USMLE Exam in 6 days...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cartercarve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Exam is scheduled for about 6 days from now. This past wednesday I took UWSA2 and scored a 212. Obviously, that's terrifying. My step 1 score is over 240, applying anesthesia, so I have a ways to go to get close to my Step 1 score. I've just been very burned out during 3rd year and didn't utilize Uworld.

I've completed 45% of the UWorld Qbank, averaging 62% correct.
I have a couple of more intense rotations the next couple of months, but I can take november off.

My question is, is it better to put it off until november/december (interview season, busy, etc.), or just put it off a month or so, and study now every day? I only have 1 week left of free time before my rotation starts, so that means I'll be coming home later, trying to do a 40Q block daily and praying that's enough until then.

All help appreciated. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not comfortable taking it with those practice scores, I wouldn't risk it. Since you're already going to get the score back after ERAS, I don't think pushing it back more is a big deal. Idk if I would personally push it that far into Nov/Dec just in case you have to retake (not saying you will) or if you do well and want programs to see that before you interview. I would shoot for some time in early October maybe, which would give you about 2 months to prepare. Even if you only spend a few hours a day until then, it should be enough I would think. Also, the longer you stretch it out, the more you might forget so that's also something to think about.

However, if you think your rotations until Nov would be that intense, then taking it in Nov wouldn't be that bad since your step 1 is good and assuming anesthesia doesn't demand step 2 scores. You could also schedule it for Oct, see how it's going until a few weeks before by taking a practice test, and then re-evaluate. I would ask an authority figure at your school what they think, but that's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you're not comfortable taking it with those practice scores, I wouldn't risk it. Since you're already going to get the score back after ERAS, I don't think pushing it back more is a big deal. Idk if I would personally push it that far into Nov/Dec just in case you have to retake (not saying you will) or if you do well and want programs to see that before you interview. I would shoot for some time in early October maybe, which would give you about 2 months to prepare. Even if you only spend a few hours a day until then, it should be enough I would think. Also, the longer you stretch it out, the more you might forget so that's also something to think about.

However, if you think your rotations until Nov would be that intense, then taking it in Nov wouldn't be that bad since your step 1 is good and assuming anesthesia doesn't demand step 2 scores. You could also schedule it for Oct, see how it's going until a few weeks before by taking a practice test, and then re-evaluate. I would ask an authority figure at your school what they think, but that's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Wubba lubba dub dub, good sir. Thank you for your awesome input!

Reactions: 1 user