (1st year)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, would you be able to get decent grades if you did this? What's the reason your GPA is low in the first place?

Well, would you be able to get decent grades if you did this? What's the reason your GPA is low in the first place?

I really have no idea- perhpas my laziness is coinciding with my ability to do well or because I HATE bio, at my school.

Ultimatley, the material is not difficult at all so I just dont do it, or I do it at the last minute.

The only thing Im worried about if I take the 6 courses is the financial destability (i hope thts a word:)), but Im just wondering, is it really worth it to take 6 courses once, out of 8 semesters, to show the adcoms that i can handle opto school ?

I could take 4 courses but Im afraid I'll end up screwing myself up all over again- with 6 courses, I belive I'll actually do the work prior to the tests/examinations.

Members don't see this ad :)
if at the end of the day your gpa is still unimpressive then no one on the admissions comittee is going to sift through your transcript to notice that during one semester you took one extra course, especially a first year arts course. They don't have the time, they probably don't really care, and it's not all that impressive IMHO.

And if you really hate biology so much, why are you even intereted in this profession? You do realize that you will have to study MUCH more bio than you did in two or three courses in the first year of university....

if at the end of the day your gpa is still unimpressive then no one on the admissions comittee is going to sift through your transcript to notice that during one semester you took one extra course, especially a first year arts course. They don't have the time, they probably don't really care, and it's not all that impressive IMHO.

And if you really hate biology so much, why are you even intereted in this profession? You do realize that you will have to study MUCH more bio than you did in two or three courses in the first year of university....

Like I said-I hate bio "at my school." Dont get me wrong, i dont hate biology, its just at our school its amazingly pointless/depressing due to the lab instructors/instructors.

Just because I hate general bio, doesnt mean I hate "eye biology".

Like I said-I hate bio "at my school." Dont get me wrong, i dont hate biology, its just at our school its amazingly pointless/depressing due to the lab instructors/instructors.

sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.

to show the optometry committee that you can handle the work load, you'll need to take a heavy course load consistantly (more than a year) and do well overall. I think it's flawed reasoning that by taking more classes you'll do better because of the time constraints. If you're not doing well with 4, it's probably not a good idea to take 6 because chances are it'll lower your GPA. Best thing to do is to call the optometry schools and ask them specifically what you need to do to increase your chances of getting an interview rather than taking risky steps on your own. g'luck

Sorry to inform you, but in Optometry school you will study much more general biology than anything particularly specific to the eye.

nm....

Last edited:
I had a very low GPA too and I wasn't too impressed with Bio at my school...and I was a bio major! Your GPA doesn't have to matter that much if you can show that you are still a strong student. Too be honest though, I get the feeling you try to work around things rather than actually making them better. What I mean is, I don't feel any commitment. Optometry admissions boards are going to want to see that. Like some other people said, one semester of school, no matter what your grades, are not going to have that much of an impact. Schools don't think you can handle the tough courses just because you get a few good grades. There has to be something more.

What it comes down to, if you can justify yourself as a good potential candidate otherwise, you don't have to take extra courses just to show so. But I can't see how much one semester is going to help you.