If you could do it over would you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it seem fair that someone who matches into a coveted specialty or program should be paid the same as someone who matches into a lower one? If this was a true marketplace, residents would be paid like any other job in other industries where the best command the top dollars.
Or it might be the reverse, where less-coveted residencies have to increase their salaries to attract better residents. In academia, generally the most prestigious institutions can get away with paying the lowest stipends and salaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure if people can initiate more lawsuits on behalf of resident doctors coupled with media exposure something good could happen. The only problem is that doctors are victims of thier own selfs. The AMA would not have a problem presenting a boat-load of older/self-righteous doctors who think residents should not even get paid at all. Just the same way lawyers don't have a problem finding doctors to help them with "professional testimonies" in their frivolous malpractice suits.

That's a good question. Why do you suppose that's so?

It's because the AMA and its ilk has a monopoly over residencies. They don't want to introduce wage competition that would cause staff salaries to increase substantially and therefore reduce hospital profits. By having a monopoly over the system, they can artificially keep the wages low. I don't want to sound cynical, but these are the same groups who thought for a long time that working a resident 100+ hours/week and keeping them awake for 30 hours straight was good patient care. :scared: A lawsuit is working its way through the courts to challenge this residency pay system. Does it seem fair that someone who matches into a coveted specialty or program should be paid the same as someone who matches into a lower one? If this was a true marketplace, residents would be paid like any other job in other industries where the best command the top dollars.

The AMA has nothing to do with resident salaries. Residency programs may pay residents whatever they want. However, Medicaire finances graduate medical education and the amount a program pays you is related to how much they get from the government. The payment is in two parts. the first is a grant for direct medical education (DME) which is based on medicaire's share of the hospitals billing, the direct costs of training a resident, and the number of residents at the hospital. The second is the adjustment for Indirect Medical Education (IME) and in a nutshell cover the additonal expenses incurred by a hospital in training residents and is based on services provided to medicare recipients.

The DME payment is relatively fixed but the IME is highly variable and only your hospital and the government know the total amount per resident.

The DME payment is some fraction of the hospitals "cost" to train a resident. The IME is an additional payment.

The AMA has nothing to do with resident salaries. Residency programs may pay residents whatever they want. However, Medicaire finances graduate medical education and the amount a program pays you is related to how much they get from the government. The payment is in two parts. the first is a grant for direct medical education (DME) which is based on medicaire's share of the hospitals billing, the direct costs of training a resident, and the number of residents at the hospital. The second is the adjustment for Indirect Medical Education (IME) and in a nutshell cover the additonal expenses incurred by a hospital in training residents and is based on services provided to medicare recipients.

The DME payment is relatively fixed but the IME is highly variable and only your hospital and the government know the total amount per resident.

The DME payment is some fraction of the hospitals "cost" to train a resident. The IME is an additional payment.

well somewhere in the middle of that calculation someone needs to start paying residents more money. The main problem here stems from the fact that no one is a resident forever, so as soon as they cross the bridge they seem to forget that the problem even exists.

From my understanding the goverment pays a hospital about 100k per resident. Approximately 40k of that goes to resident salary and the rest of the 60k goes to whatever the hospital wants.

I think a resident can be sufficiently trained to handle most medical cases by 6 months (this is what i heard) with a certain amount of competence. So basically after the 6 months the hospital is getting paid 60k a year to have a free worker who may take the place of having to pay for a few more nurses or hospitalists.

What do you think a residents pay should be? 70K? 80K? 90k?

I am pretty sure if people can initiate more lawsuits on behalf of resident doctors coupled with media exposure something good could happen.

The reason why residents don't go this far is because they don't want to be seen as trouble-makers. There is a famous whistleblower case of Troy Madison from Johns Hopkins. As an internal medicine resident there, he notified the medical accrediting agencies that the department was forcing residents to go over the "80 hours" per week. Johns Hopkins' medicine department got into deep trouble and nearly lost its accreditation from what I understand. Did Troy get a pat on the back? No. They made working conditions unbearable for him thereafter. Now, he's like an emergency medicine resident in Illinois or something. Moral of the story is that until we're attendings ourselves we're pretty powerless, unless you want to put your nascent career on the line.

Wow is it me or has this thread received a ton of activity in the span of 2 days??? LOL

I agree with Sacrament's post to that guy Vonhem or whatever his name was.

That post that sacrament quoted made zero sense.

To be happy in something one should be able to handle and know what the good and bad of something is going to be rather then hold idealistic notions about life. Life is hard no matter what you do and if you expect too much you'll never be happy but if you are practical you'll be better off.

It sounds like hospitals have some discretion on pay. Since they set pay scales at a national level, they know other hospitals will pay the same amounts. Therefore, there is no incentive to increase pay. What if hospitals had the freedom to negotiate better salaries for better applicants? Just a pipe dream.

Sacrament said:
Way to go, douchebag, I was making exactly the opposite point. It's the fruitloops who think they've got a Calling who become the most bitter and disenchanted, while it's the pragmatists like myself who, while maybe not having the time of our lives, eventually just cruise through, don't find internship terribly more horrible than medical school (because we have no expectations of glory), and eventually find ourselves enjoying our big screen TVs without crying ourselves to sleep every night because we're not connecting enough with our patients. Now how about you go f**k yourself. Doctor's orders.

So you're relatively content then?

The reason why residents don't go this far is because they don't want to be seen as trouble-makers. There is a famous whistleblower case of Troy Madison from Johns Hopkins. As an internal medicine resident there, he notified the medical accrediting agencies that the department was forcing residents to go over the "80 hours" per week. Johns Hopkins' medicine department got into deep trouble and nearly lost its accreditation from what I understand. Did Troy get a pat on the back? No. They made working conditions unbearable for him thereafter. Now, he's like an emergency medicine resident in Illinois or something. Moral of the story is that until we're attendings ourselves we're pretty powerless, unless you want to put your nascent career on the line.

Ohh I know the case you are talking about. He is actually an EM resident at the Ohio State University School of Medicine.

This was all over the AMSA website a few years back when I was really active with AMSA at the premed level and read it on their national website. That was like 2-3 years ago.

Anyhow, the story behind him was that he was found out somehow at JHU so they actually didn't make his life unbearable but KICKED HIM OUT OF RESIDENCY. He was very close to having to be forced into a job like mcdonalds to pay off his massive debt until OH St. took him on according to the article I read at the time.

What challenge is that? The only thing that's ever been stretched to the limit during my entire medical career is my tolerance for wasted time, chicken****, and other people's bad attitudes. It's not like we're running around all day at a breakneck pace saving lives and curing our patient's diseases with stunning exertions of medical prowess. The majority of my medical training has been devoted to mindless scutwork which a motivated high school student could probably do, that is if we could find a high school student to work for the pitiful wages offered by residency programs.

Endurance mostly. Having the self control not to mouth back at asswad superiors getting off on minute power games; banashing any outward sign of contempt while undergoing endless bs pimping from idiot halfwit attenedings:enduring the perpetual suck up routines of bratty pukewad med students: getting up at 4am every day when by nature I'm one of the laziest creatures alive; working up to 115 hours weekly with little food, drink or sleep; having the patience to live frugally enough to stretch my measly resident salary enough to stay alive and finance decent vacations;having the strenght of will to somehow stay fit, keep up with my interests and occasionally read non medical material once in a while. These are just a few of the things that I endure better and better as time goes by. Eduring these things gives me a certain satisfaction.

On the other hand what are the things I like most about medicine. It's pretty childish. I like looking at blood'n'guts and gross diseased things. Wounds are interesting to me. Human nature is interesting to me. I get a sort of voyeristic kick out of being able to learn and see so much of peoples lives.

However, in the future I'd like to be a very good plastic surgeon. To me that's a challange. There's so much crappy work out there. Even the best have their less than perfect results along the way. It's really not difficult to make a mess of someone's face or body if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Yes, this is superficial stuff. Very frivolous in the greater scheme of things. And I'm sure many could accommplish it effortlessly. But it'll be a challange for me.

I also want to become reasonably wealthy doing this. As you know the current financial climate is making it harder and harder for doctors to prosper. Becomming wealthy will be a challange to me. It may even stretch me to my limits.

Do I accept that there are a great deal of crappy things about medicine. Yes, and I support any measure taken to change them for the better. Do I think that residency can be a basically very mundane and ordinary job. Yes, I sure do. Has it been a little more banal than I expected. Probably. But I do know that the illusion of medicine in the eyes of the world is far stronger than the mere knowledge of what lies behind it. People need to believe in the good doctor, the noble scholar with a calling and a bag of ideals. Just look at this thread. Even medical personel have a hard time laying it aside. So although, I don't believe that I'm anything special for being a doctor, I'm tired of wasting my energy trying to devest the world of it's illusion. If people want to belive in a myth that I happen to represent, let them. Who cares? I actually find it sort of amusing. Before I went into medicine I always though that doctors were full of $hit. Now I know it, but I've learned not to give the game away. I live my ordinary life within the illusion of what people believe about medicine and am ever conscious of my part in perpetuating the illusion. Maybe, someday I'll get used to that. But so far I definately havn't and I have to say it's one of the things I find interesting about medicine.

Why do I accept the crappy things about medicine? Yes, I've had fun nowhere jobs with lots of time off that paid nothing. I've also had some horrible supposedly career type jobs that were every bit as mundane as the most mundane aspects of medicine without any of the interesting parts. Overall I think I'm doing ok. I'll be doing something that I enjoy and I'll eventually be making more money than I ever really thought I would. Of course I've got an open mind about anything that might be better to do for a living.

If I could do it over again would I? Well, That depends how far back I could go. If I could go all the way back to childhood knowing what I know now, I'd do a million things differently and I doubt if I'd end up anywhere close to medicine. But if I were to go back to where I first made my choice to go into medicine. Honestly, I still don't know of any other choice that would have been better. I'm sure there are probably a ton of other better things I could have done. I just don't know what they might have been. For now I'm happy with my choice.

That's what I mean if I ever say "I'm happy in medicine".

I'm sure there are probably a ton of other better things I could have done. I just don't know what they might have been.

You should have been a writter or illusionionist:laugh:

However . . . I am totally grateful to be allowed to be a doctor. I knew it was long hours coming in, and I don't love that, but I realize that people don't get to decide when they bleed out and babies don't get to make appointments for when they want to be born (most of the time :rolleyes: ).

Boy I could really dig into this if I felt like it would change anyone's mind. As a lot of people have stated, why must we feel "honored" and/or "privileged" to have the opportunity to take care of patients? Excuse me, but you were the one busting your tail in organic chem, physics, etc. back in college and up all hours of the night in med school while this fat a$$ with chest pain at 3am chose a lifestyle of excess and gluttony despite medical advice to the contrary. An honor to spend the holidays away from family and friends, the people who help mold the person you are today for these people? Hardly. Sounds a lot like a battered wife (medical training being the abusive husband), "but he's good to me". Spare me.

Anyhow, it is definitely amazing to be able to do the things we do. Speaking in particular of my field, who else gets to deliver babies? Who gets to have their hands in someone's abdomen removing a tumor? Who gets to bring the joy of fertility to a couple who couldn't have done it without medical intervention?

Umm, midwives, PA's, nurse practitioners, etc. who get comparable salaries without the rigorous training, crazy hours, and indebtedness (over $200,000 in some cases!). And oh yeah, its gonna be you, the MD, named in that multi-million dollar lawsuit.

You said you were an undergrad. How the heck can you say that medicine does better in hours and pay than lawyers and MBAs? Do you know any lawyers or MBAs who MUST work weekends and overnight consistently (i.e. compulsory not by choice)? Docs are fairly compensated but I would not nearly be so sure that the mean lifetime compensation per hour is greater for MDs than JDs or MBAs.
Some lawyers have to put in 100+ hour weeks if they ever want to make partner at a big firm, which is the one of the only ways to make big bucks in law.

The only job I ever absolutely loved was driving pizza for Dominos way back in the early 1980s. There was literally no downside to that job. If the pay were better I'd drive pizza for a career. But it's not so I have to do other things which I may not enjoy as much but which pay better.
I got a pretty big kick out of mowing lawns with a 12mph zero-turn mower. :D But I hate the cold, so while it was just fine and dandy to work all summer, I'd kill myself come winter. I also liked being an EMT, but $8/hr wasn't cutting it...

Way too much complaining going on around here. Yeah I know, you're all just venting or whatever you want to call it. But medicine is what it is, and it's always been like this. Actually back in the day the hazing was MUCH worse and there was no cap on how many hours they could keep you in the hospital. I have a lot of relatives who are docs who trained back in the day and they tell me all the stories of not leaving the hospital for weeks on straight, residents being routinely verbally beatdown big time in front of everyone, even being dismissed from their residency program at the whim of an attending, etc. So we have it relatively easy in comparison...an attending so much as raises his voice or looks at someone the wrong way and you get half a dozen whiny letters written to Human Resources about him being a big bad meanie. Please. I think what this thread is really demonstrating is that med students have gotten soft, much like the rest of society in general. That's one reason the lifestyle specialties have become so popular. People don't want/like to work hard, but still want all the same benefits. When I hear about these old school docs I can't help but think these dudes were real men. Now you got "men" whining because they're a few minutes over their 80 hours or because their girlfriend doesn't like them working hard. Suck it up and grow a pair. If you don't like it, then get out. Nobody is forcing you to do it. The "I have loans to pay back" is a tired excuse.

Way too much complaining going on around here. Yeah I know, you're all just venting or whatever you want to call it. But medicine is what it is, and it's always been like this. Actually back in the day the hazing was MUCH worse and there was no cap on how many hours they could keep you in the hospital. I have a lot of relatives who are docs who trained back in the day and they tell me all the stories of not leaving the hospital for weeks on straight, residents being routinely verbally beatdown big time in front of everyone, even being dismissed from their residency program at the whim of an attending, etc. So we have it relatively easy in comparison...an attending so much as raises his voice or looks at someone the wrong way and you get half a dozen whiny letters written to Human Resources about him being a big bad meanie. Please. I think what this thread is really demonstrating is that med students have gotten soft, much like the rest of society in general. That's one reason the lifestyle specialties have become so popular. People don't want/like to work hard, but still want all the same benefits. When I hear about these old school docs I can't help but think these dudes were real men. Now you got "men" whining because they're a few minutes over their 80 hours or because their girlfriend doesn't like them working hard. Suck it up and grow a pair. If you don't like it, then get out. Nobody is forcing you to do it. The "I have loans to pay back" is a tired excuse.

Harsh but you have a point. It all depends on how you were oriented in life. My neighbour is a FMG from a third world country and he tells me residency here is awesome and the hours are not too bad. Even more disturbing is the fact that he seems to be satisfied with his resident pay. He told me some surgeons in his country make a little more than what he is making now as a resident doctor:eek:

Bull****. Medicine is not the Marines, we are not closing with the enemy and gutting him with our bayonets, and there is no reason for medical students to be either hard or soft or any variation in between. The idea that somebody has to work 120 hours a week or go without sleep for three days to make you feel good about your career decision is ludicrous.

And a man who will let himself be verbally abused by another man, be he an attending or a resident, is a *****.

From my humble blog:

Yes, the Hours Still Suck

There is No Prize for Sucking it Up

Residency entails long hours. You may as well accept this and prepare for it. Up until very recently however the hours were much, much worse and it was not uncommon for residents to all but live in the hospital except for the polite fiction of being allowed to go home infrequently for sleep. These were the bad old day, only a few years ago, when you worked at the whim of your program with no recourse other than to quit if you didn't like it.

These kind of hours were insane. Nobody can function on three or four hours of sleep every other day, at least not in something as complicated and intellectually demanding as medicine. As a young Marine I regularly went several days without sleep but while being a Marine requires considerable skill and intelligence, it's nowhere near as demanding intellectually as medicine. You really do stop caring about things as you become sleep deprived. Everything requires more effort. Concentrating on routine (but important tasks) becomes impossible and it is only the occasional burst of adrenaline that makes functioning as a sleep deprived Marine or a physician possible.

In the old days when most of your older attending were residents, things were considerably different. It's true that they spent long hours at the hospital but the pace was a good deal slower on the wards as there were both fewer interventions and a much slower turnover of patients. These were the days when the hospital course for someone with a heart attack was three weeks. Today it is usually two days, sometimes even one if the heart cath was done early in the morning and the patient is in otherwise good health.

It is one thing to be on call on a service with a census of patients most of whom are long term and stable boarders, it is another thing to be on call on a service with rapid patient turnover and a completely new census every few days. There is simply more work to do, especially when it comes to admitting patients.

"Admitting" is the process of working up the patient when he presents to the hospital and involves the history, physical exam, assessment, and plan which we discussed in a previous post. It is also as you can imagine a tedious paper-work grind at almost every hospital as previous records are tracked down, numerous forms are filled out (many of them redundant and mainly serving the purpose of lawyer-appeasement) and extensive notes are either written or dictated. It is not as tedious in private practice as the economics of paying a physician to waste time come into play but no such restriction apply at a typical academic hospital. Not only will you shoulder the burden of this work but you will also have to clear every decision through either your upper level resident or your attending.

This is the way it needs to be, of course (I mean except for the lawyer protection paperwork) but as a typical admission on a medicine service can take hours in the case of complicated patient you can see that with the rapid turnover in today's teaching hospitals a few admissions a night will prevent you from getting any sleep when on call. In fact, most teaching services are "capped" or limited on the number of admissions they can take in recognition that learning is impossible if you are treated as cheap labor.

So I don't want to hear the sanctimony from the old-timers about how much harder they had it back in the day. Fewer admissions and more stable patients lead to a more stable census and more time for rest. Sorry. The trouble was that as medicine became more complex and demanding, the treatment of residents lagged far behind almost as if it were in a different century. Residents working in modern, high-turnover hospitals were treated no differently than their more relaxed collegues from the fifties and sixties.

After several important papers were published detailing the risks to the safety of both patients and residents from sleep deprivation, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (AGCME) mandated that all residency program restrict the work hours of residents to eighty hours per week averaged over four weeks. This is a good start but it's still only a start.

The fact that many in the medical community think it takes eighty hours per week to train you in a medical specialty reflects the general inefficiency and poor organization of medical training as well as a reluctance of some to let go of old, outmoded methods. Eighty hours is better than 120 of course, but it's not a pleasant way to spend three to seven years of your life.

Let's look at a typical Q4 call schedule. This means that every fourth night is overnight call. You will work three 12 hour days. On the fourth day you will work through the night until one in the afternoon (you must be released by this time according to the rules). Since you got no sleep on call your half-day is pretty much wasted as you sleep most of it. You must be allowed one 24-hour period per week free from all clinical duties but sometimes this entails being allowed to go home in the morning after call which means that your day off is abbreviated to 20 hours or so.

You will usually end up working 85 hours a week if not more because some people will not let go of the old ways and as they have no life outside the hospital have no incentive to be efficient or decisive. Your time is not valued in the slightest because anybody who cares is paying the same whether you work fifty hours or a hundred.

The worst thing is that most of your time will be spent wrestling the incredibly inefficient paperwork system which is endemic to every American hospital. You will spend most of your time as an intern filling out some sort of paperwork or another. That's why they still call your intern year a "clerkship." Trust me, you will spend the majority of your time wrestling with the paperwork. Important or not, there is a huge quantity of it.

So eighty hours does make for a long week and a long month. It is a violation of an unwritten rule of residency to complain, of course. The tradition is to suck it up and not look weak. Still, it is a lot easier to spend your life at the hospital if you have no life outside the hospital which is more the case than you imagine. I had a third year resident on a medicine rotation who regularly rounded in the evening on non-call nights after every other team had gone home, sometimes until seven or eight, with me and the medical students as her entourage. The on call team was also in the hospital handling all of the new admits so we weren't really doing anything. She just was just very dedicated but more importantly had nothing better to do with her time.

Patient care is important. On the other hand if you can't manage twelve patients on your service from six in the morning until six at night then you have a problem with efficiency. All your over-night orders should be written well before normal quitting time and the nurses are more than capable of following them. The labs will cook without you and all of the consultants have gone home and will only suffer to come for an Emergency, delegating their interns to cover things. The on call team, for its part, is there for Emergencies and to follow a few key items for you which you relate during sign-out.

You can go home already.

The best part was that at the start of the rotation the resident lectured me that medicine needed to be my first priority and family and personal life a distant second. This attitude is incredibly patronizing. It is just a job and like most men of my age and upbringing I take work very seriously. I'll do what needs to be done but medicine is not the military and it should not be necessary to sacrifice one's family life to its service. Spending time with the wife and children is not a privilege, a reward, or something for which we have to beg.

So you're not supposed to complain but I think as more and more non-traditional students matriculate into medical school and then into residency training there will be more complaining as the older you are and the more experience you have outside of medicine the less tolerance you have for chicken ****...which is what a lot of the antiquated customs of residency are.

I think the first thing that needs to be done is to eliminate or greatly curtail call. Everybody deserves to get a good night's (or day's) sleep. It should also not be a privilege to get some rest. Some call is pretty benign of course. Urologists pull call but there are few real urological emergencies so they sleep pretty well. Specialties like medicine need to go to a shift system. Either that or have a night float system where one week out of the month you work at night and sleep during the day.

Another thing that can be done is to add to the length of residency training. Maybe sixty hours a week isn't enough time to train a medicine resident. Medicine is inherently inefficient as it deals with inefficient human beings so a lot of the wasted time is hardwired into the system. Add a year. Increase the pay a little and pay overtime for anything over forty hours like anywhere else.

Research any residency program thoroughly. Talk to the residents when you interview. Get a good idea of the call schedule and the hours because some programs are more benign than others.

Reactions: 1 user
Umm, midwives, PA's, nurse practitioners, etc. who get comparable salaries without the rigorous training, crazy hours, and indebtedness (over $200,000 in some cases!). And oh yeah, its gonna be you, the MD, named in that multi-million dollar lawsuit.

They don't make salaries anywhere close to what specialists make. And they don't have the prestige, which is a form of compensation. Out of curiosity, would you rather be a PA? If you think that they have a better deal, all factors considered, then presumably the answer is yes.

hey i am more than happy to have you in my practice to work all the overtime i dont want. i feel absolutely no guilt in putting in my 60 hours a week and then going home to my family. if you dont like it, tough.

....People don't want/like to work hard, but still want all the same benefits...

Again, bull****. The benefits of a medical career are a lot skimpier than they were back in the day. Or didn't you know that?

Bull****. Medicine is not the Marines, we are not closing with the enemy and gutting him with our bayonets, and there is no reason for medical students to be either hard or soft or any variation in between. The idea that somebody has to work 120 hours a week or go without sleep for three days to make you feel good about your career decision is ludicrous.

And a man who will let himself be verbally abused by another man, be he an attending or a resident, is a *****.

Panda,

Although I hate Rush, I still find myself agreeing with you on most medical related issues.

I'm happy with my choice to go to med school, but that's most likely b/c I've always looked at it as a stimulating job, nothing more or less. I will work hard and provide excellent care while I'm at the hospital, but I don't plan on being there day and night. I've got a beautiful wife at home, she (and my future children) are my priority.

It's great that there are Misteriosos out there who think that a real man is working all the time. As the previous poster alluded, he can take our call.

They don't make salaries anywhere close to what specialists make. And they don't have the prestige, which is a form of compensation. Out of curiosity, would you rather be a PA? If you think that they have a better deal, all factors considered, then presumably the answer is yes.

Bullsh*t they don't. Have you seen what CRNA's make these days? More than a number of primary care docs make. I'm doing a rotation with a psychiatrist now that told me one of his PAs makes more than some of the internists working at the same hospital. And prestige as compensation? What?! That's exactly what's wrong with medicine these days....the ego. Patients don't even respect doctors decisions anymore. You wouldn't believe the number of times i've taken a history and had a patient tell me that they didn't like a particular doctor because he didn't do this or that (e.g. prescribe antibiotics, order certain tests, etc.). And would I rather be a PA? Well if my intentions were really to help people, I probably would. They spend more time with patients than MDs. Isn't that what a lot of people go into medicine for anyway? Prestige, heh. Yeah, the prestige is really at a high point when you sit at a round table during rounds talking about the color, texture, frequency, smell of patient's bowel movements with a serious face. Very prestigous guys.

Now you got "men" whining because they're a few minutes over their 80 hours or because their girlfriend doesn't like them working hard. Suck it up and grow a pair. If you don't like it, then get out. Nobody is forcing you to do it.

Has the thought ever crossed your mind that one reason why the hours in medicine can be so grueling is because of bad management? In other industries, the manager is responsible for determining what is the optimal staffing levels so that the work gets done and people keep their sanity. If people are forced to constantly work under a lot of stress and long hours, what do you suppose most people do? They find new jobs. The ones who stay and just keep their heads down and suffer are the foolish ones. Why would you allow yourself to be mistreated when you can go somewhere else better? More typically, the manager gets fired for doing a lousy job. Because of the monopolistic strangle hold that the medical groups have, residents do not have the recourse of easily finding new residencies. On the other hand, if people were allowed to treat residency like a real job, then hospitals that treated its workforce poorly would lose most of their residents or attract inferior applicants. They would then have an incentive to improve working conditions. I realize that this greatly simplifies residency training, but wouldn't it be nice if hospitals would optimize staffing so that people can have somewhat normal lives.

I like Panda's post....

Bullsh*t they don't. Have you seen what CRNA's make these days? More than a number of primary care docs make. I'm doing a rotation with a psychiatrist now that told me one of his PAs makes more than some of the internists working at the same hospital.

Most SPECIALTIES blow PAs away. And more internists make more than PAs. Internists should probably make more.

And prestige as compensation? What?! That's exactly what's wrong with medicine these days....the ego. Patients don't even respect doctors decisions anymore. You wouldn't believe the number of times i've taken a history and had a patient tell me that they didn't like a particular doctor because he didn't do this or that (e.g. prescribe antibiotics, order certain tests, etc.).

First, yes, prestige is one factor that goes into compensation. Of course, that's true of any job. It has nothing to do with medicine. That's why university professors frequently make a lot less than jobs that seem comparable in a lot of ways. Jobs compensate in a variety of ways. Some financial, some not.

Docs still have a great deal of prestige. C'mon now, be reasonable. Patients, and people more generally, have huge amount of respect for doctors. They show up near the top on every prestige survey. It's just that you're judging it by a ridiculous standard. You mean that patients no longer revere doctors, as they used ot. That's true. But believe me, they get lots of respect. Have you ever worked any other professional service job? You think lawyers get more respect from clients or consultants from clients? C'mon. If you didn't have such an unreasonable standard, perhaps you wouldn't be so embittered.

And would I rather be a PA? Well if my intentions were really to help people, I probably would. They spend more time with patients than MDs.

Well, if you think PAs do more to help people, maybe they should make more. There's no law of the universe that years of training should determine compensation. Many factors go into compensation in our semi free market society. There are highly trained math phds making very litte $$$.

And I ask you again, would you rather be a PA? If not, it suggests that you feel your compensation, all factors considered, is better. If PAs really have it better, then you should want to be one

Bullsh*t they don't. Have you seen what CRNA's make these days? More than a number of primary care docs make. I'm doing a rotation with a psychiatrist now that told me one of his PAs makes more than some of the internists working at the same hospital. And prestige as compensation? What?! That's exactly what's wrong with medicine these days....the ego. Patients don't even respect doctors decisions anymore. You wouldn't believe the number of times i've taken a history and had a patient tell me that they didn't like a particular doctor because he didn't do this or that (e.g. prescribe antibiotics, order certain tests, etc.). And would I rather be a PA? Well if my intentions were really to help people, I probably would. They spend more time with patients than MDs. Isn't that what a lot of people go into medicine for anyway? Prestige, heh. Yeah, the prestige is really at a high point when you sit at a round table during rounds talking about the color, texture, frequency, smell of patient's bowel movements with a serious face. Very prestigous guys.

The problem isn't with the salaries of the CRNAs but with the low salaries of internists. Internists just can't bill enough to get to that upper eschelon of salaries. CRNAs do procedures all day long and the anesthesiologist can bill for those services. This income generation can then be passed down the CRNA in the form of a high salary. Its sad the way medicine works these days, I really don't understand why anyone would go into primary care. The people that do have my utmost respect b/c its a job I could never do. In the future, something will change b/c at this rate, there will be a total brain drain in the primary care specialties. People like money and free time, primary care specialties offer neither. It's really sad.

Internists should probably make more.

Docs still have a great deal of prestige. C'mon now, be reasonable. Patients, and people more generally, have huge amount of respect for doctors. They show up near the top on every prestige survey. It's just that you're judging it by a ridiculous standard. You mean that patients no longer revere doctors, as they used ot. That's true. But believe me, they get lots of respect. Have you ever worked any other professional service job? You think lawyers get more respect from clients or consultants from clients? C'mon. If you didn't have such an unreasonable standard, perhaps you wouldn't be so embittered.

And I ask you again, would you rather be a PA? If not, it suggests that you feel your compensation, all factors considered, is better. If PAs really have it better, then you should want to be one

Yeah you're right internists probably should make more but the fact is many don't. And prestige surveys? Surveys have no bearing on what you see in clinical practice. Its kind of like surveys you see around election time. Sure 60% of people disapprove of George W., but that doesn't translate into votes. If an election were held today, he would still win! Sure, people when asked will say they hold doctors in high regard. But on an individual level, I can't say that I've seen this in practice. Again people like you as long as you're doing what they think is right. The trust is gone. Or better yet, its a conditional trust. "No sir, you don't have a bacterial infection thus don't need antibiotics at this time...They won't do you any good" doesn't work anymore. Thus enter the era of crazy bacterial resistance (community acquired MRSA!!! yes!!!) Z-packs for all. You want Augmentin? You got it!

And why must people bring up other professions? I don't care about lawyers and how hard they work. Never mentioned them. I'm not in it for the respect. I love medicine in theory, and I've learned a lot. I just don't get to practice what I've learned. And with your rant on PA's, isn't that the point of this thread? If you could do it over, would you? No, I wouldn't. Had I known what I know now I would not have gone to med school. I'd never heard of PAs until I got here, thus it wasn't an option.

I just asked you to name some, not exclude one.

Dude, you really should just chill on this topic. What are you? A first year? Ha! Come talk to me in two years. You've got as much credibility as gujudoc on this thread.

This thread went way off track once again. There are countless MD/DO vs you name it threads. But the question to those of you who have done the residency, or still in it remains...Whould you still do it again if you had a chance to start all over again? Also if you noticed, there are many ppl who go into medicine from those "other" careers, that many on this forum consider more rewarding. Also there many folks,like myself, who have been in allied health for a while still go to medicine, knowing quite well (or thinkingh they do), what they are getting into.
Could some of you former Bankers, Finance, Computer, Engineer ppl, and former RNs, PAs, NPs, PTs, OTs etc post your opinions. I understand why many of you, who went to medical school sraight from college could be disillusioned at the end of this "tunnel". But what about those who had a career, including one in healthcare...why change it? We already help ppl, and yes, sometimes we are the only ones there, so we do save lives too. But I know no matter how hard it would be, and how financially non-rewarding it may be, I still want to "step in it". Was it worth it for you, "other" career ppl?

Thanks

Here's the latest on that residency lawsuit.

http://osma.informz.net/admin31/con...6&ptid=45&brandid=3004&uid=750047737&mi=67268

Match Program Lawsuit Requests US Supreme Court Review

Last week, lawyers who represent physician plaintiffs in a case against the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review an appeals court decision striking down a class action lawsuit against dozens of medical schools and teaching hospitals, alleging the plaintiffs conspired to depress medical students' compensation.

Filed in 2002, the lawsuit claimed the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and 35 other associations and academic health centers had violated antitrust laws by conspiring to "illegally restrain competition in the market for resident physician services" through the NRMP, which also was named as a defendant.

The AMA Medical Staff Section (MSS) and the AMA Resident and Fellow Section (RFS) have taken positions opposing this litigation. Additionally, a study published in the September 3, 2003 issue of JAMA suggested that the "Match" system does not suppress salaries and that salaries would not be expected to rise if the "Match" was dissolved.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia upheld the U.S. District Court's August 2004 dismissal of the lawsuit and now the fate of this case lies in the hands of the US Supreme Court.

Dude, you really should just chill on this topic. What are you? A first year? Ha! Come talk to me in two years. You've got as much credibility as gujudoc on this thread.
I guess it was just too much to ask.

Sure 60% of people disapprove of George W., but that doesn't translate into votes. If an election were held today, he would still win!

I *highly* doubt this.

Whoa Don't know where your attack on me came from, seeing that I'm not claiming to know anything more then the people who've gone through this stuff. If you want to compare him to someone you ought to compare him to someone like NRA who's the one making comments about how things are ******ed that some of the residents have said.

Again, I don't claim to know crap about your experiences or your feelings on doing this again or what is a better or worse off career in your minds.

If my previous posts came off as such then I apologize. The only thing I've done as of late in this thread is come in to read you alls responses and to agree on a couple of minor points.

But again, sorry if I offended you.

Hi Everyone!

I just stumbled upon this thread today...looks like I've missed out...can't believe this thread has been going on since April 2005!

I've only read a few of the posts but I don't understand why this thread is so popular...there are like tons of different people sparring with each other and another group writing gigantuan essays on topics that are completely unrelated.

So obviously i'm not going back to read all 982 posts so far..but can someone enlighten me on what amazing revelations have been obtained on this thread over the last 1.5 years.

I'm sure I'm going to invoke a ton of emotions just writing these few lines..let the games begin....

P.S. as to my answer to the ORIGINAL question..my answer is most definitely no....I do not regret for one minute my career choice...maybe I was lucky that I relied on my gut feelings and took my chances. I mean..is there any ideal profession out there?...you can complain about anything if you try hard enough...it's a priviledge to be able to practice medicine and should be taken as such.

PGY4 Neuro Res

Whoa Don't know where your attack on me came from, seeing that I'm not claiming to know anything more then the people who've gone through this stuff. If you want to compare him to someone you ought to compare him to someone like NRA who's the one making comments about how things are ******ed that some of the residents have said.

Again, I don't claim to know crap about your experiences or your feelings on doing this again or what is a better or worse off career in your minds.

If my previous posts came off as such then I apologize. The only thing I've done as of late in this thread is come in to read you alls responses and to agree on a couple of minor points.

But again, sorry if I offended you.

Thanks for that Gujudoc. I appreciate how you just brought me into this, when I was noway involved between your guys convo, in some attempt to defend yourself. Great to see you can really handle yourself.:thumbup:

I used to say no, that I would not do it over again. I would tell people who asked that I would go to film school instead, because I like movies.

Recently, though, I had one of my clinic patients die suddenly and unexpectedly. This guy used to drive me crazy, always bringing in some form or another and working some angle to get on social security benefits. He always insisted on seeing me. He always insisted that I was the best doctor he ever had and that he was going to track me down after I finished residency and keep me as his doctor. I used to tell him I was going to create a witness protection type program for doctors so that they can assume a new identity and hide from their clinic patients after residency. I used to tell him that he was my inspiration for this idea. His personality usually bordered on histrionic. I used to have to take 5 minutes or so to achieve some sort of zen state before every visit when he came to the clinic.

It really bothered me when he died. I was kind of surprised how much it bothered me. His chart over the course of the year of me seeing him had ballooned to roughly the size of a greater metro area phone book. Then just like that all of it was for naught.

I realize now that I actually like this job and at least have some level of bitter affection for my clinic patients. I'd probably do it over again.

Hi Everyone!

I just stumbled upon this thread today...looks like I've missed out...can't believe this thread has been going on since April 2005!

I've only read a few of the posts but I don't understand why this thread is so popular...there are like tons of different people sparring with each other and another group writing gigantuan essays on topics that are completely unrelated.

So obviously i'm not going back to read all 982 posts so far..but can someone enlighten me on what amazing revelations have been obtained on this thread over the last 1.5 years.

I'm sure I'm going to invoke a ton of emotions just writing these few lines..let the games begin....

P.S. as to my answer to the ORIGINAL question..my answer is most definitely no....I do not regret for one minute my career choice...maybe I was lucky that I relied on my gut feelings and took my chances. I mean..is there any ideal profession out there?...you can complain about anything if you try hard enough...it's a priviledge to be able to practice medicine and should be taken as such.

PGY4 Neuro Res

Two things......

1. Can you clarify what you mean when you say no because the rest of your post seems to contradict your original answer? So do you hate or like medicine?? What would you do if you didn't go into medicine?

2. To answer your question the short end of it is that most people are disgruntled with medicine due to the many problems with ways residency programs are runned and several other downsides of medicine. Few people posted that they would do it again. Nothing new there. That's real life if you ask people in any residency program the same thing.

By this reasoning every man who has ever completed basic military training is a *****.

I'm not a miliary man, but I've heard rumours that during boot camp the drill instructor is often observed to shout at and verbally berate the men in his charge. Is this not true? Yes, soldiers are hopefully physically stronger and better skilled at physical combat than doctors, but considering the amount of verbal batterings that the average soldier soaks up on a regular basis, they are then, mentally speaking, unquestionably a bunch of pussys.

Doctors, on the other hand, could be considered pussys relative to soldiers on the basis of the soldiers greater probability to win against a doctor in a fist fight. I will grant you that.

By this reasoning every man who has ever completed basic military training is a *****.

I'm not a miliary man, but I've heard rumours that during boot camp the drill instructor is often observed to shout at and verbally berate the men in his charge. Is this not true? Yes, soldiers are hopefully physically stronger and better skilled at physical combat than doctors, but considering the amount of verbal batterings that the average soldier soaks up on a regular basis, they are then, mentally speaking, unquestionably a bunch of pussys.

Doctors, on the other hand, could be considered pussys relative to soldiers on the basis of the soldiers greater probability to win against a doctor in a fist fight. I will grant you that.

I think it is probably expected to be verbally berated many times during your residency...you just gotta expect it. The guy was a ***** for crying about it. But who knows, maybe the guy was just having a bad day....broke up with his gf, family member sick, questioning med.........the verbal abuse might have just topped it off. But hes still a ***** for crying about it in public.

Two things......

1. Can you clarify what you mean when you say no because the rest of your post seems to contradict your original answer? So do you hate or like medicine?? What would you do if you didn't go into medicine?

2. To answer your question the short end of it is that most people are disgruntled with medicine due to the many problems with ways residency programs are runned and several other downsides of medicine. Few people posted that they would do it again. Nothing new there. That's real life if you ask people in any residency program the same thing.

I guess verbal reasoning/logic isnt your strong point. He meant NO= he doesnt regret medicine.

I am of course referring to medical school and residency where there is no law governing the relationship of superior to subordinate, only custom. There is no law, for instance, against calling your attending by his first name. I usually called my attendings "Dr. So-and-so" out of respect but I started calling one of them "Bob" after he started belittling me in front of the team.

It made him really mad but what could he do? Give me a bad evaluation? Big deal. What's one bad evaluation out of a hundred you will get during your clinical rotations? Could he order me to call him "Doctor?" Of course not. Could he fire me? Again, no. The worst he could do was kick me off his team but even then if I wanted to make an issue of it he'd have a hard time justifying insulting me in public.

My point is that you don't have to take abuse as a medical student or a resident. It's not the military. If you let your attending talk to you like you're some kind of idiot without correcting him then you are a *****. It took me almost all of third year and half of fourth year to realize this. On the other hand as I am older, bigger, and meaner than most medical students most people treated me pretty well except on the occasions when I did something stupid and richly deserved the sarcasm heaped upon me.

By the way, apart from boot camp, it is rare to see a Marine leader verbally abusing one of his subordinates. We praise in public and criticise in private, except of course if you are yelling at your entire squad. The only time I ever yelled at anybody (exccept to be overheard over loud noises) was when they had done or were in the process of doing something that was increfibly stupid, not something as trivial as not knowing where to stand in the OR or not knowing Ranson's criteria.

Two things......

Well the original line of the thread was "If you could do it over would you""..therefore my answer is no, so how does that contradict my answer??:confused:

I think my answer states in pretty simple English that I do NOT hate medicine and given other career choices out there, there is nothing better than medicine;)

By the way...I trained in the UK and if you think you guys have it bad here, you should go over there and see how much better the training is here...sure it's a socialized health care systems but it sucks! 90% of doctors are miserable and the training takes forever, you have to apply for new jobs every 6 months and theres no guarantee to become an attending. To be a neurologist or any other specialist you pretty much need to do a PhD and even then will take over 10 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.