If you gave up medicine, what Medically-Related Business Would You Start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPBC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a question or two. If you gave up medicine, what medically related business (internet or otherwise) would you start? There must be a ton on businesses to start in this area and I just wanted to "punt" this question to all of you creative business-medically minded souls and see want comes up.
Thanks for your input and look forward to your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

My initial goal is to start a boutique biotech engineering firm (i.e. rent out a warehouse for myself and anyone else I can find to join me) to try and make surgical devices / electronics and anything else medical that sounds interesting. I'm still gonna need to go through surgery residency of course, but I figure I'll work toward both and shift my focus and time to whatever becomes more successful.

The general idea would be to start small and see if I can license/sell projects to bigger companies until I got enough resources to expand. The details are still iffy, but the MBA will help a lot with this. I've been leaning toward neurosurgery because the field has so much more room to grow, and it's pretty interesting. The amount of precision required for intracranial procedures lends itself to the technology. I'm not really thinking about short term project either, like making a new stent to ***** out before the next quarter type idea either. I mean like long term projects with potential for really influencing the field, like adding robotics to stereotactics.

Hey if anyone else in California or closeby was thinking of something similar and would like to get the ball rolling, I'd be more than happy to start something. :D Anyone?

Someone else has to have some ideas....

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine what I'd do if I were to abandon medicine, which is why I guess I'm still hoeing this row. With medicine, I always thought I'd be able to do the engineering thing, similar to StevenRF though to start my own boutique... I don't know where I'd get the start up cap.

i am guessing that people are just not posting..

speaking for myself, i have quite a few ideas but i am hesitant to share them on a public forum.

It doesn't have to be specific. MSWinthrop and I were both thinking of engineering and medical devices. It's not like there aren't 50 bajillion of those already lol.

Join a Hedge Fund or Private Equity firm research and invest in medical technologies already in development by other companies that are looking for outside investment resources...

It doesn't have to be specific. MSWinthrop and I were both thinking of engineering and medical devices. It's not like there aren't 50 bajillion of those already lol.

to be successful, you often have to come up with something very specific otherwise you're just a face in the crowd.

I meant not specific because the guy was hesitant to post on a public forum.

Of course stuff would have to be specific. I've been keeping a journal of everything the surgeons criticize in terms of their equipment and asking them what they don't like about it. The idea is to prototype some stuff and test it out with my attendings when I get to that point. Still looking for some apples low on the tree to work out first.