If your score is >33.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fixed Gear

Highly Acetylated Locus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you prepare?

Is EK *really* that good?

Members don't see this ad.

Princeton review classes, lots of practice problems, lots of practice MCATs, lots of beer and sex (gotta take time out to relax, or you will burn out).

Basically you have to know what and how the MCAT actually tests. You don't have to memorize your orgo text. If you take a review course, the most valuable part is the practice problems in MCAT style.

A little bit of luck helps too, if you're not brilliant (I know I'm not) ;)

Start studying early...at least three months in my opinion. Study for a set time every day and stick too it. If you dont have the self discipline to study on a self impossed schedule be honest with yourself and take a class, its not a pride thing so dont screw yourself. Practice tests, practice tests, practice tests. Oh and did I mention practice tests?

Studied about 2 weeks out of second hand Kaplan materials. Really, the only way to prepare is to study hard in your premed classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey cerb, what's the deal about loving pathdr2b?

you can pm me if its, um, personal...(tee hee) :laugh:

i think that everyone has a certain ceiling as far as the MCAT goes...

after 1) reviewing the relevant science that shouldve been learned already in your UG classes and 2) after going through enough practice tests to understand what the MCAT testers want, you should be pretty close to where your god-given ability will take you.

superdevil said:
hey cerb, what's the deal about loving pathdr2b?

you can pm me if its, um, personal...(tee hee) :laugh:

I had "Antipathdr2b member" but Drmom made me change it...apparently it is ok to "love" people on SDN but not hate them! Oh the hypocrisy!!!

Studied 3 hr/night 4 nights/week starting in January. Full length practice exams in a test-like setting for 8 Saturdays. Score and review on Sunday.

gaf said:
Studied 3 hr/night 4 nights/week starting in January. Full length practice exams in a test-like setting for 8 Saturdays. Score and review on Sunday.
Yup, this was how I studied as well. Had flashcards, typed up all my notes, and basically had no friends that semester.

It's almost useless to ask what others did to prepare for the MCAT because you don't know how much they already knew prior to taking the exam. Obviously, someone who has a good background is going to advise you to only study 3-4 weeks whereas someone who was a non-science major or someone who has been out of school for several years will probably advise 3-4 months worth of study. It would be nice if people give the advice would mention their background.

Moral of the story: Determine your background and level of knowledge first. It may take you 6 months while it might take someone else 6 weeks. You just have to get to the point that you are comfortable with the material.

BassDominator said:
Really, the only way to prepare is to study hard in your premed classes.
***king A, Bro. It's all about taking your prereqs seriously and not letting yourself be intimidated.

Here's one I ripped off of Bridaddy:

Remember the immortal words of Sun Tzu (my favorite quote)

"Every battle is won or lost before it is ever fought"

Cerberus said:
I had "Antipathdr2b member" but Drmom made me change it...apparently it is ok to "love" people on SDN but not hate them! Oh the hypocrisy!!!
;) I hear you. The D.O. mods also do not like having Yosh as your bitch. Apparently "member" is acceptable though. Go figure.

gaf said:

How the crap did you find time for that? Congrats on having the discipline for that, but I just wouldn't be able to do it.

halfbaked said:
How the crap did you find time for that? Congrats on having the discipline for that, but I just wouldn't be able to do it.

You have to realize that the average SNDer has no friends.

halfbaked said:

If you get out of work or school by 5 and go to sleep at 11 that leaves 6 hours. It wasn't really that hard.

Thanks for the help/insight, yos. (as in the plural of 'yo')

I still have about 3 years till I'm done with my PhD, so I have some time on my hands to continually dorkify myself towards the MCAT.

xFGx

cerb- I too, think pathologicalliar2be is a toon. Toon as in 'certifiably insane'

I took the Kaplan class, their practice material really helped. Besides studying hard, you need to be honest with yourself about what you know and what you dont know. For example, I hated questions on fluids and optics and wanted nothing more than to just skim over that material. I MADE myself learn it. Only you know what concepts you're having trouble with - focus on those weak areas. That will REALLY help you, not just by filling the gaps in your knowledge pool but also by giving you the confidence that you're ready to take on anything the MCAT can throw at you.