If You Can't Give Blood, Give Cash

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that many of you will not give blood over the next two weeks due to various reasons. There are other ways to help.

I propose that everyone give $10 to the Red Cross to help with their efforts in NY and DC. This whole tragedy is costing lots and lots of money and I imagine that they could use some support right now. There is no reason that all of us cannot afford to give $10, especially if a blood donation is not feasible for you right now.

And think about it - if everyone on SDN gave $10, that would be a total of an $80,000 donation from SDN alone. Their total donations right now are at around $200,000 from 1,959 individual donations.

Give $10 To The Red Cross

Members don't see this ad.

I have donated $1000 already. Definitely more valuable than wasting $1000 on AMCAS.
Also, I had to stop all my experiments since I usually buy tons of blood from blood bank.
This is all I can do to help out with this tragedy.

rxfudd, thank you so much for posting this. I believe you are absolutely right...here in NY, they are actually turning away people trying to donate blood because hospitals are at capacity, however, when you call specific hospitals and ask what the rescue effort requires, they ALWAYS reply with: FUNDS.

Are any of you involved in campus groups? Even if not...please set up a donation drive on campus! Just get a plastic container, stick a slit in the top, and start collecting money to send to Red Cross. They desperately need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Yahoo PayDirect system isn't accepting my credit card information (it claims I have the wrong address for some reason) -- so if anyone has any links that are not on Yahoo to donating money to the Red Cross, I would really appreciate it if you could post them!

You can donate money directly to the Red Cross Disaster Service here:

Donate To The Red Cross - They Need It Right Now...

Wow Legi...I wish I were able to donate that much. That's fantastic. I have donated $100. Ever dollar counts at this point.

Remember - nobody should feel like they have to donate their life savings in order to help out. Ten dollars. Twenty if you can afford it. I know we're broke, but we're alive - that alone should be an impetus enough to yield a donation.

Thanks for the link-- I donated 100 dollars. I can't donate blood right now, so I am really glad I could do something.

I was looking forward to watching the golf tournament featuring Tiger Woods this week in St. Louis. Now, since the event was cancelled, the PGA is donating all of the $5,000,000 purse to help the victims. Very nice gesture in my opinion. :)

Let's keep this going! I donated my share too.

I donated also, lets keep this going! Everyone at SDN, donate to help this worthwhile cause

Mossjoh

I donated too...

I find this amusing that there aren't as many people who have "volunteered" out of the goodness of their heart to help out and do something positive

instead people (you know who) are in (you know where) saying (you know what) to other people (you know who)

WHY THE F$%$ can't I sleep...I keep on trying to make witty remarks, but it is now 5:20 in the morning california time...I can't help deep down feel that there is something wrong (you know what)... :(

I wanna sleep....need somebody to hug :(

I think I posted this on the Everyone forum, but I'll do it again here anyway:

Thanks rxfudd. I tried to donate today but wasn't allowed because I didn't weigh enough, because I had lived in the UK and overseas, and because I had taken Anti-malaria medications. I felt like I wasn't doing my civic duty or wasn't helping so I'm glad you posted that link. At least I can do *something* now, or at least feel like I am helping in some small way.

My new question is: Is there anything else you all can think of that we can do to help (besides giving money)?

Thanks for posting the website guys..I just donated 26 bucks..... my housemate's friend lost his father in one of the plane crashes. I guess it was the LEAST i could do.