Illinois vs OSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diqsmt

The Ohio State  c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the lab animal field and I know Ohio State has a stronger lab animal medicine than Illinois.

When the cost of attendance for both schools is the same, which one should I attend?

Is there any other decision factor besides the cost?

Members don't see this ad.

@Elkhart has this nifty google doc that might help you.

If tuition cost is similar with tOSU's scholarship, I'd look at things like location, school teaching methods & curriculum schedule, class size, how far you'd have to move, COL in each area, and faculty that work in your interest areas (i.e. potential mentors). I also read school websites like a crazy person when deciding the best fit for me (student life & involvement, faculty research, specialties, current news clips, facilities, counseling, etc.). Almost every school will have similar club opportunities, but there may be something unique that stands out to you. :)
Congrats on your acceptances! You're going to be a vet! :claps:

Members don't see this ad :)
@Elkhart has this nifty google doc that might help you.

If tuition cost is similar with tOSU's scholarship, I'd look at things like location, school teaching methods & curriculum schedule, class size, how far you'd have to move, COL in each area, and faculty that work in your interest areas (i.e. potential mentors). I also read school websites like a crazy person when deciding the best fit for me (student life & involvement, faculty research, specialties, current news clips, facilities, counseling, etc.). Almost every school will have similar club opportunities, but there may be something unique that stands out to you. :)
Congrats on your acceptances! You're going to be a vet! :claps:

Thanks! I definitely looked this document and it helped me a lot.
I am assuming the CoL are the same as long as I find the right place with one or two roommates.

Pros/cons that I think of these two schools are:

Pros of Illinois
- close to my family (only 2 hours driveway)
- smaller class size (130)
- hands on experience in first two years (I don't believe this is too beneficial to be honest)
- ASLAP summer fellowship program
- two lab animal electives and lab animal clinical rotation
- I know many people who graduated there (it shouldn't matter but somehow I feel better because many people give me advice about the location or curriculum)

Cons of Illinois
- mega exams (hard to boost my gpa)
- not too active Lab animal club
- expensive parking pass and far parking lot (first two years)

Pros of Ohio
- strong lab animal medicine (having own residency programs and having medical schools with lots of animal research)
- semester base
- ASLAP summer fellowship program
- modern style new buildings
-Lots of options for active clubs because of bigger class size
- BUCKEYES (I love their sport team)

Cons of Ohio
- bigger class size (160) and I am not sure if I will get enough helps by professors or faculties.
- far from my family (6 hours drive)
- Never lived in different state than Illinois so very nervous

I bet there are so many more pros and cons but I thought these were big ones for me. If I am wrong in anything, anyone feel free to correct me!

Reactions: 1 user
FYI the parking isn’t that far for the beginning until you make it into the big lot. There are definitely schools where it is MUCH further. And if you get here a bit earlier, you can park closer.

I meant compare to OSU.
All the way back at F-30 was far...

I am assuming the CoL are the same as long as I find the right place with one or two roommates.
Definitely look into housing at both places. It’s not necessarily the same price regardless of the school.

You also need to factor in the cost of travel back home for breaks. Living 6 hours away you also will not be able to get home as often as you would living 2 hours away. 2 hours is very doable on a weekend, 6 hours isn’t as easy since you’re spending 12 of your 48 hours driving.

I meant compare to OSU.
All the way back at F-30 was far...
There’s also Hazelwood and the little F32 lot across from F27. If you get F-30 and you’re there earlier than 10 minutes before class, you’ll be able to park very close to the school and not at the far end of Lincoln.

Last edited:
There’s also Hazelwood and the little F22 lot across from F27. If you get F-30 and you’re there earlier than 10 minutes before class, you’ll be able to park very close to the school and not at the far end of Lincoln.

Thank you for telling me!
How likely can I get F-27 parking lot in my 1st or 2nd year?

Thank you for telling me!
How likely can I get F-27 parking lot in my 1st or 2nd year?
F27 is a potential for 2nd year (I got in there this year) but you do have to get yourself on the waitlist very early (I got on end of May before my 1st year). F32 is much more possible for 1st years. It’s the little lot straight across the entrance of the big lot

With the COA possibly being similar, I would say OSU. There are several lab animal peeps in my class that have been pretty successful, but they've done it with mostly their own gumption from what I understand. Our early clinicals wont be a huge advantage. However, we do have space in our 4th year rotations to do 12-14 weeks of lab animal specific stuff.

With the COA possibly being similar, I would say OSU. There are several lab animal peeps in my class that have been pretty successful, but they've done it with mostly their own gumption from what I understand. Our early clinicals wont be a huge advantage. However, we do have space in our 4th year rotations to do 12-14 weeks of lab animal specific stuff.

Thank you. This helped a lot!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. This helped a lot!

As a heads up, one of the peeps in 2020 did get a lab animal residency at the U of Chicago! Probably not a huge influence in your choices, but wanted to let you know :)