If you’re supposed to love what you do for a living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evert1de101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this field just full of masochists?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, the field is generally a combination of docs who are:
-loving EM, and doing it despite the BS
-lukewarm on or flat-out dislike EM, but don't have a way out
-actively pursuing an escape plan
-actual masochists

Members don't see this ad :)
EM is the toughest, most thankless job in Medicine. Period. But lies saying otherwise are told so often they’ve become “the truth.”

Reactions: 4 users
From what I've seen, the field is generally a combination of docs who are:
-loving EM, and doing it despite the BS
-lukewarm on or flat-out dislike EM, but don't have a way out
-actively pursuing an escape plan
-actual masochists
-the pay for a while, up until now, has made the job worth doing. That’s what did attract a lot of people from my cohort and before. Highly doubtful it will stay that way.

-there’s also a significant degree of flexibility and mobility that comes with the job, that is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I still like my job (and am not a masochist), however , I make less than I did 2 years ago and my job is now 5 times harder. How long out are you?
Those just out got the shaft.

I am 3x happier at NewJob than OldJob.
I also make significantly more money.

Do I still love the medicine? Yeah; but the execution is suffering for all the reasons that we all know very well.

No. You find balance between a job that pays well and that you get sufficient enjoyment out of.

I like being a family doctor, but given the choice between working for my current income and not working for the same income...

I do love caring for the critically ill or injured patient but unfortunately that is just not emergency medicine currently

Reactions: 4 users
Some days I love the job. Other days it’s just OK and occasionally it sucks but fortunately those days are rare.

As of now, I’d still do it again. That could always change as the future is not so bright for the field and medicine in general but for now I make a decent living w a decent lifestyle for my family and me in a job I like more days than not.

I’ve worked hard jobs before. EM once you’ve been out a few years and have your sea legs isn't that bad if you can not take all the bull**** personally and try to have a Buddhist-like mind on shift.

Overall life is good.

Reactions: 1 users
EM is the toughest, most thankless job in Medicine. Period. But lies saying otherwise are told so often they’ve become “the truth.”

Totally disagree

Hospital medicine is BY FAR worse than EM. THAT is easily the most thankless job in Medicine.

You kidding me? ER is like 10x better than routine hospitalist medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Totally disagree

Hospital medicine is BY FAR worse than EM. THAT is easily the most thankless job in Medicine.

You kidding me? ER is like 1000x better than routine hospitalist medicine.
FTFY 😉
Agree completely
Although they will probably still have jobs in 10 years so that’s a plus

Totally disagree

You kidding me? ER is like 10x better than routine hospitalist medicine.
They do have it pretty bad. Better than snake-milkers, though.

Reactions: 1 user