If you could go back...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddie830

fuggetaboutit
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and take one class in undergrad to better prepare you for dental school, what would it be?

I am graduating next year and for my last quarter I just need to complete 1 class to satisfy graduation reqs. I would like to take another class or two that could give me a slight edge in dental school. Any input? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Eddie830 said:
...and take one class in undergrad to better prepare you for dental school, what would it be?

I am graduating next year and for my last quarter I just need to complete 1 class to satisfy graduation reqs. I would like to take another class or two that could give me a slight edge in dental school. Any input? Thanks!

microbiology

or biochem for columbia.

Members don't see this ad :)
histo and anatomy. If you have to choose, then go with histo.

Microbiology (from the perspective of getting ready for boards).

I would have probably taken an upper-level anatomy class, but I don't think that would have helped me a whole lot simply because I'd forget a lot of minutia (anatomy is difficult for me because of the numerous minor structures).

I would take an osteology class. Learn all I could about bones. Half of every anatomy practical test is all about bones questions. And they can be tricky stuff.

Probably Gross anatomy or Human dissection (the two cadaver courses in my undergrad, each class of 12 had 4 cadavers) or histology (but it was a one month course with 12 hour class periods)

Cellular Biology baby!

My school does not seem to offer histology so I'll try to look into taking anatomy. Thanks for the replies!

Snorkeling, dude. Or soccer. Anything but a "real" class. Dental school will be upon you soon enough; you'll find that extra bio class did very little for you except suck away hours of your life. :D

Eddie830 said:
My school does not seem to offer histology so I'll try to look into taking anatomy. Thanks for the replies!

if it helps..
..cell bio is more or less the same subject as histology

Dear Eddie830,

Good question to ruminate on...if I could go back in time and take a course to prepare me for dental school...I would chose exactly the same major "microbiology and immunology" (bacteriology courses, virology courses, bacterial pathogenesis, pathology, anatomy , histology, biochemistry, genetics etc.) - the best undergrad program !!!!!Even to this day , the world of microbes still fascinate me (sounds morbid doesn't it :D ) and I like reading up on recent research.

Every pathology in the mouth has some sort of microbiological / immunological/ biochemical causal relation: caries, periodontal disease, candidiasis, hairy leukoplakia, herpes simplex, hand and foot disease, syphylis, tuberculosis, mumps, varicella, AIDS (which has a long too list here with all it's oral manifestations), papillomas, cyclic neutropenia, pericoronitis, denture stomatitis, cellulitis, Ludwig's angina, halitosis, oral cancer (yes, even oral cancer- immunology folks!!!), autoimmune diseases ( such as Sjogren's syndrome, graft versus host disease, systemic lupus erythematous, scleroderma , rheumatoid arthritis , etc.) , allergic reactions, salivary gland neoplasms, this list is really a tiny fraction ! MICRO & IMMUNO RULES!!!!

But Eddie, I think my best advice I could give to someone aspiring to become a dentist, is to think of alternative programs... in other words, select a major which you feel enthusiastic about in case you don't end up in dental school.

Finally, Eddie, I think there are some things I DEFINITELY would change if I could go back in time...socialize more !!!! Enjoy one day at a time as if it were my last. Read more religious/spiritual/motivational literature. Go and breathe some country air more often. Canoe. Take more dance classes. Swim more and try to practice my squash more seriously. Study spanish more seriously ( especially if you want to practice in the US). Appreciate my parents and family a lot more than I did. And be more forgiving to others for their faults or idisyncracies...especially forgiving of my own human imperfections. BREATHE AND CHILL!!!! :cool:

Good luck, Eddie
Smilemaker