kabtq9s

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
200
2
Status
Pharmacy Student
I will be taking the August 05 MCAT, isn't it a good idea to get a head start by studying for it from now ??
 

nassir

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
56
0
Status
I'm on the same boat and was hoping some kind souls could please advise us on this matter. Is it too early to study? Instead of doing science review, should we begin brushening up on our rdg skills/comprehension?
 

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
3,401
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would go purchase the EK books. Start your review of the sciences, and even start to learn the EK verbal method (your choice, but I think it's helpfull). I wouldn't stress, but it'll help if you just casually read over all the EK stuff. That way, when you start studying hardcore, you will have at least covered the material once. Also, perhaps take an AAMC test to see where you may be lacking. If you don't do to well, it'll be a motivator for you.

Good luck.
 

Cherebourg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
55
0
Huckel
Status
Chrysanthemum said:
That's ridiculous. You won't retain a thing. Start studying in June and study hard for 2 months. That's about all the human brain can handle. You will burn out if you start now. Maybe do some very light studying using the Exam Kracker books like 2 hours a week starting now, but no more.
 

jaylily

gilraen : wandering star
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
625
0
42
beefy alberta
Visit site
Status
If you want to score higher than me you'd better start studying now! :smuggrin:
I started just before xmas, which may be a bit extreme (but I was intending on writing in April) I haven't even touched any of the material in about 8 or 9 years, that's why I'm staring early. It seems to be coming back pretty easily so far. (touch wood!)
 

Erli

Hmmm...immortal soul!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
24
0
41
Status
kabtq9s said:
I will be taking the August 05 MCAT, isn't it a good idea to get a head start by studying for it from now ??
Hi there,

I will be taking the Aug 2005 MCAT also and I have started studying "early" because it has been about 5 yrs since I took my pre-requisites. My attack plan is as follows:
1) Try answering questions to old MCATs to pin point my weakest subject
2) Start studying for my weakest subject now: Physics (using EK books)
3) All the while practicing Verbal (EK 101 Verbal)

After physics I'll study chemistry, orgo, and then bio (in that order). I was a biochemistry major in college and I work in a molecular lab so bio isn't that big of a challenge for me, however, I will still study for it.

At the very least you should determine what subjects you are weak in now so that you can plan your course of study. If it has been awhile since you took your pre-reqs start studying as early as you can. Memorize AND understand the information you need to for the MCAT. Also, remember to take a few mock MCATs (all-day, timed, and everything).

Time flies by when waiting to take the MCATs. Don't study too late.
 

juniper456

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
209
0
Status
i would start general preparations now. re-familiarize yourself will all the tedious topics you will have to re-memorize, and make a basic outline of how long you think it will take you to learn each piece. for instance, if you KNOW you're going to have issues with acid/base equilibrium problems, write in your schedule that you'll devote a full couple of days to getting them down pat. once you have your schedule all written out, you'll know when you need to start studying in earnest.

also, i would start reading as much as possible. nothing too boring, just standard fiction will do. i started reading for 30 minutes everyday before bed about a year ago, and i can see a definite improvement in my overall speed. . .

my two cents
 

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,923
1
MA
Status
Medical Student
Cherebourg said:
That's ridiculous. You won't retain a thing. Start studying in June and study hard for 2 months. That's about all the human brain can handle. You will burn out if you start now. Maybe do some very light studying using the Exam Kracker books like 2 hours a week starting now, but no more.
I won't be taking the exam until 2007 and I've already bought my Examkracker Complete! The object is to know the material, not just retain it until the test is over. Ask anyone who has done well and I suspect they will agree. If you want to actually do well it would be in your best interest to start leaning concepts, etc. now, and not try to "retain" them simply for the exam itself.


:luck:
 

juniper456

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
209
0
Status
Sundarban1 said:
I won't be taking the exam until 2007 and I've already bought my Examkracker Complete! The object is to know the material, not just retain it until the test is over. Ask anyone who has done well and I suspect they will agree. If you want to actually do well it would be in your best interest to start leaning concepts, etc. now, and not try to "retain" them simply for the exam itself.


:luck:

HAAA!! honestly, i could care less if i forget everything the day after the MCAT. all i care about is getting a 30+. sound cynical? really, i don't think that knowing the speed of masses on inclined planes is going to help me out at all in my future life. . . just a prediction, though.
 

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,923
1
MA
Status
Medical Student
juniper456 said:
HAAA!! honestly, i could care less if i forget everything the day after the MCAT. all i care about is getting a 30+. sound cynical? really, i don't think that knowing the speed of masses on inclined planes is going to help me out at all in my future life. . . just a prediction, though.
What you choose to remember or forget is up to you. The bottom line is that the MCAT is a test of your ability to apply basic concepts, not repeat definitions of basic concepts. Commiting things to memory is only half the battle, actually knowing the material is what counts. Therefore, the earlier you begin to study, the more familiar you are with the material, the quicker and more confidently you can answer questions, the better score you will acheive. My point is that if you plan on doing well, there is no such thing as "starting to study too early."

:luck:
 

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
278
1
Status
Attending Physician
Cherebourg said:
That's ridiculous. You won't retain a thing. Start studying in June and study hard for 2 months. That's about all the human brain can handle. You will burn out if you start now. Maybe do some very light studying using the Exam Kracker books like 2 hours a week starting now, but no more.
Start early. Don't wait til it's too late. Take a week off or two after finals. Then start late May or Very early june. Then religiously pommel the MCAT for two or so months til that dreadful day. I guess it won't be too dreadful if you have prepared well :smuggrin: