If you dont have a 4.0 what is the reason ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikePhen2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might get an A- or B+ in a class this semester because I just found it so boring and the prof so poor that I just blew it off. I am doing marginally in the class and maybe can still get an A but I doubt it.

So I was wondering what are the most common reasons for not having a 4.0 ? Dont like the class ? Spend too much time avoiding school ( perhaps watching too much NCAA basketball during March ? ) Some classes are just too hard or perhaps not good at quantitative classes like physics or gen chem ?

What are the most common reasons for not having a 4.0 ?

Members don't see this ad.

MikePhen2 said:
I might get an A- or B+ in a class this semester because I just found it so boring and the prof so poor that I just blew it off. I am doing marginally in the class and maybe can still get an A but I doubt it.

So I was wondering what are the most common reasons for not having a 4.0 ? Dont like the class ? Spend too much time avoiding school ( perhaps watching too much NCAA basketball during March ? ) Some classes are just too hard or perhaps not good at quantitative classes like physics or gen chem ?

Why are you so worried about having a 4.0?

Because it's not worth all the extra effort. Got other things to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that sounds like how I'm doing in my general chemistry class, except I have an A+ due to an easy professor who gives a lot of extra credit assignments. Though it sounds like an A+ would be a very good grade and that the student with one would understand the material well, that isn't really the case. Chemistry for me is really tough to comprehend. It's because a lot of the subject is taught in abstract terms, I guess.

One thing I do know is that it isn't because it's a quantitative class considering I'm decent at math. So add the fact that it's challenging to understand (but much easier to apply) to the fact that I'm not really intrigued with the subject matter, and we have a case where I'm not generally on top of my work.

A 4.0 is like virginity...once you lose it, you never get it back.

I lost my 4.0 just by transferring. My 1st undergrad school had a policy where A- still was worth 4.0, but my 2nd school didn't...so my A- in English comp brought me down.

After that, I can't get it back, so I just did my best and didn't stress over it.

because im not a gunner?

or a troll.... :smuggrin:

MikePhen2 said:

because evn premeds are human :D

bmcgilligan said:

:laugh: True.

bmcgilligan said:
yeah, but i actually miss my 4.0 :p

Never had a 4.0. Why? Because i actually enjoy my college life, and i can deal with a lower average but knowing that not many other pre-meds have my experiences.

i did wayyyyyyyy too many drugs in my lifetime that my brain just couldnt perform at the 4.0 level any more
but f.uck, i had fun

may i direct you to:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165814

and i'll say the same thing i did then.

because you have a life.
because college is rough.
because life is not about being perfect.
because getting the entire college "experience" is worth more than a number.

Members don't see this ad :)
avinash said:
because im not a gunner?

or a troll.... :smuggrin:
That's *exactly* what I was thinking, possibly throwing jerk in there somewhere... :D

are you seriously freaking because you might not get a solid A in one class?!?!?! :confused: What year are you in school? dude, I think you should get the A- or B+ just to get it because if you never get anything less than perfect, you are going to be in for a big let down when things don't go your way later in life.

And to answer your question, if you have all A's and one A- or B+, believe me, no one is going to ask you why you didn't get the solid A in that class because no one will care because your 3.998 GPA will be impressive enough.

and lastly, everyone has one or two (or more) classes that they just don't like or get...so don't worry about it! Go out and have some fun, you're only in college once :)

Remember, according to Mike, someone with a 4.0 in History or English doesn't deserve to go to medical school.

all i could think of when i read this was "gunner." but to answer the OP's question, the reason i don't have a 4.0 is...

at the beginning of college, i didn't know how to study that well yet. i didn't realize what all i was capable of.

in the middle of my college experience, my classes were too hard to get As in all of them, and i drank a little too much.

now, in my last semester, i drink way too much and don't care about my grades anymore, because i'm already into med school.

melimi said:
i did wayyyyyyyy too many drugs in my lifetime that my brain just couldnt perform at the 4.0 level any more
but f.uck, i had fun

I went from a 4.0 my first semester in college to a 2.4 my first sophomore semester. I think I had great fun :D

Better to F-up the GPA a little in undergrad than learn those lessons later.

hmmm why I don't have a 4.0:

i have friends
sports
boys
beer
tv
boys
clubs and ECs
umm did I say boys?

MikePhen2 said:

If you have to ask that question,
then you need to go to a tougher university

HTH

I don't have a 4.0 because I have a 4.005.

Really though, it doesn't matter, as long as you have a decent GPA and a decent mcat to back it up. Having a life is more important - the perfect numbers won't get you in if all you did was live in the library

Is this MilwaukeeMike resurfacing again? How's it going? Quit asking stupid questions.

first semester...took computer engineering. The test in the computer engineering and programming courses kicked my butt. Just made stupid mistakes and it felt like studying for these classes wouldn't help my grade all that much.

Also, had an honors english teacher that absolutly tore up my papers. I did learn a lot, but i'm not sure it was worth a B.

Got a 3.5 now, switched to bioinformatics. Hoping to improve a little this semester, and end up with around a 3.7 by the time it's all done.

Getting a 4.0 is not worth the stress at all...

I don't have enough time. Between work, school, significant other, and research, I can't make it all happen.

It all started when I took linguistics. Sounds fun, right? It's not.

Then I got engaged.

Because I got mono with Adv. Calc II, O Chem II, and P Chem II in the same semester. I'm happy with my resulting 3.7 (not counting the two years of waayyy too young and stupid from 10+ years ago).

Because no one at my school has a 4.0. Literally. Yay for no grade inflation!

Because I'm here to learn, and therefore take classes that challenge me and force me out of my comfort zone.

Because I'm more interested in taking classes that I will enjoy than taking classes that guarentee a good grade.

Because getting an A should be the exception, not the rule.

Because if I had a 4.0, I would feel cheated. I work hard for the grades I have. At other schools, less work would mean higher grades, but what would be the point?

Most of all, because college isn't about your GPA.

skiracer90 said:
umm did I say boys?
YAY FOR BOYS! (time for bed... it's been a looooooong night.)

Embily123 said:
Because no one at my school has a 4.0. Literally. Yay for no grade inflation!

Because I'm here to learn, and therefore take classes that challenge me and force me out of my comfort zone.

Because I'm more interested in taking classes that I will enjoy than taking classes that guarentee a good grade.

Because getting an A should be the exception, not the rule.

Because if I had a 4.0, I would feel cheated. I work hard for the grades I have. At other schools, less work would mean higher grades, but what would be the point?

Most of all, because college isn't about your GPA.

Word! Even the smartest people I've met don't have 4.0s. I'd feel cheated too if I had a 4.0. I'd feel like I was wasting my money. And it makes me mad too when people only take classes they know they can ace. Why take it if you know it won't challenge you.

Kazema said:
Remember, according to Mike, someone with a 4.0 in History or English doesn't deserve to go to medical school.

If that's true - wow.
Because we have interests in things other than science that makes us less deserving people?
Wow.

funshine said:
If you have to ask that question,
then you need to go to a tougher university

HTH

Amen.

Caribou said:
Word! Even the smartest people I've met don't have 4.0s. I'd feel cheated too if I had a 4.0. I'd feel like I was wasting my money. And it makes me mad too when people only take classes they know they can ace. Why take it if you know it won't challenge you.

I'm Glad there are likeminded people on this board, I honestly was beginning to worry.

Anyway, no matter what people here say, in non-science classes it is harder to get good grades because grading is more objective. Writing a paper is not only more work, it's more difficult, than taking a test.

I've been in many many classes where a B+ is a great grade, and you are floored by an A- on a paper. Because, at least here, a B+ is a great grade! Sure, other places may give the same paper an A, but then no one is challenging you to do better. There is something wrong with our culture where you expect A's all the time...