Illinois vs Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzaandpuppies

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Im so grateful that I can post on this thread, but I have been seriously wrecking my brain about this decision. I am instate at Illinois and it is a wonderful school and only 2 hours away from my family. However, it just didn't feel like a great fit for me, its hard to explain but I got super off vibes from my interview and I just wasn't super excited about what they explained about the program. (except that its pretty cool you start clinical skills early) This could just be all in my head and not be something I should make a choice on, I just don't know if it is justified at all.
I had a completely different feel when I interviewed at KSU, I fell in love with the campus and everything felt so right. It matched everything I wanted and I felt like I was already part of the fam. I even teared up during the 'pizza party' informational meeting because I loved the program so much. I am between wanting to do a large animal-mixed general/emergency practice and Equine emergency/surgery for my career. If i do the mixed general KSU has the rural vet program which after loan forgiveness would make my debt the exact same as if I went to Illinois. However, I don't know if I would get in (its competitive) and if I like Kansas enough to live there 4 years post-grad. I just haven't spent enough time in that state to make a commitment quite yet. I also don't know if I could specialize if I did this program.
Overall, I can't tell if I just fell for KSU marketing strategies and thats why I loved it so much and if it would be worth potential out of state tuition. I struggle with this decision so much because there is a lot on the line and I just don't know where my head will be at in 4 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I got into Kansas State and another school that was much cheaper and had the same interview/visit experience. I fell in love with Kansas but not the OOS tuition. I do agree finances are a very important aspect of choosing a vet school but you also want to go to a school you’re excited about and think you can thrive at. I think you should talk to the schools and see if they can get you in contact with any current students and ask them for a honest review. Make a pros and cons list as far as cost of living, tuition, the area you’re living in, weather, cost of travel, etc.... I personally was willing to pay for OOS at Kansas but I also had a little money saved up previously to help. I did not end up choosing Kansas though as I got into a much cheaper school I equally loved. Good luck with the decision, I know it’s a difficult one.

Hey @pizzaandpuppies! I am a current Illinois third year (OOS from Colorado), but Kansas State was my number one out of state choice for a long time. K-State was the only other school that interviewed me and I was wait listed three cycles in a row. So I feel you on the K-State love! So I'll comment on a couple of your points.

If i do the mixed general KSU has the rural vet program which after loan forgiveness would make my debt the exact same as if I went to Illinois. However, I don't know if I would get in (its competitive) and if I like Kansas enough to live there 4 years post-grad. I just haven't spent enough time in that state to make a commitment quite yet.

No matter where you go to vet school, *do not* bank on getting any forgiveness programs. They are extremely fickle programs that are difficult to get into and are at the whims at the legislature of the state or federal governments including them into the budget. If this was a guarantee, this would be a totally different discussion. But, unfortunately, you need to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. You will be competing with other like minded students that are in-state and have strong ties to these communities. From that perspective, you have an uphill battle on securing this program for yourself. Do you know what the application process entails?

fell for KSU marketing strategies

This. I fell for it at K-State. I'm drinking the kool-aid for Illinois. I did for my undergrad. But, in all reality, none of these universities/programs are any better for the end result, a DVM, than any other. Every school has the main purpose of 1) educating future veterinarians and 2) being able to afford to educate future veterinarians. It is in the best interest of *every single school* to market themselves to convince you to go there. So keep in mind how strong the kool-aid was and keep a realistic perspective of that kool-aid.

worth potential out of state tuition.

As much as I loved K-State, and currently love Illinois, I would have gone to CSU in a heartbeat. It has nothing to do with the program. I've always had the perspective of a DVM is a DVM, no matter what school's name is printed on the degree. You have people in every facet of vet med from every school. No program is worth an additional 100k for the same product. At that point, it's not a "follow your heart" decision. Would you spend 100k extra on any other product when the cheaper product is just as effective?

If you were a Kansas resident with the same exact concerns in reverse, I would still be telling you to go to the cheaper school.

Reactions: 2 users