USMLE I'm an IMG, just got 236 in step 1, how bad is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkandil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys
I took my exam july 28th and got my result few minutes ago
step 1: 236

I was expecting more since I scored 265 in UW SA 2 five days before the exam, but again didn't sleep for two days before the test,,,, anxiety :(

How bad is my score? I'm an IMG and aiming for pediatric residency in the next match

Members don't see this ad.

Hey be grateful. I got a 207. Anything is possible. If I can be this happy, so can you. You were shooting for a Tesla, but got a luxury car instead. I was asking for luxury, but got me a civic. Ish happens. Be happy and grateful!

Reactions: 7 users
You should consult Charting outcomes for a numerical answer.
But realistically, 236 is not a bad score. It's above national average. I think you're being a little harsh on yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I want IM, but in the end, no matter what score you get its up to the program director. There are a bunch of stories of people who score well and not get what they wanted. Just keep pushing and hope for the best.

Try to step up on Step 2 - almost everyone I know steps up on Step 2. And try to put together an otherwise flawless application i.e. a couple of research papers and US clinical experience. Paeds is definitely a realistic option! Don't lose heart and keep going. Perseverance is the key in this field. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose but whatever happens, we must keep moving ahead. Good luck! Hopefully you'll report back as a Paeds resident in the US.

IMG can study for step one for a year. But all of us can only spend 1 to 2 month preparing

IMG can study for step one for a year. But all of us can only spend 1 to 2 month preparing

For US med students, it's rare not to be taught the material on the Steps in med school. Studying for steps consists of relearning only some concepts while refreshing all the others. IMGs are not taught the American curriculum and have to learn a lot of USMLE material for the very first time.

Not to mention, for a lot of IMGs, English isn't their first language. So imagine studying complicated medical terms in a foreign language.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For US med students, it's rare not to be taught the material on the Steps in med school.

Not always the case but i understand where you are coming from.

Just commenting because i am a little bitter that my med school (a US school) was not very good at covering the important concepts that were found in every Step 1 review guide, so second year for me was like attending 2 schools at the same time.

Every 4/6 year IMG program that is accredited in USA is usually set up exactly the same way it is in the states. You take your Step 1 after 2nd year and have the summer to do so. Most of the IMG's that you see studying for 6+ months are usually already practicing physicians in their respective countries before deciding to get residency in USA.

Not to lead the discussion into a different angle but requirements from IMG is much higher than AMG. Therefore even if 220 is really good for an AMG for the same program an IMG might fall short of a interview. With that said, 236 is not a bad score at all for either IM or PED. They say with 240 and a good resume you can get into any IM program and 236 isnt that far off.

Agree with people above who said not all IMGs have 6 months or more to study for Step 1. I'm an IMG from Australia but only had about 6 weeks (over a summer) to study for Step 1. Plus in Australia we're not taught anything about Step 1, not even how it's organised or the format, and most of the basic sciences aren't as emphasised in our medical school curriculum so we have to learn a lot of it on our own.

Yeah, but USA has best medical education in the world, english is your native language and you are taught about step 1 from first second you entered into medschool.
I actually know IMGs that had been preparing for step 1 for 1,5 year and still not have taken it:D