Illegal Rec Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cogitate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What is the timeline for submitting recommendation letters relative to the rest of the application? I know DO schools don't require letters until after you are invited to an interview. Is it like this for MD schools? Is it illegal otherwise?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You could go to jail. Be careful.

Reactions: 17 users
Illegal letters of recommendation: even the professor gets into trouble.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the click-bait title. I just need some answers ASAP!!

what.

Reactions: 2 users
Many MD schools (i.e. the majority) will not consider your application complete unless you have your letters in and will therefore not review your application. Ergo, get them in ASAP!

Reactions: 1 user
You're walking back from o-chem lab when a shady guy in a trenchcoat beckons to you from behind the Dumpster.

"Hey, pal. You looking for a hot letter of recommendation?"

He opens his trenchcoat to reveal a series of letters on university letterhead, all signed by your professors.

"These babies are positively glowing with praise. Science, non-science, volunteer, even that weird "biology chemistry physics humanities" system Jefferson wants, I got the hookup, homie!"

Reactions: 21 users
But don't DO school not consider rec letters until after the invitation is sent for an interview?

But don't DO school not consider rec letters until after the invitation is sent for an interview?

I am not sure. When in doubt with anything admissions related, call in the big dogs. @Goro

Reactions: 1 users
No most Do schools need them to complete your application

I'm not scared of Goro

That's outside my scope. When I see an app, the LORs are all attached. the general rule of thumb other Adcom members are telling us is that you app is not complete until the LORs are in.

Goro, are you talking about giving an interview or giving an actual acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm telling you, as a previous applicant, most, if not all, DO schools will not mark your application complete without all LORs, INCLUDING the DO letter (there are some school exceptions) but let's just say overall you need all letters- and that's to get a secondary or interview usually (It's school specific)

The great Goro said this was out of his scope- he evaluates who he is given, he is not on that side of admissions

As a previous MD applicant I can tell you that none of the schools I applied to considered me complete until my LORs were in. It was incredibly frustrating given that I was using a committee letter that was not submitted until the very end of August.

Reactions: 1 users
WOW! Applicant submits something illegal, you'll never guess what happens next! Avoid this using this weird old trick!
What kind of letter of recommendation are you

9 ways to get a good letter of recommendation

sorry, i go on buzzfeed too much

I interviewed at LECOM without a DO letter and they said they wouldn't consider my application until I got that letter in. So yes, I can say at least one DO school I know does that.

Goro, are you talking about giving an interview or giving an actual acceptance?
The best advice that can be given here is straightforward- if you're planning on applying DO, start seeking out a DO to shadow and get your letter ASAP and then all these other questions will be irrelevant because you will have all the letters you need to apply, interview, and possibly be accepted.

How long do I need to shadow a DO?

I interviewed at LECOM without a DO letter and they said they wouldn't consider my application until I got that letter in. So yes, I can say at least one DO school I know does that.

They stopped requiring a DO letter this year!

I'm telling you, as a previous applicant, most, if not all, DO schools will not mark your application complete without all LORs, INCLUDING the DO letter (there are some school exceptions) but let's just say overall you need all letters- and that's to get a secondary or interview usually (It's school specific)

The great Goro said this was out of his scope- he evaluates who he is given, he is not on that side of admissions

There are DO schools that won't send you a secondary if you don't have your recommendations in? How does that even work? What if you are not using AACOMAS letter service and you are planning to send them directly to the school via interfolio? Do you then send them before you even get the secondary?

You're walking back from o-chem lab when a shady guy in a trenchcoat beckons to you from behind the Dumpster.

"Hey, pal. You looking for a hot letter of recommendation?"

He opens his trenchcoat to reveal a series of letters on university letterhead, all signed by your professors.

"These babies are positively glowing with praise. Science, non-science, volunteer, even that weird "biology chemistry physics humanities" system Jefferson wants, I got the hookup, homie!"

:clap:

@texasdevil "Goro would know, we don't."

@Cogitate "Him!? I don't give a...."

@Goro "Need help?"

@Cogitate "Uh.. Yeah! I was just saying how awesome it would be to get experienced help from someone like Goro!!"

@Goro "Right..."

I thought secondary apps were sent out automatically based on MCAT and GPA...?

I thought secondary apps were sent out automatically based on MCAT and GPA...?
That isn't true for all MD schools at least. Schools like Mayo are known to pre-screen applicants so you won't receive a secondary (fee in this case) automatically. If Goro says that some schools need your LORs in before a secondary is sent out, I think you should prepare accordingly.

Sorry for the click-bait title. I just need some answers ASAP!!
I sent in my rec letter. What happened next blew the ADCOM's MIND!!!

Did you get arrested?

Learn this one simple rule to get the perfect LOR and directly into med school...Admins hate him!!!