Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragonsimot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this pay for Public Med school by chance? Im asking her because...

A) Google didn't turn anything up relavent
B) I search the forums here ... nothing
C) Current Illinois Med students may know about this thru the grapevine or through experience

D) I don't want an PreMed answering the question...

* Not wanting anyone to do the leg work, I'm asking if anyone off the top of their heads knows this by chance. I've email the program about this but waiting for a reply.

(IVG is a 4 year grant... free schooling, I just foot the living expenses for those not from IL and a Vet, the program says "undergraduate or graduate for 4 years"...)

Members don't see this ad.

hmm.. I am in IL, and a vet, let me know what you find out, I have never heard of such a thing!

Yeah just check out http://www.collegezone.com Then the College or Advanced Degree links...then the Military service one after that.

The top one on each page is ISAC's IVG... I'm just starting undergrad, but I sure dont want to use the grant if i can just pay for undergrad then let IL foot the medical education... with no strings attached you know.

Your recruiter should have told you this, mine did but i thought I was a lifer when I joined and I didn't give two cents about it. Times change after some experience and now looking to Doctor as my new goal.

So if anyone else knows about the IVG covering Med School let us know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've talked to UIC. It does; they have students using it.

Sweeeeet, Thanks for that Nata. No the question is to gamble or not to gamble... as in Pay for undergrad to the bank on the fact of getting into UIC, SIU SOM, or anything public in IL. Sounds like a perfect thing to do if you want scott free schooling.

Wow, now I have to decide to use it or not for undergrad, what do you guys think? I pay for undergrad, use it for Med School (hopefully), if that doesnt work then I would just use it for an MBA or whatever.

Thanks for any insight.

That's a tough decision. I was trying to see if there was any time stipulation on the IVG. I couldn't find one. I know the MGIB does have a limit. Also, consider the time you have in service. Are you considering HPSP or USUHS? You could really come out ahead if you did use the IVG for med school vice undergrad, but there's always the possibility that you'll end up at a different med school or choose another career path entirely. You may want to consider paying the first year of undergrad out of pocket (I would go for public state school) and then continue to evaluate where you are at and if your goals are the same. Also, you can call the number on the IVG website and discuss the situation with them. They are very helpful.

Good point, I cant find a stipulation either. I would use the GI BIll for undergrad then just use a student loan for Med school to cover living expenses...

Now I need to call them and talk over the time frame etc with them. I wonder if I really want to limit my med school choice to just Public IL schools? But with the free of 150K debt im sure i wouldn't have a problem :)

Nata, Are you in the same situation as me? veteran attending school? where you at and how far along?

Im going to attend IL St U or SIU ....more likely ISU. As for Military Med school, absolutely not...I wouldn't ever go back into service period, they promise alot but reality is your a number and just pushed along the pipelines. They don't care about their people at the workplace, but over all they do, ie Benefits but listening to _you_ they are horrible and could care less. But it is the military and that is the only why things could work really ... just not what I can work in again. (I was a SEAL, and I feel that way...can't imagine someone else's shoes)

I understand your point on the military. I'm in the Navy right now, and have been in 9 years. Overall, I've been happy in the Navy. I know everyone has different experiences, though. My home of record is IL, and I'm IVG eligible. I made one mistake though. I got married and changed my residency to FL. I can use the IVG for in state portion of tuition, but then would end up out of pocket for the other about 25,000 at UIC. It took a lot of phone calls for me to find that out. Complicated situation...

I'll be up north for med school, in the fine state of WI. More family support for me there, and I have 2 kids, which makes that essential.

Good luck to you, and thank you for your service as a SEAL. Sincerely, I have a tremondous amount of respect for the work you guys do.

I am currently using the IVG for med school at UIC - and there is no time limit. Did you complete any classes while you were on active duty? I would save the IVG and look for a university job that has a tuition waiver attached to it. When you are interviewing at UIC and SIU for med school, all they will want to talk to you about is your military experience (especially since you were a freaking Navy SEAL) - thats all they really asked me about. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Does anyone have any recent experience using the IVG for Medical School. Thanks