I'm About To Jump!!!!!

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by stookie, Nov 12, 2005.

1. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Now That I Got Your Attention:

After I Graduate, I Would Like To Take Advanced Bio Classes To Raise My Gpa. How Many Classes Do You Suggest That I Take? How Is Your Post Bacc Gpa Calculated With Your Undergrad Gpa? Would I Have To Take Classes Until My Undergrad Gpa And Post Bacc Gpa Are Calculated Together Works Out To A Better Gpa?

2. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would start with english 101.

3. redwings54

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stookie, guess I will chime in here too. The way your post bac GPA is calulated is similar to the way your undergrad GPA is. With AMCAS or AACOMAS, your GPA is differentiated into Freshman, Sophomore, Junion, Senior, Post Bac, and Graduate GPAs, as well as Science GPAs for each year. The schools see each year independently of the other, but also cumulatively meaning Freshman through Post Bac averaged together. Graduate GPAs are figured independently and do no ger factored into your overall GPA, just your graduate. In a post bac program, if you are taking classes at the undergraduate level, these classes get factored into your undergrad GPA. Therefore, if you want to increase your GPA as it stands now, then you will need to take undergraduate level classes. However, you can take graduate level classes to "prove" you can handle the work. You will then get a graduate GPA, and if its a 4.0 with a few classes then that speaks pretty highly.

As for the number of classes you need to take to increase your GPA, that depends on a few factors. How low is your science GPA? Some people has truly abissmal undergrad GPAs, but do a SMP to prove they can handle the coursework and get in that way. Some people take undergrad courses to get their undergrad GPA up so they can "pass" the standards some schools set and then do a masters or SMP to show they can shine. So it really depends on a few factors what you might need to do. You might want to talk with Junebuguf, singingdevil, phil_a, mshheaddoc or any of the mods to get some more advice. Some of these people have worked through low GPAs and are now in med school and are awesome people with a lot of knowledge anyway. Anything else I can help with, I will try. Oh, and you might want to check out the low GPA thread in this forum. Its filled with a lot of helpful info and a lot of success stories. Here is teh link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125347&page=1&pp=25

4. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What does BCPM stand for? If I were to add the GPA for all the science classes I took and average them out, i would know what my science GPA is? Do adcoms look at your science GPA first then you overall GPA?

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    BCPM is the cumulative average of your bio, chem, physics and math department courses - i.e. your science GPA. There is no "first" in med school apps - they look at all of it. So you need both a good science GPA and good cum GPA.

6. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hahahah, wow he capitialized the first letter of every word in his post. That must have taken a long time?

7. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NOT REALLY, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON AND TYPE. THE POST WILL FORMAT ITSELF LIKE THAT

8. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

DOES IT REALLY? DIDN'T WORK FOR YOU THIS TIME?

9. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    iF YOU LEAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON, THEN ALL THE LETTERS YOU WOULD TYPE NORMALLY WILL BE TYPED IN UPPERCASE. tHE LETTER YOU CAPITALIZE WILL BECOME LOWERCASE. sORRY, i THINK YOU SHOULD STILL START WITH ENGLISH 101.

10. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Who give a s**t about how I type? Find something better to do with your time than correcting my posts. Maybe you should get a doctorate in english instead of medicine