I'm a nurse.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZhiker93

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To keep it short and sweet...

By the time I apply to schools I will have been a BSN, RN in the emergency department for about 3 years. I still have to take the MCAT, but my GPA is solid (3.9).

After reading a few threads here and there, i'm questioning if my experience as a nurse will actually hurt my chances of being accepted.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How will you answer the "why not stick to nursing" and "why not be a nurse practitioner or CRNA" questions?

Well, my honest answer is that I do enjoy nursing and have a passion for helping people. I have a wife and two children and by the time I realized that I wanted to redirect myself, I had already been accepted into my nursing program. To put it simply, my wife stays at home and I needed to finish what I had already started because I needed to provide for my family.

In regards to NP or CRNA:

As a nurse, I respect both of these professional roles; however, the thinking platform of medicine makes more sense to me. The training between a NP and MD/DO are nowhere near the same and if I am going to fill a provider role, I want to ensure that I am treating from the highest level of understanding possible. Lastly, I honestly feel that medicine is my true calling. Nursing is an outstanding profession and has many opportunities, but I know it is not my forever home.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the same way before applying and now I'm kinda wondering how in the world I could think that my experience as a nurse could hurt my chances. If you have the right numbers and can articulate answers to the typical questions without sounding arrogant or like you're running away from nursing, you'll do just fine. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure to have a decent extra curricular profile like all of the traditional applicants. I thought since I was working in healthcare for over 5 years (rad tech) and had the stats that I would be fine. I even had docs tell me as much. Wrong. While I personally think it's cool that some folks come from healthcare backgrounds, adcoms are literally thinking "big whoop". Doesn't matter that the day before your interview you worked a 12 hour shift alongside a doctor. They still want you to come in and shadow for no reason. They still want you to be captain of the chemistry club or whatever. They don't care that you had a real job with real important responsibilities in medicine. Nursing won't give you the edge you may think it will (it should, but it won't).

Also, I've known quite a few nurses who think they can kind of just show up to the MCAT and crush it. Not necessarily saying that's you, but I've seen it a lot. There was some study that showed that the lowest scorers were people who came from vocational backgrounds, with most in that category being nurses.

Reactions: 3 users
It depends how you present yourself.

I'm a former emergency RN myself, now an M1. As volunteer essay reader last year, I read quite a few by people in various healthcare fields, including nursing. I noticed that many people, sometimes unintentionally, sound hypercritical or negative about what they've experienced so far in healthcare. Spinning stories about doctor mistakes, talking about how you saw a doctor handle a situation and just knew you could do it better if you were a doctor, talking about the flaws you see in practice and how you just know you wouldn't treat a patient that way...etc etc you know what I mean. My examples are glaring to drive home a point, but you'd be surprised how this can come out subtly in choice of language and essay framing.

Same goes for ECs. Descriptions of your work that makes it sound like you're unteachable will sink you. Also a problem that a lot of people have and again, it can come out in subtle ways (even if you don't mean to sound that way). Same goes for interviews. The experience of working in healthcare is valuable. In my interviews I was asked often to talk about my time as a nurse and what I've learned from it, and I could tell by the way some questions were phrased that they were gauging exactly what I mentioned above -- trying to figure out if I was teachable. Did I think I was a know-it-all already or was I someone who would incorporate past experience into learning. What exactly did I see as the differences between nursing and medicine and why did I decide to pursue the latter over the former.

I got the impression that most of my interviewers felt that the RN experience was an overall positive thing. But as the above poster has mentioned, be a well-rounded person. Don't make the entire application around you as a nurse, as you are far more than your job. While I was asked about it frequently, nursing wasn't even the main focus in many of my interviews. Though it's an important part of you, they want to see a whole person who has other interests and strengths besides what comes from one job.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 5 users

I'm a former emergency RN myself, now an M1. As volunteer essay reader last year, I read quite a few by people in various healthcare fields, including nursing. I noticed that many people, sometimes unintentionally, sound hypercritical or negative about what they've experienced so far in healthcare. Spinning stories about doctor mistakes, talking about how you saw a doctor handle a situation and just knew you could do it better if you were a doctor, talking about the flaws you see in practice and how you just know you wouldn't treat a patient that way...etc etc you know what I mean. My examples are glaring to drive home a point, but you'd be surprised how this can come out subtly in choice of language and essay framing.

Same goes for ECs. Descriptions of your work that makes it sound like you're unteachable will sink you. Also a problem that a lot of people have and again, it can come out in subtle ways (even if you don't mean to sound that way). Same goes for interviews. The experience of working in healthcare is valuable. In my interviews I was asked often to talk about my time as a nurse and what I've learned from it, and I could tell by the way some questions were phrased that they were gauging exactly what I mentioned above -- trying to figure out if I was teachable. Did I think I was a know-it-all already or was I someone who would incorporate past experience into learning. What exactly did I see as the differences between nursing and medicine and why did I decide to pursue the latter over the former.

I got the impression that most of my interviewers felt that the RN experience was an overall positive thing. But as the above poster has mentioned, be a well-rounded person. Don't make the entire application around you as a nurse, as you are far more than your job. While I was asked about it frequently, nursing wasn't even the main focus in many of my interviews. Though it's an important part of you, they want to see a whole person who has other interests and strengths besides what comes from one job.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for that explanation. One thing about healthcare that I have always believed to be true, no matter what your position is, there is far more unknown than known. If you're bored, it is your own fault because there is always something to learn. I definitely don't feel negative about my nursing experience. As time has passed, my goals and interests have shifted.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of good info in this thread already, but I'll add that as a nurse, you should know the culture of a hospital better than anyone. You know how things run and you're an important piece of it all. It is a not a negative thing unless you somehow present it that way. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nursing science courses aren't counted towards BCPM.

Best of luck to you.

I just wanted to say that this is a great post. I have many years of healthcare experience, including providing primary care to my shipmates with little supervision from a physician. It is SUPER important that I don't sound like I already know it all and just need the initials after my name. I know that the knowledge gap is huge, but as you said, answering those questions with the wrong phrasing can be killer.

I have a similar background as you (three years in Cardiac ICU as RN) and from my application experiences this cycle my nursing career and background has been a strength rather than a hindrance.
My interviewers have seemed incredibly intrigued by my clinical background and when posed with theoretical ethical questions or leadership situations I have been able to reflect and provide concrete examples from real life experiences.
I agree with the posters about being well rounded. Volunteering and my hobbies have also been areas that have seemed to be important to interviewers.
I have been accepted for the class of 2021 so it is totally possible to pursue your dream and achieve your goals. The application process is arduous temporally, mentally, and fiscally, so be prepared.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Just be honest and said you want to be top dog. Simple enough right?

To keep it short and sweet...

By the time I apply to schools I will have been a BSN, RN in the emergency department for about 3 years. I still have to take the MCAT, but my GPA is solid (3.9).

After reading a few threads here and there, i'm questioning if my experience as a nurse will actually hurt my chances of being accepted.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

your nursing degree will help you in so many ways on this journey. Please consider reading the little ebook by Adrian Aaron. Written by a nurse who became a physician, u will find out all kinds of helpful info regarding your situation. you are going to be so glad u became a nurse first!

your nursing degree will help you in so many ways on this journey. Please consider reading the little ebook by Adrian Aaron. Written by a nurse who became a physician, u will find out all kinds of helpful info regarding your situation. you are going to be so glad u became a nurse first!

Tried searching for this and couldn't find it... I'm interested

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Edit: never mind just found it

I have a similar background as you (three years in Cardiac ICU as RN) and from my application experiences this cycle my nursing career and background has been a strength rather than a hindrance.
My interviewers have seemed incredibly intrigued by my clinical background and when posed with theoretical ethical questions or leadership situations I have been able to reflect and provide concrete examples from real life experiences.
I agree with the posters about being well rounded. Volunteering and my hobbies have also been areas that have seemed to be important to interviewers.
I have been accepted for the class of 2021 so it is totally possible to pursue your dream and achieve your goals. The application process is arduous temporally, mentally, and fiscally, so be prepared.
Best of luck!

@bornunderatree - you should really post an MDAPPs recap or post about your RN to MD matriculant journey for those that don't know it.

Hi there,

Congrats on the strong work and deciding to take the leap to med school! I myself have a similar background to you but I worked on a different floor, and I'm currently wrapping up my M-3 year. To answer your questions, it's really hit or miss. For the medical school admission side of things, it helps for sure. Like someone said above, just be ready to answer, why medicine over nursing. As far as the residency process, it's proving to be more of a hindrance than it is a pro. Again, I'm talking from personal experience but I recently talked to a PD at my home program for a residency position that I'm pursuing and he personally wasn't too happy that I did nursing first. So its really hit or miss. Most will appreciate it but a select few may give you a hard time. Just be genuine about it and you'll be fine. Your background alone puts you in a great position because not many applicants can say that they've done what you've done. Best of luck!

Hi there,

Congrats on the strong work and deciding to take the leap to med school! I myself have a similar background to you but I worked on a different floor, and I'm currently wrapping up my M-3 year. To answer your questions, it's really hit or miss. For the medical school admission side of things, it helps for sure. Like someone said above, just be ready to answer, why medicine over nursing. As far as the residency process, it's proving to be more of a hindrance than it is a pro. Again, I'm talking from personal experience but I recently talked to a PD at my home program for a residency position that I'm pursuing and he personally wasn't too happy that I did nursing first. So its really hit or miss. Most will appreciate it but a select few may give you a hard time. Just be genuine about it and you'll be fine. Your background alone puts you in a great position because not many applicants can say that they've done what you've done. Best of luck!
Thanks for your insight. I have to say, it is very encouraging that there are so many nurses who have pursued medicine and been successful. Like I said, I respect nursing and I have a strong passion for helping people; however, my interests have changed over time. Nursing helped me realize my interest for medicine. I'm super excited about this journey and I don't discount the challenges ahead.