Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s a big crux of the issue. These patients are just meeting you for the first time (although not always) so it’s tough to build that trust. It’s even worse if they’re sent in by their PCP. You can’t tell them their PCP doesn’t know what they’re talking about because they’ll never trust/believe you. You just have to accept some patient encounters are a lost cause, you do what you can, you don’t argue or spend unnecessary time trying to reason with them, and you move on.I see lots of unreasonable people, I see lots of presentations that obviously are nonsense mixed with psych, and I have no trouble navigating these situations as I do it 50 times a month at least.
And the exchange in the OP still took less than a minute. I don’t feel I spent too much time with this person.
I just can’t make sense of the specific, much less common situation at the end of the OP.
I want more (usually tests)
Ok which one? What specifically are you worried about?
I DONT KNOW! YOURE THE DOCTOR
Implicit in this is both “I don’t trust you” and “you’re the only person I can trust.”
I think these are just anxious angry people and I am worrying too much about satisfying them because they are not able to be satisfied.