II from a school that rejected me last cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuxi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am super grateful to receive an II from a school I interviewed at in my previous cycle. I really loved the school for its vibe and mission, among other reasons, but messed up the interview big time and was rejected. To say I was shocked to see the email this time around would be a complete understatement. I think my hands are still shaking.

It seems as if the interview this time around will be MMI. If the interviews are closed-file and anyone asks "why this school?" is it appropriate to mention my previous experience on campus since the interview resulted in a rejection in the end? I've definitely learned from my flubbed interview and I'm assuming that the adcoms would have access to my previous file regardless. Additionally, if one of my closest friends is currently a medical student there, is it okay to mention that as preferring to go to a school where I have an existing support system? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Those are both weak reasons to attend a specific medical school. Think of something better.

Reactions: 1 users
With regard to being invited for an interview at a school that previously rejected you, it may be that the interviewers judged you as needing more time to mature but that with some some time and additional life experience you would be a good candidate for med school and a career in medicine.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's okay to mention both your visit to the campus as well as having a friend who says good things about the school (both of these things are personal and believable). Just remember that those two things are relatively minor, and you should spend more time talking about other, bigger reasons (like your fit with the school's mission).

Reactions: 3 users
Those are both weak reasons to attend a specific medical school. Think of something better.
There are definitely other reasons as to why I would prefer to attend this school over others. Those are just the two I was concerned about mentioning. Thank you for sharing your concerns!

With regard to being invited for an interview at a school that previously rejected you, it may be that the interviewers judged you as needing more time to mature but that with some some time and additional life experience you would be a good candidate for med school and a career in medicine.
Thank you for your insight! I'm truly grateful for this opportunity, and I hope I'll be able to show the interviewers how I've changed.

It's okay to mention both your visit to the campus as well as having a friend who says good things about the school (both of these things are personal and believable). Just remember that those two things are relatively minor, and you should spend more time talking about other, bigger reasons (like your fit with the school's mission).
That completely makes sense! Those were minor reasons as to why I liked the school but I was a bit concerned about mentioning them since I wasn't sure how they would come off sounding. I definitely have other reasons to prefer this school over others. Thank you for your response!