I'll tell you what sucks....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
..working in a pharmacy that serves long term care facilities. It's like mail order pharmacy that works with fax machines rather than the post office. I actually spent 10.5 hours today in an aisle (the hydroxyzine-Lipitor 40 aisle) doing nothing but counting out a 30 day supply of meds for a bazillion people in old folk homes.....no human contact. This pharmacy services damn near every home in the state and certainly every one in N. WV. You have no idea how much Synthroid is consumed by people until you witness what is essentially a cartfill for 2500 people with serious illnesses. I thought I was going to go crazy. And what's worse is that I'm not getting paid for it. One day and I'm burnt out. I came home and had a conversation with my cat for lords sake....

If this wasn't my last rotation, I would have far less morale than I have right now....which isn't much...
 
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone described this wonderful job experience in LTC - aminoglycoside monitoring (????), etc.. I had a hard time picturing that environment, since I've not known anyone who works in that field who does that work.

My experience is more like yours - just filling with very few other activities.

Monthly there are chart reviews - perhaps you'll do that for a bit. That holds a bit more interest, but again....its the same over & over. You'll be glad for that new admission that has a new chart to look at.

The ONLY really interesting part to that job, IMO, is the monthly family/pt multidisciplenary meetings. Thats when you hear how these drugs are affecting the pt or family. But, few pharmacists get the opportunity to do this. Most of them check, check, check......

Buck up! December will be here soon!!
 
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone described this wonderful job experience in LTC - aminoglycoside monitoring (????), etc.. I had a hard time picturing that environment, since I've not known anyone who works in that field who does that work.

My experience is more like yours - just filling with very few other activities.

Monthly there are chart reviews - perhaps you'll do that for a bit. That holds a bit more interest, but again....its the same over & over. You'll be glad for that new admission that has a new chart to look at.

The ONLY really interesting part to that job, IMO, is the monthly family/pt multidisciplenary meetings. Thats when you hear how these drugs are affecting the pt or family. But, few pharmacists get the opportunity to do this. Most of them check, check, check......

Buck up! December will be here soon!!

11.16.07. First full day of freedom.