If US News did their research ranking for dental schools, this is what it would resemble.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masterus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People/applicants base med schools reputation heavy based off the US News ranking which is one of the major factors relies on the NIH funding. If there were a dental version of the US News rankings, it would probably be similar to this. It's quite interesting where schools fall. I think a US News Ranking for dental schools would probably have people reconsider a lot of schools and consider others. Obviously, research ranking doesn't speak to the education or clinical training of a school, but this was something interesting I thought of.

Members don't see this ad.

Compared to medicine, research makes up such a small part of dentistry. I think it would be a bit ridiculous to base rankings off of research grants.

Reactions: 4 users
Compared to medicine, research makes up such a small part of dentistry. I think it would be a bit ridiculous to base rankings off of research grants.
RETRACTED: The well funded Forsyth Institute is affiliated with Harvard.

Even Harvard is relatively low on the list and their website says their dental program places a big emphasis on research.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The only people who take these dental school rankings websites seriously are parents of to be dental students. Cheaper is better and that's that

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who goes to a top 10 NIH funded school, there's far more to your dental education than research funding. A LOT more.

The actual rankings:
1. Cheapest school
2. Next cheapest school
67. USC (lol jk , but for real don't do this to yourself)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
The actual rankings:
1. Cheapest school
2. Next cheapest school
67. USC (lol jk , but for real don't do this to yourself)
you sure NYU isn't 67?

Reactions: 1 user
If you cannot afford it, don't go there. Most private dental schools are very expensive, not just NYU. In NYS, there are a very limited number of seats in the state schools. If you are not accepted to Stonybrook or Buffalo, then following your rationale, you can not be a dentist. The seat you do not accept at NYU, Columbia, or Touro will certainly be filled.

If you cannot afford it, don't go there. Most private dental schools are very expensive, not just NYU. In NYS, there are a very limited number of seats in the state schools. If you are not accepted to Stonybrook or Buffalo, then following your rationale, you can not be a dentist. The seat you do not accept at NYU, Columbia, or Touro will certainly be filled.

To be fair, it's not Stony/Buffalo or bust. You can still apply to OOS schools which give IS tuition after 1 year.

I personally have nothing against NYU or USC, other than their ridiculous cost. I understand that if you cannot afford to go there, you shouldn't go. However since the government gives us unlimited loans, this theory in practice is very predatory because naive pre-dents will take out 500k+ loans just to go to these schools, even if they really can't afford it.

Reactions: 1 users
Bottom line: before going to dental school, know what you want and what school will give you most "Return on Investment" (easier said than done when every Pre-dental applicant is busy simply trying to get into dental school b/c of competition). We all can't just say Cheapest is the utmost only criteria to look for...

Some applicants may want to gain complicated clinical experience ie. Molar Endo and OS so they don't have to spend more $$$$ do GPR/AEGD/CE courses. Dean of Creighton told me during my per-dental interview, did you know one D4 did 80+ Endo cases. I didn't value what these meant as a pre-dent applicant and the "Return on Investment".

Some want to stay in state to be around family and friends when dental school beats you to the ground. For some, their mental and personal health is their best investment.

Or you want to stay in state because you want to practice in that state. You can get valuable networking with state organized dentistry or other peers who will practice in that state. If you are out of state, you can't get those connections as easily. Again most return on investment from those "connections"

If one wants to go into dental academia/research, knowing who gets research grant may be attractive and their best investment.

Most of us want to go into private practice and earn financial flexibility, so cheap school is our goal and best return on investment (the return is "financial flexibility"). I agree, this criteria is up there as important.

Ultimately, determine what is your best return on your investment. Then ask these schools (particularly D3s/D4s who have been through the curriculum), if the school can offer what you want. Alot of foresight and planning (again easier said than done), so keep grinding everyone

Even Harvard is relatively low on the list and their website says their dental program places a big emphasis on research.

The Forsyth Institute is affiliated with HSDM.

Reactions: 1 user