If you have only 3 days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talk2urblood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was so happy to find this website. Heard about sdn but never thought to sign up.

So here is my question

I am a 4th yr at an Allo med school, going into IM. I hate taking tests. In fact i test horribly. I have been doing my uworld for about 2.5 weeks now with 75% done, and still total average timed, random is 56% with recent range from 50s- 70s now. Some sporadic scary 48%ish. I have secrets and kind of looked at at a bit. What do you think might be best use of my last few days...

1) Continuing world questions
2) Reading secrets from cover to cover
3) Change test dates but honestly, this will only make me more scared

I appreciate your sincere opinions. Thanks

T

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely going to pass and do fine. I would suggest reading through secrets 1-2 times prior to your exam. I think it would be a good, high yield review to hit the high points and refresh your memory going into the test. If you were scoring in the high 60's to 70's I would say try to finish world because there are some valuable details and you probably know most of what is in secrets. But at 56%, I personally feel that bolstering your knowledge with what is in secrets could be a big help.

Finish U world !!!

doing u wolrd questions is active learning, reading books is passive learning.

Active wins over passive any day

have to agree, do UWorld.

not only will you get some knowledge nuggets, but step 2 is an 8 block beast. so you'll build some stamina too.

if anything, read secrets for the stuff you're obviously weak in based on your UWorld performance, but you're not likely to improve much by reading secrets cover to cover since a good portion of it you likely know already if you're getting 55%+. UWorld will give provide you with the difference between 55% and 65%.

everyone's different though. however you do it, you'll pass for sure at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. Read Secrets. The reason that book is so great is that it poses the right questions and gives you explanations that will help you make the appropriate connections, better equipping you for the exam. UWorld does this too, BUT, it is very easy to "saturate" if all you do is UWorld and your average is staying put, chances are you'll take less away from UWorld now than if you switch gears and give Secrets a go.

i also have only a few days left. I finished all the usmle world questions and I've started to work through the kaplan questions. would it be better just to start re-doing the world questions or work through more of the kaplan questions? i sort of find the kaplan questions a lot harder and i'm getting a little frustrated, but I don't know if that's just a bad sign for how i'm going to do on step 2, i did pretty well on the world questions (68%), but i'm doing much worse on kaplan.