If only 1 piece of advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could only give someone one piece of advice about interviews, what would it be? I would say to relax and be confident. Any other suggestions.....

Members don't see this ad.

dsherida said:
If you could only give someone one piece of advice about interviews, what would it be? I would say to relax and be confident. Any other suggestions.....

That sounds like 2 pieces of advice. :D

Be yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
TRY to get a good night's rest before the interview. With some traveling to different timezones, this might be difficult.

If you muck this up, people are gonna call you Al Bundy. No pressure

Poop, (prior to)

Eat beforehand (not right before) 'cause you don't want a grumbly tumbly during the interview.

i'd say relax. they want to get to know u, not hammer you about ethical questions.

Don't be so confident that you're cocky...don't be afraid to admit that you were wrong about something.

Relax and be yourself. I know it's a cliche, but it's true.

leiface said:
Don't be so confident that you're cocky...don't be afraid to admit that you were wrong about something.

...and an interviewer at my school told me that the kiss of death for an applicant, in his opinion, is to be cocky and act like you're already in.

be confident - they invited you there for a reason!!! be proud of your accomplishments!

i'll second whoever mentioned it above - be on time!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your interview is after lunch, check your teeth.

virilep said:
i'd say relax. they want to get to know u, not hammer you about ethical questions.

That depends. There is the occasional interviewer who DOES hammer you about ethical questions, although this isn't the usual situation.

don't listen to hot-shots who are interviewing with you that will tell you that this interview is their 15th and they've already gotten into 6 schools and are working on their second doctorate, etc... :D

Relax, be yourself, and don't take life too seriously :) I know, I know, 3 pieces of advice, but valuable nonetheless.

Clean the pipes... or whatever you kids are calling it now-a-days. :D

JDAD said:
Poop, (prior to)
nice........ such underestimated advice

JDAD said:
Poop, (prior to)

Good call, :thumbup:

I also second the checking your teeth after lunch, assuming you interview after lunch... A breath mint is also a good idea.

ALSO... DO NOT INTERRUPT YOUR INTERVIEWER! Let them say what they have to say and ask what they have to ask and LISTEN attentively until it is your turn to talk.

Don't wear too much cologne/perfume. Some of these interviews are in tiny rooms.

They will almost always ask you WHY their school... make sure you have a good answer.

dsherida said:

open with a joke

just kidding

dsherida said:

SMILE

Prepare for questions you KNOW they are going to ask, but don't have a speech ready to deliver. Just have a good idea on the points you want to make instead. Don't sound fake.

If there isn't a break between the welcome presentation and your interview, stay away from the complimentary coffee :eek:

Remember that this is a professional interview and not an interview for a MTV Music Video.

Guys: Stay away from lime green, mandarine organe, fucshia, and any other suit color that you could find in a bag of skittles.
Girls: Boobs, Stomachs, Thighs, and Butt Cracks are all parts of the body that should be covered by clothes.

don't make lame jokes because you're nervous

I got an interview in 3 days at Albany...

reading all this advice makes me freakin nervous! lol!