Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lexrageorge said:I certainly cannot comment on what it is like treating drug addicts. I am not in med school yet, and I must admit that that is one aspect that gives me pause. But,...
I am sick of all these posts that say law and investment banking are the way to go. These posts are from med students or residents that have NO idea what those fields are truly like. Yes, everyone knows someone who did very, very well as a banker, lawyer, real estate mogul, etc. Yes, these can be lucrative fields. But, the best opportunities in these fields are restricted to those that graduate from the best (Top 10 or so) law or business schools, and those that are near the top 10-20% of their class. Also, useless factors such as family pedigree, undergraduate college, prep school education and how well one performs on invalid and irrelevant personality tests are considered by hiring managers in these fields. Outsiders need not apply.
Fact: if you go to med school, you will become a doctor, and you will do well financially. Some physicians do extremely well, but these are a minority. And you will have job security (which you will NEVER have in I-Banking). Of course, none of that matters if you don't like practicing medicine.
Finally, if you don't like reading posts from premeds, you can either ignore them, or simply ignore these forums altogether. I personally don't care what your boyfriend and your father went through; that is just as irrelevant to the discussion.
Touchdown lexrageorge!! Very well said. In the future though bare in mind that ELysium is one of those "daughters of a Doctor" who thought it would be the only way and she would get so much respect from the nurses and her life would be stars and blue skies and.... then she wakes up one morning and realizes "oh wow I did this for the prestige, not the job!" and realized she is an idiot.
A lot of disgruntled residents or med students like Elysium were those once-starry-eyed pre-meds.. You can always tell when someone has been a prissy little bi*#& their whole life, daughter of a doctor, never lifted a finger in her life, and finally one day they will wake up as an intern and their outlook on life goes to sh*$.
Useless whining
. I see that lots of ppl are switching fields, and entering from business, law, hi tech etc. My hat is off to you guys, and I really mean it. But my dilemma is that I am already in the healthcare. Without posting my resume and CV, just briefly... I have my RN for 15 yrs workedin all kinds of settings including ER,critical care and paper pushing (administration). Also have my M.S in Acupuncture and Oriental medicine. All of the sudden last year I got into my had that I'm underachieved, and that nothing less than MD will do for me anymore. So applied to some Carib schools, all accepted me, and off I went to Ross University. Never tried to take MCAT, and possibly going D.O route. So about a month and a half into the semester it really caught up with me. I left my wife and my then 6 y.o dtr home. And being away from them, stress from the school itself,being in the hellhole in the middle of nowhere, shoving 6 figure income, and taking myself really out of the equation...all these thoughts did a real number on me.On the top of it all I have type 2 diabetes, which got a lot worse over there. I had to withdraw, and came back really sick,more so emotionally.