I'm 21 and just starting... Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dili

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. :)
I'm 21, I moved from colombia a year ago to live in Florida with my husband, and as soon as I got here I enrolled in school and so far I have loved everything but lately I've getting scared about all the things I have to get done before I even finish my bachelor's degree. I really don't know where to start. The only thing I have done so far is pick a major (molecular biology) pick the school and try to find a mentor but it's been impossible. I just want to be a doctor!!!

Can you guys suggest me where to find information or someone to guide me, because at school they just give me papers and more papers to read but they really don't have the information I'm looking for.:confused:

Thank you
Dili

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody. :)
I'm 21, I moved from colombia a year ago to live in Florida with my husband, and as soon as I got here I enrolled in school and so far I have loved everything but lately I've getting scared about all the things I have to get done before I even finish my bachelor's degree. I really don't know where to start. The only thing I have done so far is pick a major (molecular biology) pick the school and try to find a mentor but it's been impossible. I just want to be a doctor!!!

Can you guys suggest me where to find information or someone to guide me, because at school they just give me papers and more papers to read :confused:

Thank you
Dili
Can you tell us what you're looking for? I don't know what your question is. (But the answer is probably "get A's no matter what, and start volunteering immediately in a hospital or clinic.")

I recommend a book by Iserson, "Get into Medical School" which explains everything from scratch.

Best of luck to you.

I really don't know where to start. The only thing I have done so far is pick a major (molecular biology) pick the school and try to find a mentor but it's been impossible. I just want to be a doctor!!!

:welcome: OP, many people change their major during undergrad and also reevaluate what career to pursue. Undergrad is a time to consider the wide range of opportunities out there. My advice to you would be to keep you options open even though you wish to pursue an MD. You will realize, early on, that ton of your peers will say 'im premed', then come time to take the MCAT, will change career plans... The search button on the top right hand side of SDN is a great way to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely understand where you are coming from! I'm 25 and I'm just getting started as well. Everything seems overwhelming, between the pre-reqs and the MCAT and applying and interviewing... its so much!!!

The best advice I can give you is research things yourself. When I went through nursing school, I found that finding things out for yourself (about anything) is better than having someone tell you. It'd be nice to have someone to kind of hold your hand through the process, but its not always possible.

First, are you going to a CC or an University? CC's usually won't have much information. Thats where I am right now. I'm meeting with a counselor there to discuss transferring, but I'm really not expecting much out of them when it comes to the pre-med area. If you're at a university, they usually have pre-med advisors. I'd try to get into contact with one of those.

Second, take things one semester at a time. It seems like such a daunting task when you look at it as a whole, but it'll seem doable if you take it one semester at a time. I made a plan, and looking at everything broken down has helped me realize that I can do this. Maybe thats something you can do.

Third, get some clinical experience. Volunteer at a hospital, shadow a physician, you can even become an EMT or CNA and get paid experience. From what I've learned from trolling these boards is that clinical experience is great to have when applying.

Thats all I really have for you. Keep researching for yourself! Find an advisor! You'll be fine :)

I think everybody agrees volunteering and getting A's is the most important thing and taking it one semester at the time. It sounds doable so Thankssssssss:)