Illinois Accepted Applicants -- Where are you headed for school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumbleServant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Chicago, IL, and I'm curious to know where all the Illinois applicants are headed to med school this fall! Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to Northwestern. In fact, I'll be flying in soon for the second look weekend (I go to school in California). I'm also from Chicago. What part of the city are you from?

Edit: oops, I can see now that your from Downer's Grove! doh!

[This message has been edited by focker (edited April 22, 2001).]

This question is for anyone who is familiar with UIC? What happens as accepted students who were assigned to chicago reject acceptances, do they give site preference to previous accepted applicants who had indicated chicago as their first choice but received the urbana site assignment.

Members don't see this ad :)
just bumping this topic up so I can get response to my question.

Originally posted by Dr.No:
•This question is for anyone who is familiar with UIC? What happens as accepted students who were assigned to chicago reject acceptances, do they give site preference to previous accepted applicants who had indicated chicago as their first choice but received the urbana site assignment.•

As I understand it, no. I spoke with the admissions office on Monday, and if I understood correctly, your site assignment does not change once it is given to you. There is no "waiting list" per se for Urbana/Rockford/Peoria acceptances to get into the Chicago campus; you have to write a formal request outlining why you want to go to Chicago (as if it isn't obvious...). If and when spots come open in Chicago, your request will be considered. You should probably call them yourself to make sure I have this right. I'm also an Urbana assignee who will be going to another school for sure if I don't get into the Chicago campus! Let us know what you find out. Best of luck!

It might not matter but the cost of living in Chicago is more than double what it is in Urbana. And Chicago is only 1 1/2 - 2 hours away.

Hey drfermin,

Please bail on urbana and go to that other school...I'll happily take your spot! :)

You guys are crazy. From what I hear, Urbana students have it the best. There is basically no competition in Urbana as compared with Chicago. Everyone wants to go to Chicago but it is much more relaxed and easy in Urbana. I too, was a pro Chicago person until I spoke with some well versed M2s and M3s. It's realtively easier to get into honors organizations, etc in Urbana. If you have a seat there, take it.

Don't know much about Peoria.

Originally posted by imtiaz:
•You guys are crazy. From what I hear, Urbana students have it the best.•

OK, but I don't think my wife would have it the best in Urbana! That's my main reason for wanting to stay in the city--her career opportunities and so forth. I am going to make a push to see if I can get into Chicago, but if not, my other choice school is also in a good-sized city and near where I grew up too. I do have a feeling that I will be opening up a spot somewhere in the U of I system soon, though.

Well, at least you've got options.

Just curious but do any of you know how many come off of the UIC waitlist? I've heard all sorts of different things from people. I would assume that they take a healthy number off of the wait-list since they are such a large school.

Asteras1:

I think UIC will take a fair share off their waitlists, but not really for the Chicago campus. Chicago has so many GPPA students taking up spots, plus those assigned to UPR designating special/legit reasons why they need to be reassigned Chicago. So I think most waitlisted students don't have a chance of getting the Chicago campus, but if you don't mind UPR, then I think there's a fair shot. I might be giving up my Chicago spot in the next few weeks-we'll see how waitlists and final decisions pan out for me.

good luck,
poohbear

Originally posted by poohbear:
•I think UIC will take a fair share off their waitlists, but not really for the Chicago campus. Chicago has so many GPPA students taking up spots...•

Did they only start the GPPA recently? I had a few of my friends get into the Chicago campus 2-3 years ago in June, and they didn't even interview until April-May. And they got it on the first try, without having to petition for a change.

I believe GPPA started in Fall of 1996, so their first med school class was in either 1999 or 2000, depending on whether they did undergrad in 3 or 4 years. That would explain why 3 years ago your friend could still get Chicago--GPPA takes up 60 seats in Chicago each year now.

best,
poohbear

Originally posted by drfermin:
•Did they only start the GPPA recently? I had a few of my friends get into the Chicago campus 2-3 years ago in June, and they didn't even interview until April-May. And they got it on the first try, without having to petition for a change.•

No, the GPPA program started around 1996. There are many students involved in the GPPA program, but it does not necessarily mean that they will receive a spot in Chicago.