Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I have a concern that I'm hoping to get some advice on...
I have worked at a small animal practice for almost 6 years. I was originally hired to work in the kennel for boarding animals but I also help out in the hospital, and am in charge of the weekend schedule. I was also elected to be the "head" kennel person if you will...if any Dr. or tech have any problems with someone/something they come to me and I have to deal with it/solve/fix it.
In Ohio, it is illegal for anyone who is not a DVM or tech to draw blood (and many of the other clinical skills that DVM's and tech's perform), therefore my "veterinary experience" will not contain these things. Besides my kennel duties, I do help out in the hospital. I help restrain during appointments/x-rays/etc, sometimes go into the exam rooms if we're short on techs to talk to the clients, feed/help give meds to sick, count pills, help prep/observe with surgery, help the DVM's/techs if they need anything wether it's a towel an e-collar, an extra set of hands, etc....and in return they teach me a lot!!
While in South Africa last summer, I volunteered with an organization that takes in baboons. 😀 When several of the baboons became sick 2 of the pre-vet volunteers from the States attempted to draw blood on the baboons and told me that the states that they lived in they were able to be techs without having gone to a tech program or taking a licensing test.
I know that when I apply to my IS school, they obviously will be understanding, since it is illegal for anyone in Ohio to act as a tech without a license. But how am I supposed to compete with all of these "techs" from different states who have more vet "experience" and have been a tech when I apply to OOS schools? How do I explain this "problem" in my VCMAS...would it go in the explaination part?
I have worked at a small animal practice for almost 6 years. I was originally hired to work in the kennel for boarding animals but I also help out in the hospital, and am in charge of the weekend schedule. I was also elected to be the "head" kennel person if you will...if any Dr. or tech have any problems with someone/something they come to me and I have to deal with it/solve/fix it.
In Ohio, it is illegal for anyone who is not a DVM or tech to draw blood (and many of the other clinical skills that DVM's and tech's perform), therefore my "veterinary experience" will not contain these things. Besides my kennel duties, I do help out in the hospital. I help restrain during appointments/x-rays/etc, sometimes go into the exam rooms if we're short on techs to talk to the clients, feed/help give meds to sick, count pills, help prep/observe with surgery, help the DVM's/techs if they need anything wether it's a towel an e-collar, an extra set of hands, etc....and in return they teach me a lot!!
While in South Africa last summer, I volunteered with an organization that takes in baboons. 😀 When several of the baboons became sick 2 of the pre-vet volunteers from the States attempted to draw blood on the baboons and told me that the states that they lived in they were able to be techs without having gone to a tech program or taking a licensing test.
I know that when I apply to my IS school, they obviously will be understanding, since it is illegal for anyone in Ohio to act as a tech without a license. But how am I supposed to compete with all of these "techs" from different states who have more vet "experience" and have been a tech when I apply to OOS schools? How do I explain this "problem" in my VCMAS...would it go in the explaination part?
Ok done sucking up now!
