IM audition at site I already rotated through 3rd year?

Started by popopopop
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

popopopop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm going into IM and have a semi-reach site I'd like to match to. This place might be ultimately my #1. I did a 3rd year core IM rotation in the fall and got a great LOR, good evals, much networking. I'm still in contact with a few residents there. My question is if you were in my shoes, would you do an actual audition/sub-i there in your 4th year? The purpose really is to pop my head back in and don't let them forget me since it's been a year. My concern is that I show up, get unlucky somehow with a different team/attending, and not look as good as I did during 3rd year, sort of ruining something that wasn't broken.

Should I just forget it and use that month for an elective? It would be around winter and I should have two previous IM auditions planned, making me stronger going in. Thanks for the advice!
 
Last edited:
I did that, actually. Ended up doing very well and i think it gave an even better impression of me than before. Still my #1
 
I did that, actually. Ended up doing very well and i think it gave an even better impression of me than before. Still my #1

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting about 50/50 opinions about it at the moment. I can see how it's ultimately in my hands how I perform there.
 
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting about 50/50 opinions about it at the moment. I can see how it's ultimately in my hands how I perform there.
I won’t lie, because it was my top choice going into it, i was definitely more nervous and my anxiety was higher for fear of messing up. It ultimately settled as i was working with attendings/residents i already know so i was more at ease