If you didnt get into dental school this year...read this!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exceedn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many people are wondering and worrying about this upcoming school year, because they did not get into dental school. I have a message: "Do not give up, because you can get accepted with a little work!" I remember vividly how disappointed I was last year. I received only one interview, which was my state school. I was waitlisted there and never heard back from them. I understand the reason I didn't get accepted. As a first time applicant, my GPA (3.23), Science GPA (barely below 3.0), and DAT were low (18 AA, 19 PAT). I thought, as many SDN contributors do, the name of my institution I attended would mean something, with regards to my lower than average statistics.

I graduated in May 2009 and didn't know what my next step was. Do I attend a post-bacc program at UofP, Temple, etc... or do I just take additional classes at a local institution? I met with my advisor to make a plan. We decided it was best for me to take additional science classes and raise my GPA, retake DAT possibly, and additional shadowing. I took his advice and moved back home where I enrolled into a local state university and took a higher-level science class during the first month of the summer. I did really well in it and earned an A in the class. (I did think it was much easier than taking it at my undergrad institution, maybe because a summer class or a state school). During 2008-2009, I showed an ability to raise my GPA by taking additional science classes and taking a full load of 18 credit hours. While the fall semester was semi-decent, I truly showed improvement my final semester of college by earning all A's.
After doing well at the state school, I spent the month of July studying specifically for the DAT and filling out my application with new letters of recommendation. I was able to showcase the upscale projectory in my application. I raised my DAT to a 20 AA and a 21 PAT with no sections lower than a 19. By taking the class at the state school and doing well my senior year, I was able to raise my GPA and Science GPA (3.19). I also signed up for additional science classes at the state school during the fall semester. I signed up for 2 higher-level biology classes and a math class. I only signed up for 3 classes, because they were the only ones allowed in my schedule that I had not taken yet.
During that semester, Fall 2009, I received 7 interview offers, followed up by 4 additional interviews in January for January and February. My interviews were late in the cycle November - February. I didn’t receive my first interview offer until the first week of November. Basically to cut a story short, I interviewed at 8 schools and cancelled the rest. I was accepted to 7 of the schools and the 8th school still has me waitlisted. Also, all the schools that offered me interviews were schools that denied me last year. I just wanted people to know you can get accepted the 2nd year around, better days lie ahead. Hope this helps, just keep don’t give up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) I did really well in it and earned an A in the class.
2) During 2008-2009, I showed an ability to raise my GPA by taking additional science classes and taking a full load of 18 credit hours. While the fall semester was semi-decent, I truly showed improvement my final semester of college by earning all A's.
3) I raised my DAT to a 20 AA and a 21 PAT with no sections lower than a 19.
4) By taking the class at the state school and doing well my senior year, I was able to raise my GPA and Science GPA (3.19). I also signed up for additional science classes at the state school during the fall semester. I signed up for 2 higher-level biology classes and a math class.

I just wanted people to know you can get accepted the 2nd year around, better days lie ahead. Hope this helps, just keep don't give up.
You took all the proper steps to improve your application. Following these guidelines will definitely help lead to a possible acceptance 2nd cycle.

Last edited:
I know many people are wondering and worrying about this upcoming school year, because they did not get into dental school. I have a message: "Do not give up, because you can get accepted with a little work!" I remember vividly how disappointed I was last year. I received only one interview, which was my state school. I was waitlisted there and never heard back from them. I understand the reason I didn't get accepted. As a first time applicant, my GPA (3.23), Science GPA (barely below 3.0), and DAT were low (18 AA, 19 PAT). I thought, as many SDN contributors do, the name of my institution I attended would mean something, with regards to my lower than average statistics.

I graduated in May 2009 and didn't know what my next step was. Do I attend a post-bacc program at UofP, Temple, etc... or do I just take additional classes at a local institution? I met with my advisor to make a plan. We decided it was best for me to take additional science classes and raise my GPA, retake DAT possibly, and additional shadowing. I took his advice and moved back home where I enrolled into a local state university and took a higher-level science class during the first month of the summer. I did really well in it and earned an A in the class. (I did think it was much easier than taking it at my undergrad institution, maybe because a summer class or a state school). During 2008-2009, I showed an ability to raise my GPA by taking additional science classes and taking a full load of 18 credit hours. While the fall semester was semi-decent, I truly showed improvement my final semester of college by earning all A's.
After doing well at the state school, I spent the month of July studying specifically for the DAT and filling out my application with new letters of recommendation. I was able to showcase the upscale projectory in my application. I raised my DAT to a 20 AA and a 21 PAT with no sections lower than a 19. By taking the class at the state school and doing well my senior year, I was able to raise my GPA and Science GPA (3.19). I also signed up for additional science classes at the state school during the fall semester. I signed up for 2 higher-level biology classes and a math class. I only signed up for 3 classes, because they were the only ones allowed in my schedule that I had not taken yet.
During that semester, Fall 2009, I received 7 interview offers, followed up by 4 additional interviews in January for January and February. My interviews were late in the cycle November - February. I didn’t receive my first interview offer until the first week of November. Basically to cut a story short, I interviewed at 8 schools and cancelled the rest. I was accepted to 7 of the schools and the 8th school still has me waitlisted. Also, all the schools that offered me interviews were schools that denied me last year. I just wanted people to know you can get accepted the 2nd year around, better days lie ahead. Hope this helps, just keep don’t give up.

To raise your DAT scores, was the Kaplan book enough for the GC and Bio sections? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good job bro, im sure you will make a great dentist!

That's great to hear exceedn!
I have a similar story and am reapplying for Sept 2011. If you don't mind sharing, which schools did you apply to?

Thank you for sharing your story. If you dont mind me asking...what undergrad school did you go to?

Wait, so just to clarify..after you graduated your senior year of undergrad, you only took summer school classes at your local state school and then reapplied?
Since you applied junior year of undergrad, you're saying that your grades from senior year + summer school helped factor into your newly successful re-application right?

To raise your DAT scores, was the Kaplan book enough for the GC and Bio sections? Thanks.

I used DAT Destroyer the 2nd time around and used a CLIFF AP book for the Bio-section which was much more beneficial to raise my BIO section. I also used Crack the Dat for the PAT. Do not rely solely on Kaplan. Also, I recommend taking as many practice test as you can and actually reviewing the questions you missed and understand why. I even studied every answer choise - the topic the answer choice the question came from.

That's great to hear exceedn!
I have a similar story and am reapplying for Sept 2011. If you don't mind sharing, which schools did you apply to?

I applied using the ADEA book at schools where I had a legitimate shot at attending based on out of state data etc...
I applied to nearly all of the private schools and few state schools that were receptive to my geographic locality - if I was a section of the country they did not get many applicants.

Wait, so just to clarify..after you graduated your senior year of undergrad, you only took summer school classes at your local state school and then reapplied?
Since you applied junior year of undergrad, you're saying that your grades from senior year + summer school helped factor into your newly successful re-application right?

I applied during the 2008-2009 application cycle and did not get accepted. It was between my Junior and Senior year during the summer. After I saw how low my GPA was, I knew I had to buckle down my senior year and try to raise it to show some improvement that could be seen during the update period for AADSAS. By showing improvement in my GPA throughout the year, I was able to build on the upward trajectory storyline. I then took an additional science class at the state school after graduating. I also signed up for additional classes at the state school for the fall semester. I believe the dental schools saw how serious I was about attending dental school by taking additional classes and the DAT and increase in GPA showed them an upward trajectory in my work.

Thank you for sharing your story. If you dont mind me asking...what undergrad school did you go to?

I attended a school that is in the top 20 schools according to US News & World Report. I really do not think the name of the school you attended matters. The one thing that does matter is your DAT score. They use that to get a true picture of how you stack up against the rest of the applicants.

Heres a post I made a while back hope it helps the thread

By the time we all figure out that we aren't getting accepted to a program often it leaves us not much time to do anything about it. We apply during the summer we wait til December or later to hear back from schools which leaves us less than one semester to do something about it. So how do we do something about that lets post up our ideas on improving apps for the second time around...

My story of how I improved my app...
I wasn't naive the first time I went into applying. I'm honest I wasn't that great of a candidate and Only got one interview. Overview GPA 3.3 sGPA 3.2 AA 18 TS 18 PAT 24. 150 hours shadowing 850 hours service. Worked as veterinary tech previous 4 years.... I continued working through the fall and spring semesters. I took 14 hours of science classes 4 hours non pulled a GPA of 4.23 fall semester Spring I pulled a repeat with 18 hours science creds and a GPA of 3.8 (dang endocrinology). I got into a research program with one of my professors and did 150 hours. I found a newspaper editor for a major newspaper to help me with my PS. I think it was pretty dang good too. Continued to study and retook dat. AA20 TS20 PAT25. Graduated Cum Laude from ASU. This year 5 interviews across the country. 2 acceptances 2 waitlists and as of now 1 I don't know. Got into an awesome school one I'm really stoked to attend...

So really my advice is to be honest with yourselves if your not that great recognize that beforehand and it will give you more time to do something which worked out great for me.

Thanks for postin your story exeedn!

My story is very similar: I attended a school in the top 20 (as you did) and ignorantly assumed that it would somehow help my subpar grades (3.0/3.0). After not getting getting in (I applied the summer after graduating) with a 22/20/20, I decided it was time to buckle down and take upper-division biology courses full-time at a local state university. I've done this for the past 2 years (getting all A/A+s - raising my GPA to a 3.4), in addition to working at a dental office and a tutor center, and even had to retake the DAT bcuz my score expired. All that being said, I am going to apply on June 3rd and can only hope my story ends as well as yours does. Thanks for giving all of us with lower GPAs some hope and evidence that persistence pays off.