If you're deaf and get hit upside up the head?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ignore this i tried to delete a question but my delete option is not there

Members don't see this ad.

I remember a question like that but.... I'm not sure how it was worded.

I think my answer choice was the good ear because conceptually you wouldn't be used to hearing in the deaf ear?? I believe that was one of the answer choices..

How about the question regarding sound in different planes. God knows what they were talking about but I chose the answer that had sound running vertically between your eyes! Whoever designed these questions must have been smoking crack!

I put horizontally.... they are smoking some crack indeed. I think I need what they're smoking.

Whats up with hearing between your eyes dude? I don't get it.

I thought they were asking in what direction the sound would be indistinguisible to both ears. In other words you couldn't tell what direction it was coming from. Running vertically down between your eyes runs alone the mid-saggital plane. That's where you have symmetry on both sides..

Seemed like a good choice at the time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would trust you because I seem to panic and misread stuff. I thought it said which would you hear the loudest...

akalin24 said:
I thought they were asking in what direction the sound would be indistinguisible to both ears. In other words you couldn't tell what direction it was coming from. Running vertically down between your eyes runs alone the mid-saggital plane. That's where you have symmetry on both sides..

Seemed like a good choice at the time?

Yeah I had a question like that almost verbatim on an exam from a Perception class I took last year. You can't localize sound based on timing or intensity differences between your ears in the mid-saggital plane; your pinnae are what help you determine where a sound is based on whether it's above you or below you by changing the frequency distribution (or something) of the sound.

EDIT: by between your ears I mean between your eyes.

I put vertically between the eyes because that would be an equal distance from each ear.

For the other question, I put the "good ear." (I don't remember quite what it was asking.)

the answer is that the sound is better heard in the bad ear b/c the good ear hears background noise. basically, the bad ear had conduction problems b/c it was missing the middle ear/bones. the cochlea was intact. as u know, sound from outside goes through the ear canal/bones to get to the cochlea, which senses mechanical vibrations as noise. the bad ear cannot hear b/c sound from outside cannot get to the inner ear/cochlea b/c its missing the typanic membrane/middle ear bones. tuning fork to head produces vibrations through the bone that the cochlea senses in the bad ear. the bad ear can hear b/c these pressure vibrations are felt thru the bone and unlike outside noises, do not need to be transmitted through the defective auditory canal.
the good ear also senses these vibrations that go directly to the cochlea. however, the good ear also hears background noise from the surroundings (b/c its ear canal/middle ear is intact). so in short: better sound fr tuning fork in bad ear due to less background noise there.