If you shadowed with a foreign doctor can they write your LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PostBaccEngineer

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am from a different country and had to move back home during COVID for multiple reasons. I ended up shadowing with a doctor in my home country and I was wondering if I can get them to write my physicians LOR? I know its probably more unfavorable than a US doctor, but its incredibly difficult to get shadowing opportunities during COVID, that in addition with me being a postbacc student meant I didnt have enough time to find an opportunity. I do have clinical volunteering and EMT experiences in the US though.

Thanks for any input!
 
You generally dont need a physicians letter for the vast vast majority of schools and the schools that require a shadowing letter are even more rare. Like what can someone really say about you when all you did is follow them around. If you have clinical volunteering experiences, a letter from someone in those roles, who is also a physician is probably much more useful than a shadowing letter even if it would be from a US doc. If you're looking at DO schools that want a DO letter then I think it needs to actually be a DO, though
 
You generally dont need a physicians letter for the vast vast majority of schools and the schools that require a shadowing letter are even more rare. Like what can someone really say about you when all you did is follow them around. If you have clinical volunteering experiences, a letter from someone in those roles, who is also a physician is probably much more useful than a shadowing letter even if it would be from a US doc. If you're looking at DO schools that want a DO letter then I think it needs to actually be a DO, though
Dont most DO schools require a physician letter? Would a foreign one fulfill that requirement?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes majority of DO schools require a physician LOR, and some even require a DO-specific letter (not many though). If the physician is an MD or DO, I don't see why it would be an issue but I'll tag @Goro for insight on your question OP.
 
You could sell it as an example of cultural competency and diversity which are big buzzphrases that are popular with adcoms, maybe sell it as a unique experience. What you should NOT do is substitute it for experience with and a letter from an American physician. If you're applying DO it reeeeeeally helps to have a letter from a DO, at some schools it's a soft requirement.