If You Had To Do It Over Again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

...well?

• Yes, I would.

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No, I wouldn't.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...would you chose EM as a specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I think that if you are in medicine EM is a good place to be. I personally would do Em or Gas if I was back at square one. EM has a good job market now and will likely for the forseeable future. We tend not to get hit as hard at budget crunch time because most people understand that we are necessary, valuable and that we're the safety net even if we don't really want to be.

I am still awe struck. I really get paid to do this!?!? (I am an intern).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still glad I chose EM. The variety of patients seen -- from the simple URI to the unstable MI to the out-of-control psych patient -- makes this specialty one of the best in my opinion. Of course, not everyone can handle the volume of patients, variety, or the night shifts.

In a heartbeat.

I'm on an ICU rotation right now (my last off service month...EVER). While I like critical patients and enjoy procedures, if I have to talk about the same patient over and over and over and over and over....I just completely zone out and loose interest. Even dirty discarded objects in a trash can begin to look nice and shiny.

As my PD says....off service months are EM appreciation rotations.

I have no doubt I made the right decision with EM.

Take care,
Jeff

I would any days of the week and twice on Sunday! Best job out there.