If not EM then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If No EM what field would you choose?

• Total voters

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on an interview and was asked if there was no EM or acute care around what field would I choose. I told him prob peds or family but neither of them give me the options I would like.

I am wondering what else you guys considered or would do now?

Members don't see this ad.

If not EM, then I will probably go with pathology, although I find dermatology, hematology, ENT, or psychiatry to be interesting from what I have seen of them. I definitely can not see myself as a FP doc (boring), IM (boring), peds (don't like kids that much), cardiology (malpractice is too high), gastro (uh, no), surgery (hours suck too much) or a radiologist (kind of dull and vague).

Members don't see this ad :)
If no EM I would probably move to an island and teach people how to SCUBA dive. Luckily, there is EM, so I can work a few shifts a month and just go to the island and fun dive :D .

turtle said:
If no EM I would probably move to an island and teach people how to SCUBA dive. Luckily, there is EM, so I can work a few shifts a month and just go to the island and fun dive :D .

:thumbup: This is the best alternate plan ever...

I am planning on learning to scuba this spring.. I have wanted to do it since I was 16... The time is NOW! (or in 5 months) :)

If no EM? Probably would have defaulted back to Peds Rheum. Or maybe urology. Lots of procedures, patients like you, decent lifestyle.

but I don't know. Something that would allow me to read lots and sculpt and get my cave diving scuba certificate.

EctopicFetus said:
I am planning on learning to scuba this spring.. I have wanted to do it since I was 16... The time is NOW! (or in 5 months) :)

Definitely worth doing. :thumbup:

Mr. DrMom & I used to scuba & we own our own gear. Not too convenient now with a kiddo, but she's nearly old enough to be trained now. We're gonna have some good diving trips in a few years. :D

EctopicFetus said:

Do it, you'll love it.

Jambi said:
Do it, you'll love it.

Mrs. Ectopic also is interested in it, sadly we are quite busy but by this spring things should get back to normal. Then we can do it and then move somewhere near a coast and scuba away..

For the sake of +pad+

SCUBA stands for... Highlight it below to see the answer. Let me know if you knew the answer!

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus..

EctopicFetus said:
SCUBA stands for... Highlight it below to see the answer. Let me know if you knew the answer!
I can still hear the blond little girl from Family Ties chanting it in order to study for her test so that's one I will never forget. Plus I got to dive a minimum of once per week during my first 2 years of medschool. Going caribean definately has it's pluses....... Now if I could just convince more PD's of that one....... :)

I've been thinking about this question and I'm not really sure. Since EM is becoming pretty competitive, I've realized that I need to have a backup plan. One thing that I've thought of doing is outpatient psychiatry. I enjoy counseling, but don't want to deal with the psychotic patients who urinate on the floor and then tell me about Jesus' speaking to them through the Goodyear blimp.

I've also considered IM, but I'm not too keen on the lifestyle.

Cave diving? Are you nuts? :smuggrin: Granted I'm trained as a swiftwater rescue technician (think of it as whitewater rafting without the raft) and public safety diver, but I don't do caves.

No EM... either trauma surgery or ENT. Or, I'd go the total opposite direction and teach history or politics... in Fiji. Last time I was in Fiji I met a girl who was writing her doctoral thesis on the "trill" sound Fijians make.