Sometimes I'm tempted to tell people "if you can't accept me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best".

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
But then I bite my tongue, because I remember that this isn't something that patients want to hear from their doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like something you say to your high school crush who rejected you :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Why would a doctor ever say this to a patient? So much wrong with this sentiment and seems very inappropriate.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Why would a doctor ever say this to a patient? So much wrong with this sentiment and seems very inappropriate.
The OP didn’t say they said this to a pt… they feel like saying it at times…and why? Because they are human and tired and beat down…surprised you of all people would not understand this.

Reactions: 4 users
The OP didn’t say they said this to a pt… they feel like saying it at times…and why? Because they are human and tired and beat down…surprised you of all people would not understand this.
Honestly I think this particular statement has always rubbed me wrong. I think it's a bit entitled and arrogant sounding even if one were to consider saying it to someone one had an intimate relationship with, let alone essentially a stranger let alone as a professional in a professional setting. Hence I agreed with poster who implied it's a juvenile statement.

• Love
Ehh pretty sure every one of us has had a similar sentiment at some point and time.

Single best quote from my residency training, from a classic old white haired curmudgeon who had seen it all

"If you don't piss people off sometimes, you're not taking good care of your patients". I've learned this is true in all regards, including pissing off patients themselves. If you don't have someone get upset with you at some point, you aren't a good doctor. I truly believe that. Feel free to throw hate my way.

The setting for my first adventure with this was getting reamed by a PCP for stopping their DAPT on a patient with absolutely no indication. Their indication was "I know my patients and what they need better than you". In reality this guy just stopped reading literature 15 years ago.

The old. old version of this statement...

"I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."
Popeye

Reactions: 1 users
Count me as one of the people wondering when this would even come up in a conversation with a patient. (i'm a radiologist)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This may be a joke going over everyone's heads; it reads like a classic bait-and-switch:

After seeing title: oh, this poster is going to talk about relationship drama stemming from some personal flaw.
After seeing the post: wait, does this mean the poster did something bad to the patient and is using this as an inappropriate excuse?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I think this particular statement has always rubbed me wrong. I think it's a bit entitled and arrogant sounding even if one were to consider saying it to someone one had an intimate relationship with, let alone essentially a stranger let alone as a professional in a professional setting. Hence I agreed with poster who implied it's a juvenile statement.
Agree. It reminds me of the statement/sentiment "I'm not mean, I'm just honest". It's like people want to have a way to explain away acting poorly.

Reactions: 1 users

if you can't accept me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best​

is usually said by someone whose worst is really bad and best is slightly above average

• Haha
  • Wow

I’ve always viewed it more like the wedding vows “for better or worse” in that if you aren’t willing to help see someone through their toughest challenges or lowest points, which we all go through at some point in our lives, you really don’t deserve the good parts. i view it as sort of like saying you can’t just be a fair weather friend. that’s usually the context i’ve seen it used in.

I’ve always viewed it more like the wedding vows “for better or worse” in that if you aren’t willing to help see someone through their toughest challenges or lowest points, which we all go through at some point in our lives, you really don’t deserve the good parts. i view it as sort of like saying you can’t just be a fair weather friend. that’s usually the context i’ve seen it used in.
I think that was its original intent, at least I hope so. But it often gets used as an excuse for bad behavior and not at least trying to be your best.

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone acts in ways they regret or are not proud of at times, but actually people who genuinely care about you as a person should not endlessly tolerate horse**** and should challenge you when you're being a putz. You can support someone wholeheartedly without validating the invalid. A good friend is someone who can look you in the eye and tell you you're being an idiot.

This is a Facebook status post people posted ad nauseum in 2010.

• Haha
Everyone acts in ways they regret or are not proud of at times, but actually people who genuinely care about you as a person should not endlessly tolerate horse**** and should challenge you when you're being a putz. You can support someone wholeheartedly without validating the invalid. A good friend is someone who can look you in the eye and tell you you're being an idiot.

This is true, too. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.