If you consider youself an avg. student then click me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddstobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you're only an average non-minority (Asian and white) student but you still serious about get into a d-school, what do you do? Let's say you have around 3.3 GPA from a state u w/ some Ws, 18 across on the DAT, volunteer at a free clinic 4 hrs/wk, working on a medical related master w/ 3.0 GPA. Will this person ever have a chance? It seems like this person did everything (s)he could to elevate the chance but with this upraising competition, is there anything else (s)he could do? :confused: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

What if you're only an average non-minority (Asian and white) student but you still serious about get into a d-school, what do you do? Let's say you have around 3.3 GPA from a state u w/ some Ws, 18 across on the DAT, volunteer at a free clinic 4 hrs/wk, working on a medical related master w/ 3.0 GPA. Will this person ever have a chance? It seems like this person did everything (s)he could to elevate the chance but with this upraising competition, is there anything else (s)he could do? :confused: :scared:
Try and get your master's GPA up in the time you have left. It looks bad if you have a downward trend. Otherwise, just apply, and apply to as many schools as possible - especially the expensive private ones. good luck.

Try and get your master's GPA up in the time you have left. It looks bad if you have a downward trend. Otherwise, just apply, and apply to as many schools as possible - especially the expensive private ones. good luck.
but a good master GPA is so much harder to get than an excellent undergrad GPA especially I'm in a pretty good grad school right now and my undergrad school sucks. I shooting for a 3.6, by the end of this semester. Would a 3.6 get me (at least) a late interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.6 overall in my masters program and a descending GPA in undergrad and I had a few interviews and got into my #1 as an out of stater. That said, you may need to improve the DAT score for a better shot, I agree...and APPLY EARLY! Let schools know about you BEFORE the application cycle starts and see if there is anything you can do to improve your chances of getting accepted. I asked my #1 if I should improve my DAT and they said "no....everything looks fine." You never know. We are our own harshest critics, generally.

but a good master GPA is so much harder to get than an excellent undergrad GPA especially I'm in a pretty good grad school right now and my undergrad school sucks. I shooting for a 3.6, by the end of this semester. Would a 3.6 get me (at least) a late interview?

You'll have to get a higher masters GPA than what you've got right now. It's hard to get a great GPA in a masters program than in undergrad because of the load and difficulty of the average coursework; not unlike dental school. I think an adcom would look at a graduate GPA to be much more representative of how well you'd do in dental school than an undergraduate GPA. You need to show them you'll hack it in dental school by rocking your masters.

Also a higher DAT wouldn't hurt but then again, it never does. Good luck!

Thank you for all your replies.

SugarNaCl: How many semesters had you done already when you received your acceptance notice? And what did you get on your DAT if you don't mind me asking.

Dauber: Are you refering 3.0 or 3.6?

SugarNaCl: How many semesters had you done already when you received your acceptance notice? And what did you get on your DAT if you don't mind me asking.

Check your PMs

3.6 cumulative would be what you should shoot for. Is that what you're talking about?

I shooting for a 3.6, by the end of this semester. Would a 3.6 get me (at least) a late interview?

I don't think anyone else responded to this...but what do you mean by a late interview? I mean, are you saying you're still hoping for a late interview for this cycle? THis cycle's interviews are pretty much already handed out and done. I'm sorry, but raising your GPA will help for the 2008 cycle, but this 2007 cycle's interviews are pretty much done.

Did you start the masters program to better your application for dental school or is it something you just wanted to do?

dauber: Yes, that's what I'm taking about.

djefferyt: A late interview for 08 cycle, do you think I still have a chance?

Eldentistfuturo: the master is a stepping stone for me, I'm paying about 25,000 a year, not worth it. The teachers don't teach, they chitchat BS the whole time. As for the test, they reuse the EXACT SAME TEST FOR OVER 10 YEARS, I bet you someone who's taking the classes got a copy of it.

3.3 gpa and 18 dat is well below average, good luck!