If time runs out on your block are you transitioned into your 10m break or your next block?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question is in the title. I want to let time run out on its own so I have a longer break, but I'm scared that I'll come back and the new block will have already started.

Members don't see this ad.

When I took Step on Monday I'm pretty sure there is an overall time limit and then an individual time limit on each block. So you're not really getting any advantage by not ending the block.

Also, I don't think you're allowed to leave in the middle of the block. You need to do an "authorized break" by pressing a button after a block. Otherwise it's an "unauthorized break" and you absolutely don't want that to be investigated.

Reactions: 1 user
If you end a block early, the leftover time from that block will automatically be factored into your break time. Furthermore, as kelminak mentioned, all breaks must be made during an "authorized break" time. However, do not try to end blocks early just to have more break time. If you skip the tutorial, you'll get 15 minutes added to your break time. This will give you close to 1 hour of break time for the whole day which is enough time to take 5-10 minute breaks after each block for snacks/food, water, and to use the restroom. My advice is to time your breaks the way you would do it on your exam when you're taking your practice tests. Have a game plan for your breaks and you'll be golden.

In case you are curious, this is how I scheduled my break time during Step 1:
45 minutes + 15 minutes from skipping the tutorial = 60 minutes break.

Section 1
5 minute break (or skip the first break and add 5 to your second one. I did that for step 2 and 3)
Section 2
5 minute break
Section 3
10 minute break
Section 4
15 minute break (lunch)
Section 5
10 minute break
Section 6
10 minute break
Section 7
This adds up to 55 minutes with a 5 minute extra wiggle room time in case signing in/out takes longer than expected.

Hope that helps!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
^^ I would follow @MedSchoolTutors for sure. That's almost the exact pattern that I used. I also followed the DirtyUSMLE plan for breakfast and breaks, but I didn't take a "lunch" and just kept peeing --> bite of protein bar and couple sips of water --> next block until it was over. Yes I literally peed 7 times.