If you were this woman's physician, what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazymd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the circumstances (laws, catholic hospital, etc), do you believe that her doctor acted appropriately?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKifAdn8HCQ&feature=share&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh, the stupid Irish Government basically gave interviewers a new weapon to attack us.

Interviewer: What would you have done?
Me: I would have aborted the fetus to save her life.
Interviewer: Have fun with Bubba in prison, you naive idiot.

Me: I would have followed the law.
Interviewer: Your actions resulted in the death of a woman.

Seriously, how the hell are you supposed to answer this?

Sigh, the stupid Irish Government basically gave interviewers a new weapon to attack us.

Us who?

By aborting the fetus. There is no law prohibiting abortion to save the mother's life in Ireland. The ambiguity arises because there is also no law guaranteeing the right to an abortion when the mother's life is in danger. Instead, everyone acts according to the well-known prejudices of the state even though the law works against this.

Also, Ireland has already gone through a related controversy before. Skip down to the discussion of the case in 1992. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/14/ireland-abortion-law-woman-death

In that case, the European Court forced the government to allow the abortion in order to save the mother's life. It seems pretty clear that the hospital was in the wrong here.

By aborting the fetus. There is no law prohibiting abortion to save the mother's life in Ireland. The ambiguity arises because there is also no law guaranteeing the right to an abortion when the mother's life is in danger. Instead, everyone acts according to the well-known prejudices of the state even though the law works against this.

Also, Ireland has already gone through a related controversy before. Skip down to the discussion of the case in 1992. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/14/ireland-abortion-law-woman-death

In that case, the European Court forced the government to allow the abortion in order to save the mother's life. It seems pretty clear that the hospital was in the wrong here.

So, are the religious hospitals forced to perform abortions in life or death situations as well?

I believe the hospital in the vid was a catholic hospital. :confused:

So, are the religious hospitals forced to perform abortions in life or death situations as well?

Yes, this happened at a catholic hospital. And I think a more interesting question is "Should they be forced to perform abortions in life or death situations?"

Thanks for the link.

lazymd might have info that I don't have, but I don't think University Hospital Galway is a Catholic hospital... I can't find any information stating that it is. It is, however, connected to a national university, so I assume it receives public funding. In that case, I would argue that there was an expectation that they would abide by national law.

lazymd might have info that I don't have, but I don't think University Hospital Galway is a Catholic hospital... I can't find any information stating that it is. It is, however, connected to a national university, so I assume it receives public funding. In that case, I would argue that there was an expectation that they would abide by national law.

:thumbup: my mistake

Save one life, go to jail, never save another life.

Cost one life, don't go to jail, save at least 2 lives in the next 30 years.

Option 2 for me

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Don't physicians have the right to not perform a procedure they feel morally wrong, regardless if it's an abortion?

I'm not speaking of right and wrong - just curious.

Interesting though: I completely disagree with abortion. The fetus is a living human being. Just because it's in the womb, doesn't make it disposable.

However, if the fetus poses a threat to the mother's life, something must be done to prevent her death. If the fetus isn't aborted, the mother will die, along with the fetus in most cases. You either let both die, or save one. I choose for saving one. In all other cases, I would agree with not to aborting.

This has nothing to do with Catholic hospitals.
The Irish constituiton prohibits abortion.
The Irish Supreme Court allows abortions to save the life of the mother but that is a judgment call.

The mother was admitted on a Sunday with a systemic infection. She was in the process of miscarrying the fetus.

The physicians, not wanting to take the chance that they would be accused of breaking the law by terminating the pregnancy, waited until there was no fetal heartbeat before they removed the fetus. This occurred mid-week. The mother died the following Sunday.

Investigation is on-going as to whether the pregnancy and the delay in ending the pregnancy brought about her death. It is possible that she might have died anyway.

Last edited:
Given the circumstances (laws, catholic hospital, etc), do you believe that her doctor acted appropriately?

Very unfortunate that this had happened. First, in all cases, the government doesn't have any right to justify abortion or any other health-related matter. That matter solely lies on the hands between physicians and patients. The government should stay away from social issues, as it's none of their business. Clearly, the Irish government's interference in social issues is completely unwarranted. Government invading personal and social issues is a sign of corruption.

As LizzyM pointed out, the Irish Supreme Court supported the right to perform abortion in the case of affecting the mother's health. But, I think the physicians were hesitant in conducting prompt treatment, fearing prosecution. Thus, this matter is the government's fault. The government has no right getting involved in people's private matters, especially in health-related matters. This is completely a pathetic move on the Irish government's part.

Don't physicians have the right to not perform a procedure they feel morally wrong, regardless if it's an abortion?

I'm not speaking of right and wrong - just curious.

Interesting though: I completely disagree with abortion. The fetus is a living human being. Just because it's in the womb, doesn't make it disposable.

However, if the fetus poses a threat to the mother's life, something must be done to prevent her death. If the fetus isn't aborted, the mother will die, along with the fetus in most cases. You either let both die, or save one. I choose for saving one. In all other cases, I would agree with not to aborting.

I'm also pro-life, and it's a good idea to refer patients to other doctors if uncomfortable in conducting the procedure. But, that's a personal decision made by the doctor. This shouldn't be enforced by the government. Ireland appears like a theocracy.