I'm a transfer student and I want to ask for LoR soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NVdisG

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a junior and just transferred schools this semester. So basically, I have a few months until I apply in the 2014 cycle. I was wondering if its a good idea to ask for LoR at the end of this semester? Is it true that I need 2 science LoR and 1 non-science? I am finally in a research lab so I can ask my PI and that takes care of 1 science LoR. The other 2 science classes that I am in are large lecture classes and I did not really get to know either professor very well. However, I am a very active participant in my language class and I think the lecturer is fond of me. Do you think it is okay to ask him for a LoR after only 1 semester (I am not sure if the next level of the language next semester will have him as the instructor or not)? And for my other science LoR, do you think its okay if I really go to office hours alot next semester for biochemistry and try to get to know the professor for a LoR at the end of spring '14?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just fyi, some schools require 4 LORs, just make sure you tailor your app to the schools you're looking at...

That said, you have a good plan. Go to office hours, amaze your PI and connect a little more with your language prof and you should be in good shape. (I transferred after my freshman year, you don't have as much of a rapport with the profs but it's still very doable)

Hello, I am a junior and just transferred schools this semester. So basically, I have a few months until I apply in the 2014 cycle. I was wondering if its a good idea to ask for LoR at the end of this semester? Is it true that I need 2 science LoR and 1 non-science? I am finally in a research lab so I can ask my PI and that takes care of 1 science LoR. The other 2 science classes that I am in are large lecture classes and I did not really get to know either professor very well. However, I am a very active participant in my language class and I think the lecturer is fond of me. Do you think it is okay to ask him for a LoR after only 1 semester (I am not sure if the next level of the language next semester will have him as the instructor or not)? And for my other science LoR, do you think its okay if I really go to office hours alot next semester for biochemistry and try to get to know the professor for a LoR at the end of spring '14?

Thank you!

Most schools will accept and usually prefer a committee letter from your undergrad (and when I say most I mean I have not come across any schools that do not, though there probably are exceptions). A committee letter will cover the letter of recommendation requirements, even if you just include one science and one non-science in it, or even other variations.