IM and Psychiatry Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanaRama

Whats up Doc?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM and Psychiatry Residency Does this kind of residency exsit?
Is it competitive for both DO's and MD's? :)

Thank You :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, it exists. As far as being competitive? Depends...I think someone just needs to have a genuine interest in both. If you have innovative ideas how you can fill a niche, then even more so. Family Med / Psych exists too and I found no problem getting interviews as long as you show interest.

You want to know a tip? Contact those programs BEFORE you send your ERAS application. Ask them plenty of questions...this helps them to keep you from applicants they'll weed out and it will also help you develop your genuine interest in a duel program.

i'm also interested in med/psych, however i've contrary opinions. some say it's a waste because there isn't a huge demand for these med/psych people and most end up practicing general psych. others say there will be a need for these people in the near future. from what i've seen regarding job postings it doesn't sound like they make any more than general psych and most of the jobs are concentrated in academia. any further thoughts would be appreciated.

MOZ

Members don't see this ad :)
MOZ said:
i'm also interested in med/psych, however i've contrary opinions. some say it's a waste because there isn't a huge demand for these med/psych people and most end up practicing general psych. others say there will be a need for these people in the near future. from what i've seen regarding job postings it doesn't sound like they make any more than general psych and most of the jobs are concentrated in academia. any further thoughts would be appreciated.

MOZ

I was really interested in this as a student--liked my med sub-i and all--but realized that eventually I'd be choosing one or the other, and looking at how hard IM residents work, it didn't seem that it would be worth the trouble.

Ask yourself--what do you really want to be doing 8 years from now, and is an extra year of medicine residency (or psych, for that matter) really going to help you do it? Yes, we do need psychiatrists to be strong in medicine--I've got 2 train wrecks on my inpatient unit right now--but you may not need to do a combined residency to acheive that.

Thanks to all who responded :) I do have an interest in both IM and Psyc. I too do not see a demand for this duel residency, but i would like to do some research on it none-the-less. Can anyone provide a few helpful links which discuss IM/Psyc future impact on the profession. :cool:

ps: Does anyone know if DO's are as competitive as MD's for these kind of residencies?- :)

PanaRama said:
Thanks to all who responded :) I do have an interest in both IM and Psyc. I too do not see a demand for this duel residency, but i would like to do some research on it none-the-less. Can anyone provide a few helpful links which discuss IM/Psyc future impact on the profession. :cool:

ps: Does anyone know if DO's are as competitive as MD's for these kind of residencies?- :)

i believe there is a DO in one of the classes at rush's med/psych program which is the largest in the country, so yes it's definitely possible. i'm a DO as well and people i've talked with don't say it's a problem. i think psych as a whole is very DO friendly. i have classmates going to some top psych programs.

MOZ

MOZ said:
i believe there is a DO in one of the classes at rush's med/psych program which is the largest in the country, so yes it's definitely possible. i'm a DO as well and people i've talked with don't say it's a problem. i think psych as a whole is very DO friendly. i have classmates going to some top psych programs.

MOZ

Thanks MOZ. If you don't mind me asking, which Med School did you attend? :cool: