If you lived a moderate distance from MCAT site, did you get a hotel room?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimistic3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live about 50 miles from my MCAT test site and my test is at 8 am. It's in the city so there is a ton of traffic at that time, of course. Since it's the city, hotels cost around $300 - $400 per night + parking and tips, etc. so it gets very pricey. My dad has offered to drive me there and pick me up but of course then I worry about not only being late but just being tired in general from having to wake up and leave so early (we'd probably have to leave around 5 or 6 am, not sure yet).

Should I bite the bullet and spend that money on a hotel room nearby or suck it up and make sure I get to bed early and leave early? I know the AAMC gives a 5% hotel discount for us but I mean, that's practically a joke. I'm not sure why they even bother with that.

If you were in this situation, what did you do and how did it work out for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I drive about 40 miles in traffic to work almost everyday. It's not so bad. Personally I think staying at a hotel is overkill but if you are not a morning person and fear waking up an hour earlier is going to affect your scores go for it. You are in for a rude awakening in med school though.

I drive about 40 miles in traffic to work almost everyday. It's not so bad. Personally I think staying at a hotel is overkill but if you are not a morning person and fear waking up an hour earlier is going to affect your scores go for it. You are in for a rude awakening in med school though.

oh, come on. With something as important as the MCAT, I don't really want to take any chances but I'm just weighing out my options here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same issue as you; I will be taking my MCAT about an hour or so away from my hometown. I was planning on waking up around 5 a.m., which is pretty much a joke. Thankfully, I have decided to stay at a friend's apartment the night before. I suggest you stay in the city, so you can get the adequate sleep you need, in addition you won't have to stress out about commuting as much.

I'm just being tough on you, don't take what I say to heart. I'm accustomed to waking before sunrise and driving in horrible traffic in the early hours of the morning. I personally wouldn't spend that money for 50 miles. I would get a good nights sleep, wake up extra early and make sure I get their on time. Can't say everyone is the same though and you are right, the mcat is probably the most important test you have taken yet. Like a said do what you must. I wish you good luck on the mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't want any hassles the day of the exam...it's better for you to stay close and get there easily

i think it's worth it if it has the possibility of helping you.

however, sometimes sleeping in a different environment throws people out of whack too.

if i had to drive that far, and i was worried about it, i'd get the hotel.

I drove 100 miles to take mine, drove up and back in the same day

2 hour drive, not that far.. unless you never drive anywhere for anything I guess. I'd say 50 miles is def nothing to complain about

If there is any possibility of a hassle getting there, spend the money and stay in the hotel. You can learn to wake up early when you do well enough on your MCAT to start med school.

I live about 50 miles from my MCAT test site and my test is at 8 am. It's in the city so there is a ton of traffic at that time, of course. Since it's the city, hotels cost around $300 - $400 per night + parking and tips, etc. so it gets very pricey. My dad has offered to drive me there and pick me up but of course then I worry about not only being late but just being tired in general from having to wake up and leave so early (we'd probably have to leave around 5 or 6 am, not sure yet).

Should I bite the bullet and spend that money on a hotel room nearby or suck it up and make sure I get to bed early and leave early? I know the AAMC gives a 5% hotel discount for us but I mean, that's practically a joke. I'm not sure why they even bother with that.

If you were in this situation, what did you do and how did it work out for you?

I had a hotel room across the street from where I took my MCAT.

I'd get the hotel if you can afford the cost and think it will help you (for example, if you're not a morning person and are likely to stress about traffic or car trouble). I live a bit over 100 miles from my testing center and stayed at a hotel because of the reasons I gave above, but to be fair the hotel cost about $50. If you can't afford a hotel near your test site, plan ahead and go to sleep early. Good luck on your MCAT!

I live about 40 minutes away from my testing center and I had to get a hotel because traffic is horrible in the AM. I know AAMC has a deal w/ Hampton Inn that gives you about 5% off your stay if you use the code on their website.

There's really no super-ghetto hotel you could just stay one night in? I definitely wouldn't risk it and would stay the night somewhere so that I can maximize my sleep and be ready to roll in the morning.

Maybe instead of staying in the city, stay somewhere 10-15 miles away? That might make the hotel cost more bearable. This way you are saving money and don't have to wake up at 5ish to make the 8am test. I don't know just a suggestion.

Thank you all for your input. I actually just switched my test to December 6 which is at 1 pm so it's not longer an issue : ) I'm SO happy they released that extra date.