Illinois Pharmacy Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jballer91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my first year of undergrad.
So as of August, when I started college, I was aware of 4 pharmacy schools in Illinois (UIC, MWU, SIU, CSU). And now in Nov., I have learned of two more schools opening up...Rosalind Franklin and Roosevelt.

Being a SDN reader, I was aware of people's fear of pharmacy saturation. When deciding on pre-pharm I just thought to myself, no one knows for sure what will happen in six years so if I get a job it doesn't matter. But now with a total of 6 pharmacy schools in Illinois, these fears have been re-kindled for me. And I personally like ILL and don't want to move to Wyoming just to get a job.

One question I had right away, and others have asked, why are CSU and Roosevelt opening pharmacy schools?? These are schools that are not known for science/healthcare at all and aren't even top-15 undergraduate schools in illinois IMO. As others have said in the RFU thread, RFU seems to be the best "fit" for a pharmacy school but at this point a sixth pharm school doesn't seem necessary.

But of course my biggest fear, as I'm sure is for others, is being employed after graduation. One of the reasons I decided to pursue a healthcare job, specifically pharmacy, was some sense of job security as compared to other professions. Well there goes that :scared:.

But one point I was wondering about was that these new schools say they are admitting about 70 students. So that's about 210 students total for the three new schools which is what MWU (and I think UIC) has in one class. I know this may sound dumb but in a sense it's like 1 'big' pharmacy school that is opening up and if that were the case there wouldn't be as many people freaking out. <------ Wondering what people think about this.

But nonetheless, I am "freaking" out and thinking if pre-med is a better option in the long-run:confused: And another problem is that most pre-pharms, I'm assuming, are excited about more pharmacy schools because that means higher chances of admission. But I'm more of a long-term guy and worried what will happen after graduation.

So I guess this thread is just a long rant by me but I guess I'd like to hear people's opinions and any calming facts/advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
But one point I was wondering about was that these new schools say they are admitting about 70 students. So that's about 210 students total for the three new schools which is what MWU (and I think UIC) has in one class. I know this may sound dumb but in a sense it's like 1 'big' pharmacy school that is opening up and if that were the case there wouldn't be as many people freaking out. <------ Wondering what people think about this.
I totally understand what you're saying here and I agree, it makes people feel a little bit better to think of it that way I guess.

And another problem is that most pre-pharms, I'm assuming, are excited about more pharmacy schools because that means higher chances of admission.

I agree with this as well, and personally, I think it's a shame that people want the easy way in. I think that everyone who wants to pursue a career, should work really hard to get there instead of taking the easiest route possible. Unfortunately though, I know many people who are exactly like this, not only in pharmacy, but every other career choice too.