i'm accepted, BUT....help with deferring from a waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dorkus72

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... about 4 hours ago I got an e-mail from Drexel. I have been ACCEPTED off the waitlist. This is great b/c I am waitlisted at Emory and Drexel... with, sadly, no acceptances.

HOWEVER, I just can't pick up and leave so quickly. School starts August 1. You see, I have had a bit of a rough year- my mom, who has been ill for many years due to extensive complications from diabetes, was diagnosed with leukemia this year. She has gone thru chemo and has just been announced... IN REMISSION. She is one tough cookie. This is all great, but my parents are divorced and I play a major role in her care. I am simply not mentally ready to hop into school in one month from now, after such a trying and difficult year. I need some time to prepare.

So, any advice about crafting a letter asking for a deferral? Anyone done this before, at any school? What should I focus on in my explanation? Should I call the dean?

I really want to go to med school, I just need a bit of a break. I just know I will not be as successful as I can be if I rush into this.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Call the dean. You have a valid reason. I can't see why they would deny you the deferrment. They might be a little mad that it sorta messes with their class size and all but they'll get over it.

You need to get your personal life in order before you can start medical school. You want to have almost all your distractions out of the way before you start.

Best of luck and do a search on this topic. It's been asked many times. If you want a person to look over the letter, PM me a copy with your email.

I was in a similar situation except that I requested a deferment for financial reasons. I had called to defer at two schools and they were very cool about. Matter-of-fact, I just told one of the people in the student affairs office and they sent me a form to sign promising them that I won't accept a spot at another school. You ahve a good reason so I don't see a problem at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also in this position this year and I wrote a very honest letter to the dean (emailed directly to the dean) explaining the situation. I emphasized that I was still very dedicated to medicine and that I definetely wanted to go to that school, but that I felt it wasn't the right time. I then went on to explain what I would be doing in the upcoming year (more research and explained extra opportunities that I would be getting from having the extra year). I got an email back from the dean the next day saying it was granted. Hope that helps! I think the schools are much more understanding than we give them credit for.

thanks everyone. i was granted a deferral for one year on friday.

so here's to Drexel Class of 2010!! :luck: